something strange during launching at dragstrip

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure who has experienced this. Has happened to me a few times and was happening to a friend alot this past test and tune.

With the traction control completely off and getting a decent launch it feels like the traction control comes on and pulls timing or something. The car has no power. Mine has only done it in first and is fine when shifting to second. My friend said his did it in 1 and 2 gear. His car is totally stock save for mufflers and drag radials.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The computer pulling timing with knock detection?

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has done it with all stages it has been in, n/a and boosted, headers and no headers.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
5 OH BRIAN on here had the same problem. I can't remember what the fix was but he was able to get it lined out somehow.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Any idea what your intake-air temps are?

My '07 Charger ran great but launching at the track sucked hairy donkey balls cuz of all the sitting/idling it did in the staging lanes, which was raising the IAT's into the 150+ range ... I've seen them as high as 170-something ....

The computer was going nuts trying to make power with that hot air, that's for sure ...

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Any idea what your intake-air temps are?

My '07 Charger ran great but launching at the track sucked hairy donkey balls cuz of all the sitting/idling it did in the staging lanes, which was raising the IAT's into the 150+ range ... I've seen them as high as 170-something ....

The computer was going nuts trying to make power with that hot air, that's for sure ...

Mine is usually between 80 and 110 degrees.

05stang

Reaction score
Not sure who has experienced this. Has happened to me a few times and was happening to a friend alot this past test and tune.

With the traction control completely off and getting a decent launch it feels like the traction control comes on and pulls timing or something. The car has no power. Mine has only done it in first and is fine when shifting to second. My friend said his did it in 1 and 2 gear. His car is totally stock save for mufflers and drag radials.

Mine was doing the same thing, data log showed the fuel pump was running dry at launch. When it did that i had less than a 1/4 of gas. Lito suggested to run with more than 1/4 of gas, so i did and it launched way better without falling on its face.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing, data log showed the fuel pump was running dry at launch. When it did that i had less than a 1/4 of gas. Lito suggested to run with more than 1/4 of gas, so i did and it launched way better without falling on its face.

I thought that was my problem. Its has done it with a half tank. FML

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any data logs the forum geeks can look at?

JerryC

Reaction score
Could it be that you get the big jump from the launch and it is just that once the stored energy of the flywheel is gone it feels like it is losing power?

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
Are you just turning traction control off or are you holding the brake and then the traction control button for approximately 10 seconds to completely disable AdvanceTrac?

Just hitting the button ones disables traction control. The moment the car detects any slip angle the stability control kicks in and reduces power, applies brakes, etc.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Its definately not losing power. If it was it would do this everytime I launch.

When I turn the traction control off, I turn it all the way off. I hold the button down with the brake on.

TurboFocus

forum member
Reaction score
The torque management in the stock tune will still close the throttle body even with the trac control turned off

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back