Tech questions

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
So, I had a wee bit of an off-track excursion in April in my Time Trial Mustang, finding some double-high Armco at around 70mph... The car is DONE as a "street" car, but has a bright future as a race car! I've been turning wrenches on it as time permitted since the incident, and I'm close to getting it back on track (no cage yet, so still TT), but there are a few niggling little issues that I still have to resolve. If anybody can offer any tech help, I would certainly appreciate it!

1) Evap tray: The rear sensor (actuator?) in the pan seems to use a different connector between 2006 (chassis) and 2008 (body harness). Is there a functional difference, or is it just a revised connector? Easy enough to swap pigtails around, but if I need to change out the sensor itself, I would rather know now, than the day before the next event.

2) Does anybody have a schematic for the ignition switch with the color codes? I'm pulling the key out, and setting up a toggle-switch bank.

3) Heater core delete: How have you guys handled the plumbing when deleting the heater box? The lines are two different sizes... Also, it's a 2006 engine and cooling system layout, if that makes any difference.

4) Package tray: Is this a structural piece? I'm going to cage the car over the winter, but if I can pull it now with no ill effects, that would be a plus.

Oh, if anybody needs any interior bits, let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Dave,

When you were in the garage did you look through the smaller shop manual for the electric schematic (the smaller, electronic specific one) or just the big main one? I thought it was pretty complete. Just checking.

Best,
-j

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
if you need any wiring schematics i have the books for 2005-2010. let me know and maybe ill send you one during your build as long as i can get it back at the end.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
) Evap tray: The rear sensor (actuator?) in the pan seems to use a different connector between 2006 (chassis) and 2008 (body harness). Is there a functional difference, or is it just a revised connector? Easy enough to swap pigtails around, but if I need to change out the sensor itself, I would rather know now, than the day before the next event.

why bother just remove it and have a tune done to turn that portion off.

2) Does anybody have a schematic for the ignition switch with the color codes? I'm pulling the key out, and setting up a toggle-switch bank.

I have a book.

3) Heater core delete: How have you guys handled the plumbing when deleting the heater box? The lines are two different sizes... Also, it's a 2006 engine and cooling system layout, if that makes any difference.

it's a gates hose "mc fr500s" local auto parts store or rock auto can get it . I have the part # someplace.

4) Package tray: Is this a structural piece? I'm going to cage the car over the winter, but if I can pull it now with no ill effects, that would be a plus.

I wouldn't remove this if I was you. just cut the speaker tray part out and use the rest as a base for a nice aluminum firewall break. trust me ,down the road you will be glad you did .

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Make sure you disable your theft system in your pcm first if you plan to do away with the key and all.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you disable your theft system in your pcm first if you plan to do away with the key and all.

Did you happen to learn that the hard way? :)

Building a stripped out race car is a lot more complicated than it used to be.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Steve: Good call on deleting the evap rig. I called the tuner (Modular Depot), and they're building that into the tune. Physically, then, what do I need to keep on the car? I assume that the fuel line runs directly from the pump hat to the rails, but there's a lot of other plumbing behind the tank that I haven't had time to trace down... My only worry is maintaining a solid tank vent. The PATS crap was thing one on my list for the tuner! IF you happen across the gates part number for that heater bypass hose, that would be awesome. Does it mount at the rear of the block or in the valley? For the speaker tray, you're just cutting out the center section, and leaving the front and rear boxed sections alone?

Steve/Kevin/PCDRJ: I looked through Louie's postings early this morning and couldn't find the actual ignition switch schematic... Any idea what section it's under, or is there a chance somebody can get me a copy of the relevant page? PM me and I'll toss you an email address...

John: Louie has that whole book up on the web, see above... Probably operator error (me), but...

Thanks, guys, for everything!

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Carnage photos, eh? You're probably one of those sick bastards that watch "Faces Of Death" while eating a pepperoni pizza...

BEFORE:

IMG_2523_Hitzeman_NASAGL-MW_Autobahn_TTB281_Lowum_Sep2010.jpg

AFTER:

SAM_0195.jpg

Car stereo install gone horribly wrong:

Lowum%252520Quarter%252520Panel%252520Repair%252520006.jpg

(Thanks John!)

Death toll so far:
Lower control arm twisted 90* forward (ball joint points at front of car)
AST strut snapped in half
Front hub (precautionary)
Front knuckle (precautionary)
body harness pinched
computer blown up as a result of above
headlight, marker light broken
front fender mangled
door slightly worn
quarter panel nicely creased
BOTH rod ends on Panhard bar blown apart
two wheels (looking for a pair of 5zigen FN01R-C black 18x9.5 in +36!!)

I'm sure John can double the length of that list with other items, like headlight buckets, inner fenderwells, radiator support and upper frame stubs, etc.

All in all, though, it could have been MUCH worse. I'm very glad that I was properly set up, with a race seat, 5-point belts, DefNder neck restraint, and the airbags disabled.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
ill get the book tonite and get it copied at work tomorrow. ill give you the pinout of the connector and the wiring schematic of the ignition switch.

check around 12ish tomorrow

PLee

forum member
Reaction score
Friends of mine built this car over at CDC... they completely removed the rear package tray and tray supports, but added a rear cross brace right at the upper shock mount, which I believe became the basis for their spare tire mount.

main.php

main.php

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
Dave i sent you the copy of the schematics for the ignition switch today. i used to 08 guide book since i believe you are using an 08 body harness?

let me know if you need anything else.

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
Friends of mine built this car over at CDC... they completely removed the rear package tray and tray supports, but added a rear cross brace right at the upper shock mount, which I believe became the basis for their spare tire mount.

main.php

main.php

That is super sharp! Love it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back