Trying to decide between saving up and trading

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
I have a 09 V6 and id like to upgrade little by little from the rear to the front eventually getting the 5.0 crate from ford racing and doing a turbo setup, this is a bit costly but slowly i wouldnt feel it as much or also i was wondering whats the honest max horsepower i can get out of my v6.. i heard about forging the engine, well stroking to a 4.2 or 4.3 and then turbo.. but what would be my estimated gains? can i swap the auto 5 speed to a auto 6 speed?

honest help is much appreciated,

Thank you

WereWolf

forum member
Reaction score
shelby made a v6 mustang had it had i think around 325 or 350 hp and it was super charged with an intercooler

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Unless you are talking about a pushrod 5.0 the modular 5.0 is a difficult swap to get going, its not just a simple swap like a 4.6 would be. I know of a couple of turbo 4.0L that get around 400rwhp. Shelby did introduce the Terlingua Mustang to 375HP and had a great balance to it and was supposedly a blast to drive. As far doing a TR6060 swap you would need an adapter plate along with the wiring for the 6 speed. I am not to sure about stroking the 4.0 as I havent seen many if at all people doing stroker motors.

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
im thinking about doing small stuff to make the car drive and sound better rather then doing a 5.0 swap and then the whole 6 speed idea.. whats you guys opinions on that, ive never had a 6 speed auto so what type of difference will i feel

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
What transmission are you going to get that is a 6 speed auto?

If you want to add some small stuff to your motor check out super six motorsports. They have a couple stuff to add to the 4.0 that would help boost some power. What are you trying to do first and formost? Are you looking for a car that is a little bit more fun to drive?

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
yea i am looking for that shoot into my seat when i gas it, just fun i mean the numbers matter of course but overall just an enjoyable sports ride and i dont know what transmission just something i thought of.. what difference would i feel? and in your opinion is it worth it..

by the way thanks for your input its tough to get 4.0 tech input on this forum

DareDevil

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be more than happy to jump in and help you out, my experience so far max with a 4.0 motor would be anywhere from about 340+ horses (estimated) that would be of course full bolt ons, exhaust, nitrous, and most definitely a good tune. I have yet to get specific numbers on a Dyno but with a high 12 and low 13 second v6 i been running that's what i would range it as. It's all up to you buddy if you want that feel of performance start off with a sct tune from bama and a intake, from there you can work your way up and if your serious just throw in a bottle and your good to go OR if your budget is great then slap on a turbo from super six as mentioned above that would be great. If you need any help or advice be free to pm or post hope this helps :beerdrink:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/40SOHCdynotest1.pdf

Here is a dyno sheet that Super Six did with their car, they added a procharger at 14 PSI and make 440HP with their application.

I was thinking of going this route with my car but decided on just doing a V8 swap instead. Don't get me wrong building up your V6 and being faster than a lot of GTs is awesome but for me I decided differently.

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
that dyno is pretty much exactly what id like to get out of my v6, i just love the idea of driving a sleeper i had a s80 t6, a volvo and it was modded definite sleeper so much more satisfying when you zoom by unexpecting camaros and gts haha
im going to go ahead and do exactly what i planned to do then.. start from the rear and prepare the car for that much horsepower. the gears and 4.10 8.8 that stuff which i have more to read on and the gains and benefits bigger brakes suspension exhaust and then turbo.. god i appreciate the input especially that dyno gives me hope haha

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
super six motorsports seems to offer a few things i may do some looking into however its a lot to take in at the moment so ima continue reading

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I'll be more than happy to jump in and help you out, my experience so far max with a 4.0 motor would be anywhere from about 340+ horses (estimated) that would be of course full bolt ons, exhaust, nitrous, and most definitely a good tune. I have yet to get specific numbers on a Dyno but with a high 12 and low 13 second v6 i been running that's what i would range it as. It's all up to you buddy if you want that feel of performance start off with a sct tune from bama and a intake, from there you can work your way up and if your serious just throw in a bottle and your good to go OR if your budget is great then slap on a turbo from super six as mentioned above that would be great. If you need any help or advice be free to pm or post hope this helps :beerdrink:

You can easily get 12's out of a blown V6, with a vortech or procharger, on the stock engine (been there!). 440 out of a procharged v6 is NOT with a stock engine; poke around for those who've tried, and see how many 4.0 blocks are now junk.

