Skwerl's first hot rod

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Not sure, something in the tune. Maybe he forgot to load the cam values?

Gotta be careful treading there. Remember the shit storm that happened the last time I said there was an issue with one of Justin's tunes? :roflmao:

Justin00Stang

Reaction score
Not sure, something in the tune. Maybe he forgot to load the cam values?

Gotta be careful treading there. Remember the shit storm that happened the last time I said there was an issue with one of Justin's tunes? :roflmao:

Lol or you were running a tune not made for cams.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm changing the oil tonight for the first time. Got about 250 total miles on the new motor and it's going on the dyno tomorrow. I also need to flush the coolant reservoir because it now has oily residue in it from the new engine but that won't be today.

I spoke with Justin and mentioned my concern over the very high IAT's I'm seeing and it looks like I will most likely dial back the boost a little. The little TVS1900 may be able to push 15-16 lbs but it generates way too much heat for my liking. I'm at 13 lbs now and seeing 165-175 degrees on the IAT gauge driving around town. My first rule for this car is that it remains a street car so something needs to change. Justin also said that the cams can contribute to higher IAT's so it's probably not all due to the blower. Regardless, I'm not leaving it like this.

On the other hand the power is really nice! :snoopy

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I'm changing the oil tonight for the first time. Got about 250 total miles on the new motor and it's going on the dyno tomorrow. I also need to flush the coolant reservoir because it now has oily residue in it from the new engine but that won't be today.

I spoke with Justin and mentioned my concern over the very high IAT's I'm seeing and it looks like I will most likely dial back the boost a little. The little TVS1900 may be able to push 15-16 lbs but it generates way too much heat for my liking. I'm at 13 lbs now and seeing 165-175 degrees on the IAT gauge driving around town. My first rule for this car is that it remains a street car so something needs to change. Justin also said that the cams can contribute to higher IAT's so it's probably not all due to the blower. Regardless, I'm not leaving it like this.

On the other hand the power is really nice! :snoopy

Skwerl, you IATs worry me. I don't think its the blower making all that heat. Something is not right. You should not see those temps at all.

I never saw those temps with my M90 with a 12% overdrive and 2.49" pulley in FL summers!! In the winter my cruising IATs were under 100.

Something is not right!!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I used an infrared digital thermometer today to check the blower and intake. Both were 175-180 degrees and my IAT was about 160. The intercooler water was about 87 and flowing strong. I used a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the intercooler system and held 20" of vacuum on it for about 6-7 minutes to make sure there were no air pockets. Justin did not seem surprised or concerned about it. I may not know as much as he does but I'm not willing to keep driving my car with 165 degree IAT's.

He said we may need to put a larger pulley on the blower and get a longer belt, but if it comes to that I'll pull the 10% overdrive crank pulley. No need to overspin all my accessories if we aren't going to overspin the blower. I'll let him see what kind of power it makes first and then dial it back to where I can drive it on the street without issues.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck today, just read this thread last night, very entertaining.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, good luck on the dyno, I'm sure you'll have great results.

Regarding the IATs, you should not be getting 165 degree temps, unless you are in dead middle of summer, stuck in traffic for 30 mins, and then just started the car after being parked for 15 mins.

The highest AITs I experienced where 155 and that was in the middle of summer in staging lines after a run. I typically averaged 145 as hot. Cruising was 110-120 in the summer time. Winter was 95-110. All these temps were in FL.

Have you replaced the IAT sensor? Have you double checked your wiring splice and such?
What is the routing of your coolant lines? Are you sure you are flowing in the right direction?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Just got back from the dyno, spent all day working on getting it dialed in as well as testing out different configurations. Justin wasn't as concerned about the IAT's as I am and he explained it as being a result of the ported heads and cams allowing hot air to backflow through the intake valves at idle. This is why the IAT's will instantly drop by 20-25 degrees as soon as I take off from a stop. So for now the solution is to adjust the tune so it doesn't pull timing at low throttle positions (taking off from a stop) regardless of the IAT. He also bumped the temp threshold from 135 to 160. I'll still monitor my intake air temps but at least now it won't affect driveability until it hits 160 instead of 135.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me because Justin hasn't emailed me the dyno sheets yet, but with the tune I've been running for the last week I was at 545 rwhp. Justin tweaked that to about 565, then we began trying different configurations. With some Torco, a 66mm pulley and a VMP twin 67mm throttle body I hit 640/588. I drove it in that configuration around town to get the driveability dialed in and I could blow the tires off in third gear. Unfortunately I don't have the new dual fuel pumps installed yet so I was losing fuel pressure at higher rpm. We dropped back the boost to the same pulley I had before (I think it's a 72mm) which should put me in the high 500's. I'm going to try it out and monitor the IAT situation for the next week or two and we'll go from there.

Just got the email from Justin with my dyno sheet.

f7718d69-5563-456d-afca-96586c9f083b.jpg

Last edited:

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
Dayammm! Very nice, ill be joining the boosted bullitt crew tonight. I wonder what its like to drive a 600whp car.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, driving a 600HP car is pure bliss!!!!

Being able to smoke the tires and leave tire marks for 1/8 of a mile is awesome!!!!

Damn, Skwerl, you are making me look bad...why did I spend all this money on a 2.3L TVS and all the other crap!!?? You're making as much power as me with less!!!

Man can Justin dial in AFRs... lol

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks, Gerald. Your build was actually my inspiration except I didn't have your budget. I've still spent way more than I ever imagined but it's been a real blast learning how to put all the pieces together. I tried to build the car to handle the power before building the power so now it's time to find out if I did all my homework correctly. Other than fuel and possibly brakes I think I'm close to being finished.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, nice numbers! BTW Brian you are kidding yourself if you think you will be done after the fuel system and brakes. YOU WILL NEVER BE DONE! lol

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Brian, definitely love what you have done. Numbers look great and the car seems like it is preforming great. How you kept it simple, but built it thoroughly was done tastefully.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've definitely turned away from the beaten path on several items because of my insistence that the car remain a street car first. In fact I may end up rebuilding or replacing the rear end soon because of the drone that has set up in the gears when cruising at highway speeds. Thanks for all the compliments, guys. It means a lot to me.

I'll get a video or two posted shortly. I recorded a couple dyno pulls and need to see if any of them are worth uploading.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back