Track Rims

ShaneM

Reaction score
i just put TSW nurburgrings in 18 x 9 front and 18 x 9.5 rear on my 10 GT. on my batrhroom scale they were a few ounces over 21 pounds each. they cost 1024 for teh set and offsets i went with are 40mm rear and 32mm front.

tsw-8.jpg

tsw-3.jpg

jangtg-2.jpg

knight rider

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm.. this seems like a good thread to revive for this question....

I'm moving my '05 GT to ESP this year... and I'd like to go wider than my baby 17x8 factory rims, but I'm on a super limited budget (pretty much whatever I Can sell my 18" bullits for, or hopefully less)... I'm looking around at (used) 94-04 Offset wheels, because they're everywhere in 17", and I Hear they'll fit as long as I don't mind them sticking out (Which I don't for race only wheels).

Anyone have fitment tips with these? I'd be happy with the extra inch in 17x9's... but Will 9.5, 10, or 10.5's fit with stock fenders???

I've still got some meat on my 275/40/17 RA1's and plan on using them until they cord.

(the car is an 05 GT with Steeda Sports, Steeda HD Strut mounts, koni yellows, and strano sways)

'Jim

i believe up to 10" wide out back wont have a problem, up front you would probably want to grab a set of stoppers if youre going to run them

silverhorseGT06

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone run 20" wheels at the track? I have a chance to pick up a really nice set of 20's with some pretty good rubber left on them really cheap (Roush style wheels I think, been a while since I've seen them, but they are in great shape and my local club member wants to get rid of them for next to nothing). I show my GT and don't want to take the chance of messing up my 18" Magnum 500 wheels on a curb or other obstacle. My other startup option is to use the stock 17's with new tires that I will need to pick up before any track time. Any thoughts on the 20's? I know the ride is a little rougher with the larger wheel and skinnier tires, but will they work better than the 17" stock double-spoke wheels only for track use? thanks in advance for any input!

Nevermind. Found that the general consensus prefer 18's over 20's for open track racing. Which is why I haven't bought them yet as I would prefer a nice set of 18's, but at less than $75 a wheel including rubber (he really wants to get rid of them before moving to Europe), the bargain shopper in me wanted to pick them up, haha. I'll either put better tires on my stock 17's for my first time out or maybe I'll come across a cheap set of 18's when I am ready.

Last edited:

raynman83

Novice Left Hand Turnist
Reaction score
I run 18X10's all around just fine on my 09 GT. I know 10" wide wheels didn't fit on my friends 05 V6. don't know what the difference is in cars, but it ended up ripping off her wheel well on the inside. I eventually bought the wheels off her and they never cause problems on my car. They are the cast aluminum black 18X10's from roush. Don't know the offset off the top of my head though.

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
I run 18X10's all around just fine on my 09 GT. I know 10" wide wheels didn't fit on my friends 05 V6. don't know what the difference is in cars, but it ended up ripping off her wheel well on the inside. I eventually bought the wheels off her and they never cause problems on my car. They are the cast aluminum black 18X10's from roush. Don't know the offset off the top of my head though.

only difference is the steering stops... if i recall correctly.

i've had the same issues with x9 rims rubbing off the inside of my wheel-well liners. they are probably +45 if they're authentic roush rims.

Kona6Stang10

forum member
Reaction score

i've had the same issues with x9 rims rubbing off the inside of my wheel-well liners. they are probably +45 if they're authentic roush rims.

The stock brake caliper bracket on the 6 is also closer to the hub, depending on the offset, they won't fit without a spacer.

I have a 5mm spacer on my front wheels to help clear ;)

zxmarekxz

Reaction score

nice ride along vid

raynman83

Novice Left Hand Turnist
Reaction score
They are direct from roush. and the steering stops are most likely the difference. the tires are 275's, I don't know how well larger tires would do either...fun video :)

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
The stock brake caliper bracket on the 6 is also closer to the hub, depending on the offset, they won't fit without a spacer.

I have a 5mm spacer on my front wheels to help clear ;)

good call... i totally forgot about the smaller rotors.

and thanks for watching the vid guys haha.

i'm looking to use some 2010 18x9.5 GT500 rims for the track as soon as I get tires. i'm thinking this will only be temporary though as I like attractiveness of the 5Zigen FN01R-C. Same sizing, with a 35mm offset (as opposed to the fordracing +45mm), and about 7 lbs lighter per wheel (than the gt500 rims, ~ same weight as OEM bullits) They're only about $1100 IIRC. I used to run 17x9 FN01R-C's (2nd pic) and I'm pretty sure those would have cleared the gt500 front brakes.

DSC00574-1.jpg

SoW22009004.jpg

Last edited:

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
I think he's traveling right now, but SGDave runs the 5Zigen FN01R-C in that size (18x9.5, +35mm offset) with Brembo brakes. There's some serious real estate behind those spokes, so no clearance worries at all (and no spacers req.).

The same is true of my last set of Enkei wheels, PF01 (same size/spec). These wheels were designed with very large brakes in mind. The PF01's are a bit more expensive (approx. $1350-$1,400/set), but they weigh a couple pounds less (20.5 lbs w/weights vs. approx. 23 lbs).

Thevesh also has 18x10" (+38mm) Enkei RPF-1 wheels wrapped around Stoptech ST-40 calipers. Someone else he knows has some other common bbk caliper (can't recall, Baer?) that this size fits. At 19.5 lbs, that's a pretty damn fine wheel for the same price.

Caution: I seem to recall reading somewhere that this wheel will not clear the Brembo calipers - they're about the fattest caliper out there in the common bbk market. Looking at my Stoptech ST-40s and Dave's Brembos, there's no comparison as to which needs greater clearance. So when shopping, even if you hear someone got a wheel and it cleared XYZ calipers, don't assume they'll clear all calipers (unless you know the XYZ caliper is a Brembo).

Best,
-j

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
And the question everyone is dying to have an answer to...do they clear Brembos?

Well our newbie pretty well dropped the ball on this one, no.

I had the same question, so I looked around. Good news! They clear.

Joe Heck Racing has run these on their 2011 Brembo equipped GT. I found a post about them on another site (sounds like "floral.net"), but I found that post after emailing them direct. This was the response I got:

"These wheels offer a ton of clearance. We have the 14" 4 piston Brembo brake kit and it isn't even close to the wheels...

Thanks and if you we can help in any way please let one of us know. -Adam"

I was thinking of going another direction, but at 21 lbs these are looking attractive.

Best,
-j

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back