Some results of my weekend detail

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Just getting started in this whole thing. Car is a 2006 Tungsten Gray Mustang GT I don't really have any before pictures to show how bad the paint was because honestly, it wasn't horribly bad. I just wish the factory orange peel wasn't so horrible. Guy that owned the car before me took care of it and I avoid car washes and use a good washing mitt. However, and I should be scolded for this, I haven't waxed the car in 4 years. As such, there is some water etching in the clear coat that I couldn't get out. Primarily on the roof and the rear spoiler. Swirling was really minor. Worse thing I had to deal with was wet sanding some residue/etching from where there used to be some pinstriping that ran along the upper body belt line.

Steps.
Chemical Guys Honeydew using two-bucket method with grit guards and microfiber mitt
Meguiars Clay Bar/Quick Detailer kit
Meguiars M105 with LC Hydro Cyan at 6 with Harbor Freight DA
Meguiars M205 with LC Hydro Tangerine at 6 with Harbor Freight DA
Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid with LC Hydro Crimson at 4 with Harbor Freight DA
Chemical Guys Petes 53-Pearl Paste Wax
Mothers Back to Black on trim

I still need to do the windows (some water spot etching on those). Wheels/tires haven't been done on this round but normally I use a combination of Sonex Full Effect and Castrol Super Clean. Door jams, trunk area still need to be done as does a full interior detail. Will need to rewash the car for some final photos. Unfortunately I have no garage and my magnolia trees (4 of them) are blooming so the car is already being covered with pollen.

Any tips advice is appreciated.

Here's an example of the old pinstripe that I had to wet sand.
oldpinstripe-vi.jpg

Love those reflections.
052613002-vi.jpg

052613003-vi.jpg

052613005-vi.jpg

28ONE

Reaction score
Looks good bro, orange peel isnt noticeable on my black 06. Not sure I would have the balls to wetsand my car. The vertical panels are the challenge for me, especially with the Flex.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I would love to wet sand the whole thing to get rid of some of the orange peel. I think I love the car enough that one day I might just do an entire repaint. I still have a California front bumper for it (as well as other things) and I'd actually like to switch to a cowl induction style hood at some point. Maybe if I treat it right it would be worth it. We can't all be Darren though.

Sent from my iPhone

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Even a repaint would require a good wet sanding and buffing. I have a 2012 gmc and its loaded with orange peel. I keep telling myself Im gonna sand and buff a panel at a time but I never get around to it.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Even a repaint would require a good wet sanding and buffing. I have a 2012 gmc and its loaded with orange peel. I keep telling myself Im gonna sand and buff a panel at a time but I never get around to it.

Yeah but I wouldn't have the fear of going through the clear. Wish manufacturers weren't so cheap when it came to clear coat.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Not only have I been really bad about having not waxed the car in 4 years but I wasn't doing the best job on the interior either. Here's a shot of the leather seats.

6684_10151427761339149_1446453913_n.jpg

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Not only have I been really bad about having not waxed the car in 4 years but I wasn't doing the best job on the interior either. Here's a shot of the leather seats.

6684_10151427761339149_1446453913_n.jpg

Holy crap, dude....lol.
Nice clean up, for sure.

HIVOLTJ

Reaction score
Next time get out of the car when you have to go #2!

Back