uh no,, broken oil dip stick ,, now what?

whitmanink

Reaction score
well , trying to get everything out and out of the way to do the head gaskets and timing , and i sprayed the oul dipstick tube with pb blaster quite a few times at the block , trying to pull it out, wont budge , try twisting and pulling , nothing , than it snapped , ,

it broke flush in the block, so now im figuring the only way to get it out %100 is to pull the motor , ?

so with that said, ive tried searching on how and if i can pull just the motor, .. i saw a few "yes" but it was pretty much only that,, alot of guys were saying pull them both or drop from bottom,,

i dont and cant pull the motor and trans together, my garage isnt high enough or long enough,, .

so any tips on how to get this engine out without doing anymore harm than i already did?
its an 09 manual if that matters ,,
thanx guys

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yes, you can pull the engine without the trans. I just did it with my F350 5.4 (same block) and there's a whole lot more room to work in the Mustang. I also pulled my motor in my 2009 Mustang without the trans. If you're doing head gaskets and timing chains, it really will be easier doing all that on an engine stand instead of humped over an engine compartment. You can also swap the oil pump for a high flow Melling unit. Remove the old oil tube while you have the pan off. This was 3 months ago, done solo and I have a bad hip.

IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0341.JPG

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you don't have access to an engine hoist or engine stand, check Craigslist. Common to find them for $100 each, which is what I paid for mine. I can also get my $200 out of them any time with a free ad.

Also, shop your parts using Rock Auto or similar online to get part numbers, then search the part numbers. I used almost all Motorcraft parts (and Fel Pro gaskets). Got my timing chain kit from North Florida Lincoln for a very good price, but you can shop Tasca since you're closer (shipping was the big difference). Amazon is great but be careful you're getting actual Motorcraft parts and not copies.

Last edited:

whitmanink

Reaction score
thanks guys,,
yea i have all new gaskets and oil pump and water pump and roller follwers and timing, i agree %1000 it would be better to have the engine out to do all of this,

i have an engine stand and a cherry picker,, my garage isnt tall enough and long enough to take them both out.

people said unplugging the tans wire ( for harness) is impossible with the trans in ,, can you tell me your experience ? and what you did to get the harness out?

i could drop the oil pan , but getting to that point id rather remover 6 to 8 bolts and pull the motor

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
If you can thread the right size screw in there to grab the inside of the broken tube you might be able to "slide hammer" it out, or grab the top screw with some vice grips and pull /twist it out.

Kind of like this process:

I've also heard of punching it down into the oil pan and fishing it out with a magnet after taking off the front cover.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

whitmanink

Reaction score
so lastnight i pulled the heads ,, and timing cover off, was able to use my little torch to heat the dipstick tube ,, used one of my easy outs i had , and screwed it till it turned the tube,, pulled,,, it came out a hair, easy out came out,, used a pick , heated again and out she came,, oring still attached lol ,

thank god that didnt turn into a nightmare ,,, now back to putting new head gaskets and all on her

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back