Sputter with hot rod cams

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Anything lower than 45 is a no no for me in 5th gear. The car bucks way to much, so I usually downshift to 4th and most of it goes away. As long as I'm slightly accelerating 5th is okay above 35. Looking into a wideband soon to hopefully help with data logging. I guess I'll send Bama an email again to see what they say. Hopefully we can get this worked out.

Most definitely tune there. Mine use to do the same thing before VMP got a hold of it. Night and day.

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
Sweet. I'll give Bama a call and see if we can get this fixed with some revisions

tagappliedfor

forum member
Reaction score
i have Hot Rods, mine was a tooth off and had different codes for cam and crank correlation so that p0340 would'nt have been for that. i run a Brenspeed SCT tune, and it runs great. every now and then when its cold it'll search for idle a little and surge between 700-1100 RPM but stops after four or five times of doing that. i'm gonna say your Bama tune is the only other issue besides your alternator...

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
Alternator is fine. Just had the diodes replaced and it rebuilt a few months ago. The only code I have now Is about once every two weeks it will have a p0300 random misfire pop up after a cold start usually. I figure that may be tune related too. Considering having a local guy try and dyno tune the car. He says he would like to try for the 150 pill as long as we don't run out of fuel. But definitely wants to tune for the 125. We'll see how things go the next week or so with Bama if I can get things sorted out.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I get the same thing. Every couple of weeks of few hundred miles or so I'll get the p0300 code along with a p0316. Usually after a cold start then a quick shut down prior to a full warm up. The next time I start it I'll get these codes.

I'll be getting with Bama when I get back home this week to try to get this straightened out!

Sent from iPhone

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Update: have not gotten the p0340 code any more!. Just like the others said, I do get the occasional p0300 code but I'm gonna get bama to just turn that off in my computer. It runs great now and no sputtering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tap Tap Taparoo

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
Update: What did you do to fix this problem? I haven't seen the code in a while, but my bucking is getting worse sometimes. I cleaned the maf Again so I'll see If that helps. I've sent a few data logs off to Bama. Well see if they can find anything

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
Another update. I bought a jlt110 locally today, got some data logs sent off to Bama. They reviewed and sent a new file back. No more bucking issue, or misfire codes as of now. Car feels good and clean again. Props to Bama for getting it sorted out finally. Top notch guys!

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
I get the same thing. Every couple of weeks of few hundred miles or so I'll get the p0300 code along with a p0316. Usually after a cold start then a quick shut down prior to a full warm up. The next time I start it I'll get these codes.

I'll be getting with Bama when I get back home this week to try to get this straightened out!

Sent from iPhone

Update: have not gotten the p0340 code any more!. Just like the others said, I do get the occasional p0300 code but I'm gonna get bama to just turn that off in my computer. It runs great now and no sputtering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tap Tap Taparoo

Another update. I bought a jlt110 locally today, got some data logs sent off to Bama. They reviewed and sent a new file back. No more bucking issue, or misfire codes as of now. Car feels good and clean again. Props to Bama for getting it sorted out finally. Top notch guys!

Did new tune fixed this problem for you guys?
It has been almost 2 weeks since I installed my cams and this morning I got a P0300 as I was leaving the parking lot. So I just cleared it.

After school on my way back home, I turned on misfire parameter on my aeroforce and I got 200 misfires in 20 minutes. 200!!
Before cams, I used to get 5 or 6 misfires which I was told its normal.
But I think 200 is bit excessive.

I was only getting misfires on idle or at very low rpm. I was getting almost 1 misfire per second on idle. But no misfires on cruising rpm or under wot.
200 misfires weren't enough to throw another P0300 though. So can I exclude spark plugs issue since I wasn't getting any misfires at cruising rpm?

My car is 2010 and has about 25k miles. Stock plugs, Stock alternator.
Car runs fine and pulls hard though. No stalling or anything.
On another note, my wideband goes crazy at idle since the cams. Anywhere between 13 to 17. Before the cams, it was stable at 14.5 to 15.5
It shows correct ratio under wot tho.

Jambarino

forum member
Reaction score
Did new tune fixed this problem for you guys?
It has been almost 2 weeks since I installed my cams and this morning I got a P0300 as I was leaving the parking lot. So I just cleared it.

After school on my way back home, I turned on misfire parameter on my aeroforce and I got 200 misfires in 20 minutes. 200!!
Before cams, I used to get 5 or 6 misfires which I was told its normal.
But I think 200 is bit excessive.

I was only getting misfires on idle or at very low rpm. I was getting almost 1 misfire per second on idle. But no misfires on cruising rpm or under wot.
200 misfires weren't enough to throw another P0300 though. So can I exclude spark plugs issue since I wasn't getting any misfires at cruising rpm?

My car is 2010 and has about 25k miles. Stock plugs, Stock alternator.
Car runs fine and pulls hard though. No stalling or anything.
On another note, my wideband goes crazy at idle since the cams. Anywhere between 13 to 17. Before the cams, it was stable at 14.5 to 15.5
It shows correct ratio under wot tho.
Well my engine light came on today,been about 5 days since I had the cams installed.I am thinking tune related.It is sputtering at around 45 mph in overdrive as well.I left my tuner at the shop by accident,I am getting it back tomorrow then Ill check the code but I am guessing same as yours.It drives great other than that,it was kinda touchy at first right after the install,and its smelling like straight up fuel at idle.BAMA tune is probably my problem.

Last edited:

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Well my engine light came on today,been about 5 days since I had the cams installed.I am thinking tune related.It is sputtering at around 45 mph in overdrive as well.I left my tuner at the shop by accident,I am getting it back tomorrow then Ill check the code but I am guessing same as yours.It drives great other than that,it was kinda touchy at first right after the install,and its smelling like straight up fuel at idle.BAMA tune is probably my problem.

Yup. Mine smells like straight up gasoline too.
What is this sputtering feel like? Is it like idle loping sounds but at 45mph? I think I have that too. Not a lot but slightly.
Sometimes, my gear acts weird at overdrive too. Like it has imaginary 4.5th gear or something. RPM stays at around 2k and then drops down to 1.5k like it just shifted or something. All of these are happening ever since the cams/bama tunes.

Jambarino

forum member
Reaction score
Yup. Mine smells like straight up gasoline too.
What is this sputtering feel like? Is it like idle loping sounds but at 45mph? I think I have that too. Not a lot but slightly.
Sometimes, my gear acts weird at overdrive too. Like it has imaginary 4.5th gear or something. RPM stays at around 2k and then drops down to 1.5k like it just shifted or something. All of these are happening ever since the cams/bama tunes.
Right at 45mph in overdrive,feels like its bucking,kind of like I am feathering the throttle off and on and yes my trans does the same thing,bounces around in overdrive.I have a 4.10 gear as well,before the cams it was fine.Never had a code and checked the alternator 6000 miles ago,it was fine.I am almost positive its the tune after researching.I prob need to change my plugs but haven't warmed up it yet,I have the 2 piece ones.

Back