340-350 rwhp is realistically-safe (with a manual trans), but it needs other mods, too (some fuel system upgrades, etc.) and VERY GOOD and SAFE custom tuning.

I looked closely into building my 4.0, at the limited availability of parts, costs, etc., and where I could go with it when I wanted more. Decided a better platform is a V8, long term, for the power I wanted.

Just think about what you want now AND later. Doing this stuff gets expensive.

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
doing a swap with a gt of the same year wouldnt be too expensive right? i mean engine swap seems cheaper then getting a whole other car considering i am still paying the v6.. and i cant drive manual due to health reasons so it would be a auto to auto v6 to v8 swap

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
doing a swap with a gt of the same year wouldnt be too expensive right? i mean engine swap seems cheaper then getting a whole other car considering i am still paying the v6.. and i cant drive manual due to health reasons so it would be a auto to auto v6 to v8 swap
Really you should just sell the V6 and buy a GT if you want to do it right, its going to be a headache otherwise. And with the GT, you will start with the 8.8 for example. Just buy an older well maintained GT and it will probably cost about the same as selling the 09 v6.

Last edited:

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
what the opinion here on the demon coil pack, taylor street plug wires, and the ngk iridium sparks.. also the 70mm throttle body by AM, can that be used with a CAI and tune.. i dont think i wanna do a v8 swap. to be honest i just want to improve the most out of this car little by little rather then get a whole other car the final results will just be a max tuned nice and fun to drive turbod v6 i dont really care for 1/4 times i dont even hit the track so im highly leaning towards keeping the v6

WereWolf

forum member
Reaction score
so far i have ford cia +tune and pypes street pros and havent spend more than 250, so i mean deals are out there you just got to look.
My car is not fast by any means but to people who don't know about cars or just your average person they think i have something.

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
so i mean deals are out there you just got to look.

x10000000, if your persistant enough, you WILL find what you need for dirt cheap. I have seen some RIDICULOUS deals on Craigslist......and if you live in a big city, you can get ANYTHING. I was buy/reselling stuff off of craigslist when I lived in DC and was making profits of 5-900%

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
what the opinion here on the demon coil pack, taylor street plug wires, and the ngk iridium sparks.. also the 70mm throttle body by AM, can that be used with a CAI and tune.. i dont think i wanna do a v8 swap. to be honest i just want to improve the most out of this car little by little rather then get a whole other car the final results will just be a max tuned nice and fun to drive turbod v6 i dont really care for 1/4 times i dont even hit the track so im highly leaning towards keeping the v6

V6 turbo can be pretty fast, the 4.0 has strong internals stock. You will probably want to upgrade your rear differential to a GT's 8.8.

DareDevil

forum member
Reaction score
I say you just go for it bossman! You do what YOU want and what YOU feel most comfortable with. Whatever you decide, we in this forum got your back 100 % :beerdrink: it won't be easy and probably not so cheap but it sure is possible to get the most out of the 4.0

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
i get attached to my cars so i cant just go around and trade it in cause of the engine lol.. ima go ahead and do what i planned.. i do have a question though if i buy like a borla dual exhaust.. will that at least fit a gt engine the 4.6/8 whatever it is or the 5.0 or will i be needing a whole new exhaust

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
i was on the super six motorsports site as recommended and they sell cams and shortblocks and forged internals.. is all that necessary because the last thing iwanna do is blow an engine so ill do everything necessary to cover myself now... i feel like buying those things is like almost a whole new engine,.. im not too understanding of these things..
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM201140SOHCCatRev1HeadsCams.pdf

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2011SOHCCatRev1ShortblockForgedInternals.pdf

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back