strange vortech issue

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
hello everyone!

i've searched here, and other forums, and google. maybe its been discussed before and my powers are failing me, or maybe not.

2006 GT, FRPP axleback and Vortech HO kit (aftercooled, standard boost, diablo tuner and MAFia)

the problem is ONLY in first gear. if you come off the line hard, or modulate the gas/clutch perfectly, no issues. the slightest mismatch (over rev, or otherwise) causes the car to buck wildly. almost feels like its going from 0 to 100% throttle, and back and forth. even if you go WOT while this is going on, the issue persists. only way to stop this violent bucking is to depress the clutch, and then it drives perfectly.

issue only started after vortech install (using vortechs canned tune, stock MAF and MAFia), and only happens in first gear, and only when you dont hit the gas/clutch perfectly.

any thoughts?

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! did you try reloading the tune? try that first and see what happens. I had the same issue surging/bucking BUT at part throttle a year or 2 ago but mine was tune related. I ditched the vortech canned tune and went with bbr, never had the bucking problem since.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I've never heard anything good about the canned Vortech tunes. I'd say a new tune from a respected tuner would fix your problem.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Get a real tune, answer to all your problems

+1...canned tunes are general-use and may not be what's right nor best for your car. Get the RIGHT tune for YOUR car, perfectly, and you'll have no issues.

Many of us can recommend local and remote tuners for you.
:boobies:

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ill try reloading it, but it does need a dyno tune. I have a local shop that I trust, just need the spare cash first!

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
when I was running a vortech setup my tuner advised me to ditch the Mafia as it was not needed at my power level (10psi) as it was throwing the voltage off to my MAF causing my bucking/surging issues. Simply removed the mafia and it was all good.

With that being said I data logged my car and sent them the file so they seen the problem. I wouldnt necessarily just remove your mafia unless you know for sure it is the culprit.

Could be your Bosch bypass also. They are notorious for failing.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the Vortech canned tune is supposed to work with the MAFia? Is the MAFia on the correct setting as per Vortech's instructions?

Do you have a wideband in the car? What does AFR do when the car is bucking? Have you datalogged it?

I'd say- either get the car to a reputable tuner, or learn how to datalog and tune on your own.

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
i checked the MAFia setting at LEAST 5 times. i wasnt happy that they had one in there, but i didnt really have a choice.

i will be getting an SCT tune for it, just once funds allow. from what i am seeing, teh stock MAF in that housing should be enough, but i will check with my tuner beforehand to see what they recommend.

no wideband in the car just yet. i was considering using two narrowband gauges, with a pair of psartan sensors putting out NB voltage to them, but that is assuming i can find a combo gauge for the 3rd hole that matches.

as far as the bypass valve, its been doing it since day one, so i highly doubt that is the culprit. but if it ends up being, ill just go with a maxflow.

dlrs14

forum member
Reaction score
Possible un-metered air getting in. Check all of your couplings and hose clamps. IIRC a friend of mine actually overtightend the hose clamp on the plastic section that the MAF mounts in, and kind of deformed it to where it would allow air in. It caused a problem exactly like your describing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back