Spherical bushing/end noise

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just installed a BMR UCA Mount, BMR Spherical UCA, and a UPR spherical axle housing bushing. I am running bias ply MTs, urethane UCAs, relocation brackets, and strange adjustable rear shocks. Is this noise normal? It only does it on decel but not when braking or accelerating, I have assured everything is tight. Is this noise just the nature of the beast of having spherical on the UCA and spherical on the axle housing bushing?

Note: I ran a different brand UCA w/ spherical rod end but with a stock mount and stock rubber axle bushing and it did not make this noise.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Not surprising....but I would not call it normal.

Post pics of the set-up.

Something is not right, I assume.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a jiffy-pop back there.....

I don't have that noise but I do have a terrible whine as speed increases. Almost intolerable at 80mph. Same under acceleration, steady state or deceleration.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
I think, having both the chassis and differential, with spherical bearings is the cause. I wen with the chassis spherical and the diff with ES bushings, and I no noise.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
I think, having both the chassis and differential, with spherical bearings is the cause. I wen with the chassis spherical and the diff with ES bushings, and I no noise.

Yeah you are probably right. When I had just a spherical UCA and rubber axle housing bushing I had no noise.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have heim joints with the solid bushing and no noise. Why are there no threads going though the nut on the bushing side? Does your uca have the brace on one side and not the other?

Attachments

• uca4-v_2.530.jpg
    uca4-v_2.530.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
I have heim joints with the solid bushing and no noise. Why are there no threads going though the nut on the bushing side? Does your uca have the brace on one side and not the other?

That is how long the bolt is I guess, it was like that with my previous UCA and stock rubber bushing as well. It threads to about the very end of the nut. My UCA does not have a UCA brace, see attached.

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
See the bolt in this pic? That is how every uca i have done is.

Attachments

• 1i26b9.jpg
    1i26b9.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 9

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If they used the wrong size bolt or dident torque it to spec it would be loose and explain the noise. Im wondering if they torqued the bolt that goes under the back seat properly too.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
If they used the wrong size bolt or dident torque it to spec it would be loose and explain the noise. Im wondering if they torqued the bolt that goes under the back seat properly too.

I was talking about my previous UCA. I installed this one and the mount, also all of the bolts are torqued properly.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Assuming the jam nuts are tight, and the bolts are all torqued to spec...

...then it is the bearing cup bottoming out on the bolt sleeve.

Attachments

• Clunk UCA.jpg
    Clunk UCA.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 19

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
Assuming the jam nuts are tight, and the bolts are all torqued to spec...

...then it is the bearing cup bottoming out on the bolt sleeve.

I was thinking the same thing Kelly. I assumed it would straighten out with load, how do you recommend getting that thing straightened out? Loosen the jam nuts/shorten the UCA to get some load off of the UCA and then straighten it out/return to proper length and re-tighten jam nuts?

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Kelly. I assumed it would straighten out with load, how do you recommend getting that thing straightened out? Loosen the jam nuts/shorten the UCA to get some load off of the UCA and then straighten it out/return to proper length and re-tighten jam nuts?

I would loosen the jam nuts then use a pry bar or something similar to index the UCA. Once it's been indexed, then keep the pry bar in place while you are tightening the jam nuts.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back