Steering wheel leather worn out

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
I have several wear spots on the normally smooth leather cover.
At first I thought it was some kind of goo but it became larger as I was trying to remove them with cleaner. :hammer:
It is worn out from handling the wheel in the same place all the time i guess. Anybody got a cure for this that doesn't involved a new steering wheel?
I'm guessing it would be impossible to repair 100% so I'm just looking for restoration so it doesn't feel sticky when my hands get sweaty.

This is top section of the steering wheel btw. I just rotated for better pic.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
One of these will fox you up.

lrg-steering-wheel-cover-white.jpg

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Leather conditioner and dressing helps prevent this.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score

lol - dude I was totally kidding.

But seriously, you must drive the crap out of your car. How many miles do you have cause my 11GT looks brand new with 30K - But I try and condition the crap out of it as well.

I know ford doesn't put the best quality of leather in their cars, but I just would not have expected that this soon.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
But seriously, you must drive the crap out of your car. How many miles do you have cause my 11GT looks brand new with 30K - But I try and condition the crap out of it as well.

I know ford doesn't put the best quality of leather in their cars, but I just would not have expected that this soon.

That's what I was thinking. My car is an 07 with 76K miles, and isn't doing this at all.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
lol - dude I was totally kidding.

Hahaha I knew you were.

My stock steering wheel is almost brand new but I bought a used leather steering wheel from craigslist for dirt cheap. I love it so I'm just trying to keep it as much as possible.

I bought a set of lexol stuff from local advance auto and I just finished applying it. I like it so far but I wish it doesn't leave that sticky feeling behind. I will wait a day to see if it cures.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Hahaha I knew you were.

My stock steering wheel is almost brand new but I bought a used leather steering wheel from craigslist for dirt cheap. I love it so I'm just trying to keep it as much as possible.

I bought a set of lexol stuff from local advance auto and I just finished applying it. I like it so far but I wish it doesn't leave that sticky feeling behind. I will wait a day to see if it cures.

using a damp towel to apply it?

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
No I just used clean microfiber towel. I guess thats not the correct way to do it?

Thats pretty much what I've done also. For a couple of days after you apply, the surface is tacky.

This is why I'm glad Seer is here....lol

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
No I just used clean microfiber towel. I guess thats not the correct way to do it?

directions say apply it with a damp cloth, then wipe off :D

Instructions
Directions:
Clean one manageable section of the interior at a time. For example, with bucket seats, clean the seat back, and then move on to the seat cushion, and so forth.
Test small inconspicuous area first.
Apply a small amount of cleaner to a clean, wet Lexol applicator sponge or cloth.
Rub gently into leather to work up lather.
Use a clean damp cloth or sponge to wipe away foam and dirt. Towel dry.
Follow with Lexol Leather Conditioner.

http://www.lexol.com/product_leather_cleaner.aspx#

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back