So why don't 10in wide square setups work?

jonthewick

Reaction score
Are there other offsets that would allow for the 1" drop without widening the fenders and still not run into the suspension? Thank you for the help.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, the most well known is the wheel that we did all the legwork for. The 18x10 et43 which we had made by D-Force. We have also used et42, which is the limit of what Forgestar can do in an 18x10. That size can be rotated front to rear, usually without spacers. If you run a 295 on the front, it -may- need a 3mm spacer depending on how diligent you are about not gaining any camber in the strut-spindle bolts.

FWIW, the 295 on an 18x10et43 is my favorite daily driver wheel and tire setup for the S197. There is no fender rolling or additional rear suspension parts required. Even camber plates are not necessary, though they help in other ways.

_DSF6052%20copy-M.jpg

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
I'll add to the list.

I am running 18x10 +42 Forgestar F14 on all 4 corners with 295/30/18 Toyo R888 for the track. No rubbing, no problems (Brembo Brakes) There is plenty of room for a taller sidewall as well, which I'll likely do next time, just got a great price on the 30 series.

I also have 18x9.5 +45 Enkei PF01 for the street. Currently on those are Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 285/35/18 No rubbing, no problems there.

American Muscle lists the Forgestars on their site as rear only, but you can order 4 of them if you want and they will fit over big brake kits and have no problems even on a lowered car up front.
Square Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 295/30 R18 Toyo R888 ... in Action:

Laguna Seca - 11-23-12 by surfergeek, on Flickr

Perfect.

jonthewick

Reaction score
So I found a new rim thats 18x10 with a +45mm offset,its my understanding that spacers can get me to +43 or 42 if I have clearance issues, is that the case? Possibly with the need of longer wheel studs. Thanks again for the help.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
The +38 will protrude in the back (may need a tiny spacer I the front) and the +45 will need a spacer in the front but should fit better in the rear.

Last edited:

garner

forum member
Reaction score
Would I have any clearance issues running 295/35/18 on 18x10 AM 10th anniversary wheels(7.27 BS, ET45) while being lowered 1" on roush struts and lowering springs?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Would I have any clearance issues running 295/35/18 on 18x10 AM 10th anniversary wheels(7.27 BS, ET45) while being lowered 1" on roush struts and lowering springs?

Probably not.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
So would I be able to run a Forgestar CF5 18x10 square setup on my mustang. I have 09 GT500 4 piston brembos and the specs for this wheel per american muscle is +42mm offset and 7.1in backspacing. Please let me know. My current wheels are 18x9.5 square setup with a +45mm and 7in backspacing.

Last edited:

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
The wheels would be fine, what rubber are you thinking of putting on them?

cheers
Ed

I just checked a few mins before you replied wit a company in this page and he said yes so I went to order them! 275/40/18 street comps

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
My 20x10 +48mm just barely clear up front, but they don't require a spacer. I've considered running one on them as they are still tucked in a couple millimeters more than I'd like them to be.

What are the max safe spacers to run on an S197? It looks like I could maybe use 1/8" spacers safely, but the 1/4" may be too much on the stock wheel studs.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Even 1/8" spacers for strut clearance makes me a bit uneasy, for reasons involving lug nut thread engagement length, OE stud strength, and possibly wheel centering depending on how the wheel design treats the back side of the big center hole (a chamfered hole + a spacer could make a hub-centric wheel become lug-centric). The available thread engagement length depends on the wheels' center section thickness, which is likely to vary among the various wheel designs, meaning that some wheels could leave you with more thread length to play with than others.

For appearance, perhaps a different tire in the same size that measures slightly wider could be a solution. Or maybe a 10mm wider tire in the same profile if you've got more than 5 mm strut side clearance. I honestly don't know - do people actually notice differences of 5mm or less in where the outer sidewalls of the tires are sitting, and if so is it reasonable for such a small difference to either make or break the whole presentation of your car?

Norm

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
The 285/30 Nitto NT555's are actually slightly narrower than the 20x10" AMR wheels. The wheels themselves are maybe 3mm from the strut body. I may just use a camber bolt in the top bolt hole on the front strut to dial out a little static camber and enlarge that spacing as opposed to moving the wheel with a spacer.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Was looking at the wheel spacers from Maximum Motorsports as opposed to universal ones from EBAY and here's what they have to say:

• Longer wheel studs are usually not required with these 1/8" spacers.
  • You must check the amount of wheel stud thread engagement on your car to ensure that at least 6 threads are fully engaged in the lug nut after installing the wheel spacer.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
As much as I respect the guys at MM, 6 threads just sounds too low for 1/2"-20 threads. One bolt diameter (a common thread engagement guideline) = 10 threads . . .

Norm

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I understand where norm is coming from on this as most will. However, I have been running spacers from auto zone for about 3 years. I believe they are 5/16" or 7.96mm??

You can run these however it is possible that you could get a slight vibration from them. Not saying you will, not saying you wont. I havent had any issues with mine personally. I will say that the wheel design matters. If the back side of the hub is thick then you will have less thread engagement. Im right at that 6 round limit on my stock wheels. I guess it comes down to are you willing to take that chance.... You could consider that spacer and buying some lug nuts that sink into the lug hole.

Something like these from Jegs http://www.jegs.com/i/Weld-Racing/927/601-1424/10002/-1

This is just a thought

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
This style, referred to as an "E-T" nut because E-T wheels back in the day used them, will fit in the lug hole on most wheels, and get you some extra thread engagement:

7802-2.jpg

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I searched and found several comments saying the GT4 18x10 work on stock 05-09 GT calipers up front without spacers. Before I pull the trigger, has anyone had direct experience with this setup?
AM has the chrome ones on clearance now...$89/ea.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back