Smart Junction Box Blues...

1FastS197

Reaction score
okay, I have a 2005 Mustang GT... I've done a heck of a lot of searching on this thing... I have the dreaded water leak on the passenger side... I'm going to tear into it tonight and see if there is any water in the plugs... my question is, do I need to get a new one if there is water in it? I know I have read that some have reflashed the SJB and said all was well but how do I know when one is toast? I appreciate the help!

1FastS197

Reaction score
I forgot to put my problems... sometimes it will draw on the battery like something is staying on, I have no idea what tho... front shaker system is not working, good friend owns a speaker shop and said its not getting power to the front amp and the front door speakers aren't working... horn blows twice instead of once now like a lot of others I have read about... sometimes I can open the door and it will not shut off the radio and then other times it works great...

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
The Shaker may be the source of your battery drain issues, I have read reports of that. As far as inspecting the SJB, just tear into it. Make sure to look behind it as well.

I'm guessing you've already fixed the issue that is causing the leakage? It's a 10 minute job if you haven't.

1FastS197

Reaction score
The Shaker may be the source of your battery drain issues, I have read reports of that. As far as inspecting the SJB, just tear into it. Make sure to look behind it as well.

I'm guessing you've already fixed the issue that is causing the leakage? It's a 10 minute job if you haven't.

I got caught up with the honey do's last night and couldn't get out to the shop to work on it. What's the issue with the shakers? From what Robbie (speaker shop owner) said is it wasn't getting power to the amp, is this something I need to check into? The battery draw problem is the worst thing to me, its in a shop so it doesn't get rained on anymore unless I'm caught in a shower while driving. That's fun enough without having to worry about leakage on wore out drag radials, lol.

1FastS197

Reaction score
well thanks for the info but I have an Alpine head unit... I thought it might be something to do with the shaker amp...

1FastS197

Reaction score
I know there aren't many people looking at this thread but here's what I found last night...

SJB1.jpg

SJB2.jpg

this sucks...

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Clean all contacts out with something that doesn't eat plastics or the printed circuit board coating.
Then put a little dielectric grease on all the contacts.
All those connectors can be taken apart to be cleaned.
You can also try using those small dental brushes designed to fit between teeth instead.
Be sure to disconnect the battery before you start.

Make sure you remove the cowl and seal up the area in question.
It really doesn't take that long to do. Certainly a lot less time than screwing around cleaning electrical contacts.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Clean all contacts out with something that doesn't eat plastics or the printed circuit board coating.
Then put a little dielectric grease on all the contacts.
All those connectors can be taken apart to be cleaned.
You can also try using those small dental brushes designed to fit between teeth instead.
Be sure to disconnect the battery before you start.

Make sure you remove the cowl and seal up the area in question.
It really doesn't take that long to do. Certainly a lot less time than screwing around cleaning electrical contacts.

im having a bitch of a time getting the damn wiper blade arms off.....

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im having a bitch of a time getting the damn wiper blade arms off.....

No need to. Turn the wipers on so they go vertical and turn the key off.
You only need to remove the passenger side cowl.
2 plastic screws near the battery.
There is also a cabin air filter while you are in there.
It takes less than 1 minute.

EDIT Added Photos.
Look at the seam near the bottom left. You can see places where their foam is inadequate.

Don't forget to clean out the drain.

Last edited:

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i was gonna rtv all those little plugs under the cowl that leak, also where you said look at the foam i'm not sure exactly what i'm looking at, i assume thats where the cabin air filter goes.

already bought the cabin filter mines got ooooh about 50k miles on it since i changed it. was pretty gnarly looking lol.

so i cut the bottom off the rubber gromet in the drain to open the hole up bigger,
should help prevent any further issues.( last 2 photos)

wtf are these little black things(first image)? these where the things i thought needed to be sealed

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31562
the diy fix it thread says this is the problem area, i will seal up both just in case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The first 2 pics are where the cowl cover clips into.
Look in the corner towards the passenger fender.
Those are the seams that leak water ( my first pic)

1FastS197

Reaction score
thanks for the post everyone, I haven't had time to really mess with it but I think I'm going to try a new relay but I imagine the SJB is screwed. My turn signals blink at different speeds, the driver's side act's like its on crack. I'm going to fix the leaking issue but I have a cowl hood and its rather hard to get the cowl panel off with the hood over it, I haven't tried yet but I will.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for the post everyone, I haven't had time to really mess with it but I think I'm going to try a new relay but I imagine the SJB is screwed. My turn signals blink at different speeds, the driver's side act's like its on crack. I'm going to fix the leaking issue but I have a cowl hood and its rather hard to get the cowl panel off with the hood over it, I haven't tried yet but I will.

mine did the weird blinker when it was wet as well.

i honestly would replace the whole thing fuses and all, buy some dielctrical grease for all the connectors as well.

ive got the box out of the car just waiting on a wiper arm puller tool, then i'm gonna seal everything up

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
The turn signal issue sounds like the relay is shot.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back