Squealing Pulley ?

T

Tommy33

Hey Fellas, 1st post here and I already need your help. So thanks in advance and thanks for the invite.

Well, I still have a squealing pulley. I thought that this would only happen during the colder temps, but it still is happening when it is 86 degrees outside. I have tried to find it using the screwdriver trick, but no luck so far. I have also tried WD40 and nothing.

The squeal only lasts for about 10-15 minutes, this is on a "completely cold engine" and shorter if the engine is somewhat warm. This is just a little embarrassing to have this squeal.

What's your suggestion?

Thanks

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It may be your alternator bearings going out. The alternators on these cars are real pieces of shit. I've already had to replace mine--out of my pocket since I installed a Saleen SC and voided the powertrain warranty!

If you are still under warranty, I advise taking it in and having them check it. If it is the alternator, get a new one before your warranty goes out! Wholesale they are $300!

Hope this helps.

Mike

T

Tommy33

It may be your alternator bearings going out. The alternators on these cars are real pieces of shit. I've already had to replace mine--out of my pocket since I installed a Saleen SC and voided the powertrain warranty!

If you are still under warranty, I advise taking it in and having them check it. If it is the alternator, get a new one before your warranty goes out! Wholesale they are $300!

Hope this helps.

Mike

You know I had a feeling it might be the alternator because it did sound a little different than the other pullies I was able to check, but it is difficult to get a true sound of the pulley on the alternator when I was putting the screwdriver on the housing.

I knew that the alternators had an issue with charging the battery, I wasn't aware of this though. Thank You.

The car has a new motor and SC, so no warranty here. It's always something I guess.

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Saleen SC? My first alternator pulley nut came off and caused it to make a helluva racket! It is hard to see on the Saleen since it is turned around.

If yours is a Saleen, you may want to check to see if you still have a nut holding that pulley! If it is gone, call Saleen and raise hell about it. If they say they've never heard of it, tell them bullshit, that you know a dude that has one that HPP put on and it did it as well. Manny from HPP called Saleen and discussed it with them, so they know about this!

Good luck.

Mike

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds right but the question is do you have access to another alt pulley? I mean to make sure, it would seem best to put a different pulley on their first and start cold and see if the noise is gone. Then you would know for sure to get another pulley (or break down and get the mezuire).

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds right but the question is do you have access to another alt pulley? I mean to make sure, it would seem best to put a different pulley on their first and start cold and see if the noise is gone. Then you would know for sure to get another pulley (or break down and get the mezuire).

Saleens require their alternator pulley since the stock one won't work with the alternator turned backwards! The stock pulley will catch in one direction and slip in another. It is a weird pulley!!

If you have a Saleen SC, check that alternator nut to see if it is missing!

If mine ever does that again, I am gonna have Manny weld the damn thing on!

Hope this helps.

Mike

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gotcha on the KB

Tom if you need a new OEM alternator pulley I will send you mine. I don't have the tool to put it on however.

It is basically a paperweight to me!

Holler back if ya want it.

Mike

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mike. I wanna know when you are going to start manufacturing those Saleen pulley pullers.

T

Tommy33

Thanks guys. I am going to try and swap the pulley first as CK had suggested. I am running the KB 8 rib setup, so the OEM pulley won't work for now, but Thanks Mike.

I'll start with the alternator pulley and if that doesn't work, I may have to start swapping pullies until I find it.

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mike. I wanna know when you are going to start manufacturing those Saleen pulley pullers.

LMFAO!!!

I think the next one I have to use, I take it to Saleen and make it a suppository for them!!!

That is one weird lookin tool. Manny has it if anyone ever needs it.

Mike

S

stroker

Tom,
I know how to fix it! spray some W/D 40 on the belt. After you do that I'll meet you at the track and kick your butt. Match up - saleen vs. KB with oily belt.
Anyway, had the same problem with my car. I gave it to jim that way and never mentioned it. I got the car back and the sound is gone. You might want to speak to him about the problem. Obviously they fixed mine.
Glad to hear you made it over.
Rick (was once the hogman)

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tom,
I know how to fix it! spray some W/D 40 on the belt. After you do that I'll meet you at the track and kick your butt. Match up - saleen vs. KB with oily belt.
Anyway, had the same problem with my car. I gave it to jim that way and never mentioned it. I got the car back and the sound is gone. You might want to speak to him about the problem. Obviously they fixed mine.
Glad to hear you made it over.

CHEATER!!!!!! ive caught you

T

Tommy33

Tom,

I guess I gotta give you whatever advantage you can get with that broken Sally-matic of yours. J/K When are you going to get the tranny replaced?

Thanks for the heads up with the squeal.

S

stroker

I guess I gotta give you whatever advantage you can get with that broken Sally-matic of yours. J/K When are you going to get the tranny replaced?

Thanks for the heads up with the squeal.

LOL Tom. Should be in 2 weeks.

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't just assume it's the alternator pulley. Stick your ear down ther while it's squealing and you can isolate the sound. My car was doing the same thing. One of the pulleys was going "cheap,cheap,cheap!". A $20 idler pulley later and the noise is gone.

T

Tommy33

Don't just assume it's the alternator pulley. Stick your ear down ther while it's squealing and you can isolate the sound. My car was doing the same thing. One of the pulleys was going "cheap,cheap,cheap!". A $20 idler pulley later and the noise is gone.

I'm going to try to eliminate everything else first. The surprise thing is these pulleys have only about 1500 miles on them.

Nice Avatar, my girlfriend just asked, "Are those his balls?" I said no, you stole my x-ray.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah BTW WD-40 is what I treat my drag tires with. Try it some time. Spray a little on your tires and let it dry them feel them. It makes the Mickey's stickey!
Damn I'm giving up all my secrets!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back