Steering Wheel Disassembly?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ordered these baller Carbon Fiber inserts from TruFiber, and they were delivered yesterday:

p-8833-TC10025-LG112-2.jpg

Those inserts actually replace the light/dark gray plastic inserts on the stock wheel. The problem is that they come with ZERO instructions. I've been trying to figure out how to remove the stock pieces, but with no luck. TruFiber said a tech would call me to talk me through it, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. (And why the HECK would you sell things without instructions?)

Does anyone have any idea how to remove them without damaging anything?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I'd imagine use some panel pullers and wiggle behind the oem pieces and try to pry them up.

The nylon pullers of course so you don't scratch any thing during removal

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I'd imagine from looking at how the back side of the aftermarket pieces attach might give a clue.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Different year but mine just pulled off and snapped back into place.

travelers

Reaction score
Here is what the '11 book says

1. Place the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position and turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  1. Remove the driver air bag module. For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B .
  1. NOTICE: Do not use a screwdriver or prying device to remove the steering wheel spoke finish panel(s) or damage to the steering wheel may occur. Place fingers near the base of the wheel spoke and gently pull upward to remove the finish panel(s).
    NOTE: The steering wheel spoke finish panel(s) can be serviced separately. A new steering wheel does not need to be installed.
    NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the steering wheel when installing new steering wheel spoke finish panel(s).
    If necessary, remove the steering wheel spoke finish panel(s).

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine from looking at how the back side of the aftermarket pieces attach might give a clue.

It looks like they should slide out towards the edge of the wheel, but they won't budge.

I do have the nylon interior trim removal tool; maybe I should try them.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Lol thanks.
Only problem, now that I know how easy it is to swap those things out, I may just want a different set too

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lol thanks.
Only problem, now that I know how easy it is to swap those things out, I may just want a different set too

Or you could paint the stock ones, but I don't know how well paint would hold up to something that is handled as much as a steering wheel.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Please post how they fit and how you like them, I looked at getting a set but it seems there were fitment issues.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't even realize those pieces could be removed! 2 (horizontal) of mine are leather wrapped but I've got a couple nasty scratches on the bottom vertical one.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
EDIT:

So I found this video, which is a bit better at showing how those trim pieces fit:

Last edited:

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
That's weird, man. I was able to pull mine free with my finger nail. I don't have the horizontal ones though. Are you the original owner? Maybe they got glued on?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That video shows this a lot better, but basically, you take a plastic trim removal "pry bar" tool, slide it behind the trim piece, and rotate the tool to pop the piece "away" from the wheel.

The bottom piece is easy, because it has no buttons.

IMG_20170506_103354.jpg

The side pieces are more difficult, because you have to separate the button panel from the trim piece. But with some fanangling, you can slide the button panel away from the trim piece.

The new carbon piece slides in just like the old, but you have to carefully slide that button panel back into the trim.

IMG_20170506_104826.jpg

So, the fit and finish is actually VERY good, with one exception:

The left-side button panel (cruise control) is loose. The carbon piece must not have the proper hardware to hold it correctly. I mean, the buttons still work, but my OCD is going nuts at the fact that it moves a bit when I press them.

Only disadvantage is that the carbon panels are VERY light, and thus thin and FRAGILE. I tried to remove the left-side piece again to better mount the buttons, but as I began to pry, I heard the carbon start to tear a bit.

Once these things are on, they are on for good.

So, in retrospect, remove the airbag module so you can unplug those button modules and directly mount them to the carbon trim before you slide it on.

They look damn good, though, don't they?! Also, one of the assemblers of my car signed the back of the bottom trim piece with a silver Sharpie. HOW COOL IS THAT?!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back