Sound Deadening

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Not many threads at all on sound deadening so I figured I would bring this up...

My door panel leather is sagging and soon I'll be taking the panels off to glue the leather back in place. I figured that while I had the skins off, I might as well upgrade the stock speakers with these mentioned in this thread:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83755

So while I'm doing all that, I may as well do a little bit of deadening (rattles drive me &#%^$& crazy after having my 01 Tahoe with 2 12's. I've only noticed some slight vibration behind the doors when pushing the stock shaker 500 a little bit and figured that upgrading the speakers would only add to it.

When I'm doing this, should I just use a square cutout of the deadener around the speaker, or are there certain other areas on the doors and rear deck I should apply it to?

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
depends on how far your want to take your sound deadener. Some just do around the speaker, others do the whole door.

On my 06 GT, I did my whole doors cause of all the little rattles. Once done, it shut solid again.

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I ever do it over again, I'll just do it around the speaker. I didn't feel that the entire door was all that necessary. The mirror and sub cover had more rattles than the rest of the door in my 05.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
What was the name of the deadener you were using? I remember on sound deadener showdown, they recommended butyl backed over anything else because the other materials were prone to melting and running. Dynamat is the standard for sound deadener, but I know there's probably better stuff out there for less money. I've heard good things about second skin, but not much else.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a bulk pack of dynamat. I got it awhile ago on ebay. It's all the same to me, but I'm sure audiophiles would say different.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
If I ever do it over again, I'll just do it around the speaker. I didn't feel that the entire door was all that necessary. The mirror and sub cover had more rattles than the rest of the door in my 05.

I did some research on this years ago and really, with Dynamat you only really need to cover (going from memory) like 25% of the area. But that just dampens the vibration on the area. If you want to actually sound deaden, you need to do the Dynamat (or similar product), a layer of close cell foam and then vinyl over it all.

Again, I'm going from memory on that. I can try and dig up the old information I found if needed...but that's what I was planning on doing in my old 01 Cobra.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
I too have a rattle/squeak from the mirror on the driver side and some small rattles/vibrations from the exhaust I want to deaden a bit. I'll probably put some around the speakers and other spots I can see in the door, around the speakers on the rear deck, and possibly the trunk as well. I'm not looking for a professional level here, just enough to stop the small stuff.

dlrs14

forum member
Reaction score
If your just doing a small system, just doing sections is fine. Though the more you do the happier you'll be. Check out a company called second skin audio. They have a product called damplifer pro. It's a butyl backed deadener. I used it to do my entire car, from floor to roof. Huge difference, no more rattles, way reduced road noise and helped with the dreaded exhaust drone. Did add a good amount of weight but it was worth it imo.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back