Throttle body motor ohms

GT-apb

Reaction score
Been searching for days now, does anyone have or can test the throttle body motor resistance? I'm getting 3 ohms on mine and would like a comparison.

Background info: did a DOB install and my throttle is rapidly clicking and causing PCM communication issues

PXL_20230131_214432141.jpg

GT-apb

Reaction score
Update: according to the workshop manual testing, the throttle motor resistance is 1-900 ohms, so mine is good.

A new testing request is to see how many volts are going to the throttle motor with key on, engine off on both wires. I'm getting about 3.5vdc on each wire disconnected.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Update: according to the workshop manual testing, the throttle motor resistance is 1-900 ohms, so mine is good.

A new testing request is to see how many volts are going to the throttle motor with key on, engine off on both wires. I'm getting about 3.5vdc on each wire disconnected.

I have the same setup. I'll assume you're using a GT500 TB... Do you still have the old GT throttle body? If so, connect it up and test it. If symptoms change/disappear the TB has issues. If the GT TB still does the same thing then I would revisit the wiring extensions (be sure they're all correct). Another note is I had issues with grounds so I'd recommend checking ground paths as well.

GT-apb

Reaction score
*Long winded update*
So I finally figured out the problem. Spent the entire day combing thru the workshop manual, coming back with everything checking out good. Checked grounds, wiring to and from PCM, TPS and throttle body motor, relays, diodes, alternator, swapping the old TB in, and found the car would start and run (poorly) without the throttle motor disconconnected. Connected, communication failed with the cluster and no mileage displayed, fuel level errors, all because of a blown fuse. Engine #3 fuse. Should be all set now.

Dieharder, yes, a GT500 TB. I actually got away with not extending the TB wiring, so it's all stock in that respect

DieHarder

Reaction score
*Long winded update*
So I finally figured out the problem. Spent the entire day combing thru the workshop manual, coming back with everything checking out good. Checked grounds, wiring to and from PCM, TPS and throttle body motor, relays, diodes, alternator, swapping the old TB in, and found the car would start and run (poorly) without the throttle motor disconconnected. Connected, communication failed with the cluster and no mileage displayed, fuel level errors, all because of a blown fuse. Engine #3 fuse. Should be all set now.

Dieharder, yes, a GT500 TB. I actually got away with not extending the TB wiring, so it's all stock in that respect

Symptoms are a bit tricky on this one. According to the prints F3 in the engine bay provides power to the Hi/Lo speed fan relays, MAF and some power distribution incl the PCM thru the BEC. Must be providing power to the items above as well. Glad you figured it out but according to the wiring diagrams it wouldn't have been on my top five list of things to check either.

GT-apb

Reaction score
Yeah, it was the weirdest thing. Just kicking myself in the butt for forgetting the first step in electrical troubleshooting: check your power source first

Back