Sway bar installation

LSlayer

forum member
Reaction score
It kinda late in the game and I can't do anything since my car is on the other side of the globe but can u install the rear swaybar upside down or wrong and it still function? Mine seems to sit really low, the lowest I've seen on any S197. Its noticeable from a distance. It's been on there the way it is for a LONG time now and it hasn't failed or did anything funny. I'm running an Eibach pro-kit and other common suspension mods.

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Which swaybar and endlinks do you have? I have the BMR and it looks the same way, but it's on there right. Do you have a pic?

LSlayer

forum member
Reaction score
Stock swaybar. Thats about the only stock piece left back there.

LSlayer

forum member
Reaction score
But I don't have any pics of her since shes been lowered. On the to do list when I get home.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Sway Bars do not change your ride hight. They only control how much body roll you have and how quickly the roll occurs.

If you installed it upside-down and (if possible) backward the only thing you will change is how the suspension works with regard to how the linked tires travel up and down with relation to each other. It would be minor though.

Last edited:

LSlayer

forum member
Reaction score
Sway Bars do not change your ride hight. They only control how much body roll you have and how quickly the roll occurs.

If you installed it upside-down and (if possible) backward the only thing you will change is how the suspension works with regard to how the linked tires travel up and down with relation to each other. It would be minor though.

I know they don't change my ride height. What I'm asking is does anyones sway seem to sit really low after lowering their car. I don't think I put it back on wrong and everything looks proper. No excessive roll or anything.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Ah, you are talking about the bar itself.

The easiest way to tell is with the tabs the links bolt through. Factory, the tabs should be level. If you lower the car and not change the links, the tabs should be pointing up at the tips slightly.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Scratch that...that is for the front links.

Have to look at the back on mine. If it drives OK you are probable fine. I'll look at mine in the morning and let you know how it looks...

LSlayer

forum member
Reaction score
Cool beans. Lemme know what you find. If I could see a pic of another lowered car running the stock rear swaybar I'll know where I sit.

howarmat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I installed my BMR upside down, it worked fine....switched it back after a week though so dont know about the long term affect

2oo5GT

I know on the SN95's you could and it was close to the ground, flipped it and it looked right then, not sure about S197's, maybe possible. But if it looks lower than normal, it might be. picturing it in my head, since i took mine off last weekend, it probably is flipped if it's that low.

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There should be no effect whatsoever observed by having a flipped swaybar.

I ran a Stillen rear swaybar upside down on my Nissan Titan because of an aftermarket (large capacity) rear diff cover that I added with a TreuTrac LSD. I certainly did not go offroading ever again, but as long as you can still clear the occassional tall manhole cover, you're good!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back