special insurance for track days?

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
Since my car isn't paid for and worth some good $, is there such a thing as track day insurance for regular cars?

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
:roflmao:

you think the insurance company is going to want to pay you for a car you wreck while having fun and you knew there's a chance of you wrecking?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Umm no... lol if you smash your car at the track better get that ass towed home and near a pole.

j/k don't do that it's illegal!

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
There is track insurance. IIRC It costs about 200/ event and has a $1500 deductable. That will obviously change depending on the value that you claim for your car

Last edited:

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
If you biff it and you're lucky, your insurance MAY cover it, depending on the event type and the details in your insurance policy. If they do cover you, you can expect high premiums if they don't drop you entirely.

I have heard of people wrecking at the track and having it towed off to some remote location and claiming it was wrecked on a public road. As someone else pointed out, this is rather illegal (insurance fraud), and immoral.

There are supplemental insurance policies available, but I think for cars in our price range, you can expect to drop +/- $200 per event, but it has been a while since I checked (forget where..try google).

Most people just say 'Don't drive beyond your abilities and you'll be fine.' And that's true for the most part..but doesn't account for other people's jackassery, mechanical failures, etc.

Just remember the saying, "Don't take anything to the track that you can't afford to leave there." But also keep in mind, most people are just fine. Keep your head on straight, don't drive beyond your abilities, and keep an eye on others around you, and there's a 99.9% chance you'll be just fine too.

Last edited:

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
No offense...I knew the insurance existed...or atleast heard of it...thanks for laughing at a serious and legit question and being totally wrong ... I guess I should of been more specific and said if you know what your talking about please reply lol

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
I bit the wall at the track and reported it to my insurance. Since it was a "driver education" event they covered it but they did investigate it somewhat. I don't think I'd get away with another claim.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
It is all in the insurance policy details. Some say the policy is void if you are being timed, or if it is real racing...winners, runner-ups, etc. Some, like mine, state that merely being on a surface used for racing is enough to nullify the policy...it makes no difference if I am participating in a 10 MPH parade lap or a demo derby..

JimC

Reaction score
Here is another insurance for racing
http://www.racecarinsurance.net/

I talked with them and for drag racing it has to be at a NHRA or IHRA track - but it was only about $200 a season as I recall.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Yeah, insurance fraud is never a good idea. Is it worth your job and freedom? I don't think so....

sqidds

Banned
Reaction score
Most of the bigger insurance companies will cover your car at the track if you are taking a school. From what I have seen they will cover you as long as there is no contest of speed. That includes having a lap timer I the car. Call your agent and have them look up the fine print. Most insurance companies cover driving school because they think you are becoming a better driver. That being said, if they cover it get it in wiring.

I have my car insured through Haggerty because Allstate wouldn’t cover my mods, especially if it was stolen. And having $40K in mods made me nervous. Their rates were FAR less than Allstate and they are covering just about the complete value of the car. I had to jump through a few hoops but it was well worth the time. Here is a link:

http://www.hagerty.com/

dkegel

forum member
Reaction score
Some of this depends on the state you live in. From what I have learned, in IL for example, if I am anywhere near a race track and crash my car I'm hosed (exaggerating a bit here, but you get my point). In NC, insurance will cover you if you wreck on a race track. The first time at least. :)

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
It use to be the case that if you (1) did not participate in timed events; (2) did not participate in a race; and (3) did not participate in events that led to a racing license with your car, the big insurance companies would provide coverage for an accident that occurred during these non-timed/racing events (at least once).

However, many of these companies have recently adjusted their policies to refuse coverage if you file a claim for damages while participating in ANY activity while on a professional race track or course.

I recommend you don't call your insurance company to verify this type of coverage - just read your policy. There have been instances, according to some that participate in HPDE, where an insurance company simply cancelled their policy on the spot when a client asked about these types of simple coverage questions.

That why these specialty HPDE insurance policies are growing in popularity. Quality insurance companies that participate in motorsports and provide specific coverage options for HPDE, time trial and race participants.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back