Testing Lash Adjusters

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to test the Hydraulic lash adjusters in these cars? I have 2 full used sets and wanted to test to see which were the best ones to use in the car. The only info I found online was that if they are firm they are good when filled with oil; however, it didnt seem too definite. I know someone will know. Thanks!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just inspect them and makes sure they are all solid and the same height, you should not be able to compress them by hand.

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
Just inspect them and makes sure they are all solid and the same height, you should not be able to compress them by hand.

What do you mean? Every new one I have ever seen is compressible by hand and every bad one I've seen is because it seized up and is no longer compressible by hand.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that once there is oil in them they should not compress by hand. When you buy them new there is no oil in them. This is why they are hydraulic. Thanks Jeremy!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct with fluid they should be very hard to compress by hand and should retain there height. They shouldn't compress and stay down or measure shorter etc.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Once the oil is out of them they will compress. They will still compress when full of oil but it's much harder.

I take new lash adjusters and prime them by placing them in oil and pumping until no more air comes out.

If you keep trying to compress them eventually you will pump the oil out of the side hole and each successive pump will be easier.

Ford has a leak down rate in the manual but it takes a special tool to perform.

The price on a set of followers and adjusters from FRPP is cheap enough to replace all of them if you think they are causing a problem. IIRC it's less than $200 for 24 rockers and adjusters.

That's good I asked because I had 2 out of my good set that did compress!

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Bruce I think I probably already know what your answer will be, but what're your views on solid lash adjusters?

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
^ I just paid $218 for the rockers and lifters. Steve @ tasca

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Once the oil is out of them they will compress. They will still compress when full of oil but it's much harder.

I take new lash adjusters and prime them by placing them in oil and pumping until no more air comes out.

If you keep trying to compress them eventually you will pump the oil out of the side hole and each successive pump will be easier.

Ford has a leak down rate in the manual but it takes a special tool to perform.

The price on a set of followers and adjusters from FRPP is cheap enough to replace all of them if you think they are causing a problem. IIRC it's less than $200 for 24 rockers and adjusters.

I haven't had any issues with any but I think I should have enough to choose one good set. Just wanted to make sure to know what to look for.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have no experience with them. I really can't see the need for them in anything on the street but I really don't know much about valve train setups that need to be shimmed.

gmitch would have lots of knowledge on the subject from his Ducati days.

Bruce I think I probably already know what your answer will be, but what're your views on solid lash adjusters?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I have no experience with them. I really can't see the need for them in anything on the street but I really don't know much about valve train setups that need to be shimmed.

gmitch would have lots of knowledge on the subject from his Ducati days.

Good idea. I'll interrogate him one of these days lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back