temp sensore not reading

suprchrgd

forum member
Reaction score
so i finally have my car running again, but the water temp gauge in the dash is not reading. the gauge works, it still swipes on startup, but its not reading. i have read that the temp gauge actually reads the temp from the head, but if the coolant isnt flowing will it still read? Im thinking i still have some air in my system. just a lot of work to get to that sensor.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Reference: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Electronic Engine Controls - 4.6L.pdf

Take a look at Page 6.

You didn't mention what was wrong with your car, or what you did to get it running, so...

Things to do:
1. I'm thinking that air pocket isn't it. Even without coolant, the sensor should still read the temperature of the heat transfer from the head itself. Without coolant, it would likely be showing higher temps. (?)
2. If you have a hand-held tuner or scanner, hook it up and look at the PID for coolant temps. If you're temps are rising, then the PCM is reading the sensor... sensor and wiring is good.
3. If no reading, and even though it could be a PITA, you're going to have to pull off the intake and make sure the cable is connected and the sensor itself hasn't been knocked off. (ask me how I know this can happen...)

suprchrgd

forum member
Reaction score
Been sitting for about 2 yrs. Just dropped a kenne bell down into her. Im thinking somethimg happened to the sensor when putting the manifold on. This pretty much sucks. The temp stays at 46* and doesnt move at all. Pretty sure its the sensor. Sucks, cause it worked when the car broke.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Well before you buy a new sensor, check the wiring first. Could be as simple as a bent pin (male or female ends), or some corrosion in the pins or connector.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't the temp senor harness/connector come in two parts?
There is the temp sensor, an extension harness, and then the main wiring harness.

At least its like that on my 2008 model. I have an extension that runs from temp sensor to the back of the block and then connects to the main engine bay harness.

I have heard of intake manifolds crushing the temp sensor/wiring and bad connections.

suprchrgd

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't the temp senor harness/connector come in two parts?
There is the temp sensor, an extension harness, and then the main wiring harness.

At least its like that on my 2008 model. I have an extension that runs from temp sensor to the back of the block and then connects to the main engine bay harness.

I have heard of intake manifolds crushing the temp sensor/wiring and bad connections.

yes mine is the same way as you described. my bet is i hit the plug when dropping the intake into the valley, but i'm going to replace the sensor while i have the blower off too just to be sure...

suprchrgd

forum member
Reaction score
Turns out i pinched the wires when i put the kb manifold down into the "v". New plug and sensor and everything working great. Now just need a tune!

Back