Skwerl's first hot rod

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Yup, that's Justin. He told me today that he subscribed to my thread here so he could keep up. He also told me that most of his customers don't even monitor IAT's or mention pulled timing, they just drive it. What he told me about the heads and cams made sense though.

Something to consider with the stage 2 heads is the lower compression. It's only a little lower than stock but the stage 3 is a little higher than stock. And the new Boss motors are coming with 11-1 compression so if went with the stage 2 heads I'd also go with higher compression pistons.

Recall.
We changed pistons on that short block I bought to 10:1

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Another thought I just had....

At that HP, is there any concern for belt slippage?
This Summer when it gets hot that belt is going to be really soft/pliable.
Just wondering if Justin is thinking about this after seeing your car hit 640.

Damn, another thought...
Still haven't fully decided on buying Stage 2 heads or sending my stockers to be worked.
Since the higher compression helps cool it down, should I have whichever head I decide to go with, decked?
That should bump the compression a little more, right?
Which is what I want?

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Guys, you want to remember my build...

I have 9.8:1 compression...yes high compression yields horsepower, but it also mandates high octane fuel-race fuel!!!

Lower compression allows you to run higher boost with less of a requirement to run high octane.

If you want to run high boost on pump gas, lower compression is desired.
If you want to run lower boost and be more efficient, then higher compression...on pump gas.

I am limited to 600RWHP because of my limit of pump gas and high compression!!

I personally think the way to go is with lower compression like the old P-51 block; I think it had 8.5:1 or something like that.

I am also pondering the FRPP CNC-Ported heads because they will lower my compression a few points; 0.2-0.3 or so.
Not much of a difference. I still can't run 20 PSI without race fuel or E85.

Oh BTW Justin, is that a new in ground dyno!!!???

Last edited:

Justin00Stang

Reaction score
I have a lot more tricks up my sleeve for squirrels car, too. This is just a jumping off point, a really good one lol.

No signs of slip, he does have a 8 rib balancer but we were talking he may not need it. The gm guys use the 1900 alot and say the rotor pack is so light and efficient that it puts very little strain on the belt.

I have tuned several 8.5cr p51s,they get to about 600rwhp but going much higher is tough, I did one around 620 with cams. It's a game of throw more boost but you're at 20psi and the belt slips.

This blower does so well because it has a good inlet port and his motor is nice too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Lamotta Performance had a dyno day today. They are a local shop that specializes in Mustangs. Even though they said that VMP has a 'happy dyno' and theirs won't post numbers as high, I still managed a 568/529 with the 72mm pulley and street tune.

IMG_2451.jpg

Justin00Stang

Reaction score
Sounds about right for two pulley sizes and pump timing. Cool.

Justin00Stang

Reaction score
6 worked good with 66mm pulley. Not sure there is a need for 8.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Brian, thats with a 6 rib setup to correct? Are you planning to stay with a 6 rib?

Ray,
As Justin said, we had no slipping with the 66mm pulley. Look at the dyno sheet. He also said the GM guys like the TVS1900 because the rotors are lighter than the 2300 and their belts don't slip. I have the crank pulley for an 8 rib belt but it doesn't look like I'll need it.

Chris, the TVS is very street friendly. Much more so than my Hot Rod cams. The heads and cams are contributing a substantial amount of horsepower though, I don't know if you could hit these numbers with stock heads. Consider that I'm still running the exact same pulley I had on my stock motor and it was at 505/495.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
You certainly have the mph to dip into the 10's. We just need to get some cool weather already...it seems like all the other states have take that from us. Even vega was possibly calling for some snow flurries recently...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
My second pass was against my friend John who owns a 2012 GT/CS Roush (5.0, TVS2300). Our MPH was almost identical but he ran 10.863 @ 127.91. He's got an automatic though and I lost him on the shifts. I was less than a car length behind him at the finish line.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back