Street/Strip front strut recommendation?

Larryfishes53

Reaction score
I am knee-deep into my 05 GT Street/strip car build. So far I have cut the front end off my car and replaced it with a rock solid tube front end. BMR member and control arms should be here next week… So that leaves me with the next item on my build sheet… Struts…. I’d like to go coil over, but at $1000 plus caster camber plates and springs an adjustable Viking, Afco, or QA1, I’m looking for other options. I see strange has a steel replacement strut (not a coilover) on sale for about 160 bucks per side… All steel construction and getting away from my weight cutting part of mybuild. Anybody have any suggestions and/or experiences with Struts for street and occasional strip performance?

IMG_9220.jpeg

IMG_9212.jpeg

MrBhp

Reaction score
I don't think I paid anywhere near 1k for my coilover setup. It's all qa1. I'll try to find my invoices.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
I second going with Kelly Aiken. Former BMR employee. He knows his stuff, and some of the time slips he posts back that up.

Reaction score
I've used the Strange single adjustable steel struts in the front for quite a few years. They certainly allow you to control the front of the car at the drag strip some, I've managed mid 1.50 and high 1.40 60 foot times with a stick car. I can get the extension setting where it's happy, but it would be nice to be able to adjust the compression better to keep the weight transferred down the track. No complaints on the street.

If you compare the shock dyno graphs between the single and double adjustable struts it's hard to deny the increase in range of adjustability that the double adjustable setup gets you. Like you, I've had a hard time justifying the price tag though.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I've used the Strange single adjustable steel struts in the front for quite a few years. They certainly allow you to control the front of the car at the drag strip some, I've managed mid 1.50 and high 1.40 60 foot times with a stick car. I can get the extension setting where it's happy, but it would be nice to be able to adjust the compression better to keep the weight transferred down the track. No complaints on the street.

If you compare the shock dyno graphs between the single and double adjustable struts it's hard to deny the increase in range of adjustability that the double adjustable setup gets you. Like you, I've had a hard time justifying the price tag though.
Strange is not a bad suggestion. I would also suggest Kelly Aiken. His stuff works. Higher costs however the product is worth it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back