Switched power source other than pass side kick panel?

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
I searched but looks like everyone is connecting to pass side fuse panel.
Problem is I have no more 10amp source available at the fuse panel because I used them on my nitrous switches. There is actually one spot left which is restraints control module but I don't think I should tap into that.

Are there any other sources maybe from steering column or even on radio? This is for my AEM wideband gauge and I have 2010 auto.

Thanks

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used an add a fuse in the sjb fuse panel for my line lock so needed more sources as well. Do you use your accessorie plug/cig lighter in the dash? I removed it installed my shift light there and used the wiring there to power all my guages and eboost2.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
I used an add a fuse in the sjb fuse panel for my line lock so needed more sources as well. Do you use your accessorie plug/cig lighter in the dash? I removed it installed my shift light there and used the wiring there to power all my guages and eboost2.
I use it to charge my phone. Do I need to remove that to use its wiring? Can you tap and power up multiple gauges from single switched 12v wire without any ill effect?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You could probably get away with it as charging an accessorie like doesn't charge alot of current. I use the accesorrie plug in the center console for charging stuff.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
What has your multimeter or probe shown you?

I used a test light and almost all the fuses are constant. Ones that are switched are either wrong amp for the gauge or already being used by two add a circuit for my nitrous switches. Add a circuits are so builky that it blocks all the fuses around it making them untappable. There is a RCM fuse where i can add a circuit to it without clearance issue but my gut tells me that's a bad idea.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Have you checked any of the unused fuse spots? Some of them may be "live" but unused at the moment. I know what you mean about the add-a-fuse thingies. You may have to re-route some of them to make room for your new circuit.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
You could probably get away with it as charging an accessorie like doesn't charge alot of current. I use the accesorrie plug in the center console for charging stuff.

I just found out that cig lighter port is hot all the time. I guess wiring is different on 10+. I am gonna have to probe around on radio wires to find switched 12v wire.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
best to add a small fuse block under the hood and run wires to the interior.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Take 12V right off the battery. Bring it into the cabin and put an appropriate fuse in the line. Immediately after the fuse install a relay. Connect the relay to any switched lead. The relay uses very little power to activate and complete the higher power circuit from the battery to the end.

95yl41.jpg

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
^ thanks a lot. I will try that.
Do you think it would be fine to take 12v from the constant 12v wire going to my bottle heater instead of directly from the battery? That way I dont have to run it to the engine bay since the bottle heater wire is already going thru the cabin.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would think it would be ok as long as those two items don't draw more current than the circuit can supply AND the wire that you used is large enough for the current it does draw.

Personally I'd run a separate line. I wouldn't want to run the risk of having my bottle heater (a high draw I imagine) in competition for power with gauges.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't wanna make a separate thread because i think it's a dumb question but are the fuses on our cars directional? I'm asking because I was re-routing my add a circuits and I noticed that it won't get power unless I put it in on one right direction. If I put it in upside down, it doesn't get power.
I also noticed that when it doesn't get power the airbag light comes on even tho the fuse slot was spare slot not in use.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fuses are not directional. As for the add a circuit setup it would make since it is for polarity reasons to power the new load.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back