TOB/Slave cylinder

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
Read somewhere the 11-14 TOB is direct replacement for 05-09 mustang gt....Anyone use this one in there 05-09 car? Heard it is less than half the price, I am wondering if its durability is better also? I am about to install an Exedy Mach 500 clutch and need a TOB but also heard this clutch has a tendency to eat stock TOBs.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not a direct replacement per say but easy enough to do, slave itself is the same size but you have to swap out the hard supply line to one off a 05-10 slave. I don't know of any physical design improvements. Hydraulic slave cylinders by nature wear faster and are more finicky when using a clutch with a stiffer pressure plate. So if you can get it done cheaper that's a win imo.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
hell if I knew that I would have done that and swapped the original slave hard line.....

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe I will just try the exedy unit and cross my fingers.

Main cause of TOB failure after installing an aftermarket clutch is over extension from failing to ensure you maintain the proper preload on the slave.

RAM has a sheet that shows how to measure and establish the preload.

A simple way is to simply measure the installed finger height of the stock and aftermarket clutch ,, then shim up any difference if the new clutch is shorter than the stocker, most are.

From personal experience the Mach 500 needed a .065" shim to get .530" preload when I installed one. Anything less than .500" is going to pop the slave real quick.
RAM%20Hy3.jpg

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I used an 11-14 slave on my car and didn't swap the hard line. Iirc, i had to tweak it ever so slightly, but everything went right into place.

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
Main cause of TOB failure after installing an aftermarket clutch is over extension from failing to ensure you maintain the proper preload on the slave.

RAM has a sheet that shows how to measure and establish the preload.

A simple way is to simply measure the installed finger height of the stock and aftermarket clutch ,, then shim up any difference if the new clutch is shorter than the stocker, most are.

From personal experience the Mach 500 needed a .065" shim to get .530" preload when I installed one. Anything less than .500" is going to pop the slave real quick.
RAM%20Hy3.jpg

Shim it?

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my pressure plate, disc and alignment tool on here used so it didn't come with any shims.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back