TCI Shifter Issues

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I had my 4R70 taken out and had my stock transmission put pack in. Today, I decided to throw in my TCI Shifter on my 5R55 and am having a few issues.

I can't seem to get the transmission out of PARK after it's all said in done, and I'm also having an issue getting the trans cable tab pushed back up. If I can't get that clip pushed back up, would that affect the shifter from not moving out of park? The metal portion of the shifter is inserted into the clip hole, but I just can't get that piece pushed up. Any help or ideas?

Oh, and I tried getting the pics uploaded but it wasn't working. Steps 7 and 8 from the following thread show the clip I'm referring to.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/506699-tci-ratchet-shifter-install.html

- Justin

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Did you plug the elec. wires back in to it?

Also are you sure the cable is adjusted correctly?

Last edited:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you plug the elec. wires back in to it?

Also are you sure the cable is adjusted correctly?

Yup, wires are all plugged back in. I've adjusted the cable a million times, pulling it all the way out, then pushing it in three detents to put it into drive, then putting it back on the shifter part. I just can't get the clip to push back in all the way. I'm going to go back out later and try some more.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
With the cable disconnected, can you shift it by hand at the trans?

The trans could be in 1st couldnt it?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and can shift it from under the car. I just can't seem to be able to to get it to correspond properly with the shifter. Does the shifter have to be set in D? Can I change it to 1st, as well as the shifter cable, then go through the process of putting it into park, then connecting the battery?

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but you mention connecting the battery. You're not trying to shift it out of park with the battery disconnected, are you?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but you mention connecting the battery. You're not trying to shift it out of park with the battery disconnected, are you?

I'm shifting it into Park while it's disconnected like it says, then connecting the battery. After that, the car won't shift out of park unless I manually press the tab to the right of it. From there, the gears are all wrong....

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I still can't get the damn shifter to read the proper gears, and everytime I put the shifter into Park it sticks and will not come out without manually pressing the tab to move it. :/

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As for it not coming out of park without pushing the tab, sounds like your brake lock out switch isn't getting power. When I did the manual to auto swap I had that problem. I ran a separate wire from the brake light switch to the lock out switch on the shifter and it fixed it.

As for adjusting... it's been a LONG time since I put mine in. But if I remember correctly you were supposed to make sure the shifter is in "D". Then from under the car, pull the cable all the way back toward the rear of the car, then push it back 3 clicks. That should put the transmission in drive. Make sure you put the cable on correctly, and get that damn lock piece back in place.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As for it not coming out of park without pushing the tab, sounds like your brake lock out switch isn't getting power. When I did the manual to auto swap I had that problem. I ran a separate wire from the brake light switch to the lock out switch on the shifter and it fixed it.

As for adjusting... it's been a LONG time since I put mine in. But if I remember correctly you were supposed to make sure the shifter is in "D". Then from under the car, pull the cable all the way back toward the rear of the car, then push it back 3 clicks. That should put the transmission in drive. Make sure you put the cable on correctly, and get that damn lock piece back in place.

If that piece of shit lock piece isn't completely pushed in, would that have any issue as to why it's not working? I've been under the damn car quite a few times, and have pulled the cable back and did the three clicks to put it into drive. It has to be that I'm not getting the clip pushed in all the way. I don't know why the hell I can't get that fucker clicked back in...

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you don't get the clip locked back in place the cable will slip

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Think it would be too dangerous to drive the car 30 miles without it locked?

Back