stock crank limits ?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jeremy of S&H Performance. As long as you keep the RPM's down, under 6500, the stock crank would be good for 700hp at least. The cast crank doesn't have the balance weights to handle high RPM's, other than that it's a very strong crank.

Earl

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
if youre going throught the trouble of replacing rods and pistons, why not save a little longer for a better crank?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Don't hear about cranks breaking very often. I would think between 600-700rwh would be a reasonable limit.

ncpower08

Reaction score
^^ what he said^^. Eagle has a kit with a crank rods and pistons. I would go that route. It is the most bang for you buck.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
anyone know what a stock crank will hold with forged rods and pistons f/i with conservative tuning ?

I've built two motors that way. Never had a problem. When I built the first one the internet max was 450rwhp. Now it appears to be 700. The fact is nobody has broken one. And contrary to what you may hear it has counterweights, just not the two center ones. The rotating assembly balances just fine without mallory metal.

^^ what he said^^. Eagle has a kit with a crank rods and pistons. I would go that route. It is the most bang for you buck.

How high have you pushed an Eagle kit? People have reported runout problems with the Eagle cast crank. What was your experience?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
How high have you pushed an Eagle kit? People have reported runout problems with the Eagle cast crank. What was your experience?

Not to step on his toes, but...

Eagle uses Arias pistons I believe. I don't know a soul running Eagle internals, or none that admit to ever having used them. That speaks worlds for itself. I trust my stock internals more than anything stamped Eagle.

ncpower08^^ what he said^^. Eagle has a kit with a crank rods and pistons. I would go that route. It is the most bang for you buck.

I had a conversation with a Rep from Eagle at the last SEMA here in Las Vegas. He tried to tell me that because Manley doesn't mass produce its internals like Eagle does, that Manley internals have a greater chance for flaws in the quality of their product. Where Eagle mass produces their internals, using only the highest quality russian/chinese metals.

No bullshit, that statement came straight from the horses mouth.

Chinese steel bolted to the sides of my heads to route exhaust and give me excellent exhaust note and torque? Sure. And when I burn holes in them I'll chuck them on the scrap pile and buy another cheap set 'cuz it only takes me 1-2 hours for a header swap.

Chinese steel/aluminum pumping in my motor at 7,000rpm? Are you for fucking real? Eagle is not THAT great of a "bang" for the buck over Manley. Unless you like the kind of "bang" that you're going to want to put to your head when you wish you hadn't been a cheap fuck and skimped on the shit that holds your motor together.

:wtf1:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Eaglestroker may have somethings to say about your comments /\

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't Sugar Coat it Man!!

Not to step on his toes but.....:flamethr:

:roflmao:

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Iwas just going to do Manley rods and pistons were up in th air. I'm not planning on going no higher than 15-17 lbs so 600ish is where I want to be. And I already shift it @ 6000 so I'm not spinning it up past 6400 at the most just to prolong my engine. If it were a race car id go all out but it's a cruising toy that sees the track twice a year. I'm already making 480 on 10 lbs with 15 degrees but i need a little more to be happy.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been running my stock crank to 650rwhp and 7k rpms for awhile now no issues.\

Stock crank, manley h beams and diamond 2618 pistons.

Im going to be pushing it to 750rwhp soon. I may go with an ati superdampener before though.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just pick up an 03-04 Cobra forged crank along with an 8 bolt flywheel. Cheap insurance.

Then again...700rwhp with a stock crank is probably more than most of us will ever see/use.

RH

Dillon Dollar

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as Jeremy and you op car made 630 rwhp with Mahley rods and pistons on my stock crank new blower will be here next week so I'm going for more powa.... I was skeptical about going above 650 but since several people say 700 is doable i may try it... I do have a cobra crank ready for install at a later date as well and I shift at 6800 rpm

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score

This has been the case with 2 of 3 Eagle cranks I have installed in a 4.6. One checked out fine, but 2 others had runout issues which required extra machine work to fix.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Basic answer

An inspection performed on a reciprocating engine crankshaft to determine the straightness of a shaft.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
This may be a newb question but what is runout

Deviation from center during rotation. Say you put a piece of round stock in two v blocks and rotate it with a dial indicator measuring the differences. The differences would be runout.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back