Unfortunate Build thread

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
(I think this counts as tech since its going to be full of tech discussion and pictures of an injured coyote)

I spent last weekend in Vegas for the Wuste Euro Car show (I represent a group called FRRG which is an Audi Driver's organization). Well, while up in the desert, the car's motor fails. From what we can tell, #7 is full of metal, and its probably valves. The intake valves are bent, and a P0025 code was sent showing a exhaust cam out of position. Oddly, it was super smooth letting go, just a noise progressively getting louder and the engine feeling like it was going in limp mode. On the 5 hour drive up from Phoenix, I thought it had felt a bit down on power, but I had written it off, unfortunately.

Fast forwarding, I obtain a Uhaul (since the nearest ford dealers were 55 miles away in vegas, and no one could see me until the following week) to take the car home, spend 6 hours in the desert loading up the car (what a nightmare it was getting the GT on a uhaul auto xporter), and even get run over in the process (a buddy clipped my foot and leg backing up a car that I was approaching). So additionally, I had some medical concerns to add to my bad luck.

The final bit of bad luck (if you put it that way) was that the repair isn't going to be covered by Ford. I don't want to go into a whole lot of detail on how or why; its a story in itself. Either way, I want to know what failed and how so I can either take responsibility, or advise Ford of the fault.

So now the car is at a friend's and I'm pulling the valve covers today to inspect the top half of the motor and see what condition the valvetrain is. A new service motor from Ford is roughly $5300 (which I'm unfortunately months away from having), or I can look into repairing this one. This thread will follow my progress as I do so.

Initially I wanted to just give up and let the bank have the car (not a terrible thought given the repair costs, what I owe, the damage that would be done, etc), but I'm really not the giving-up type. I'm still discussing with Ford regarding the warranty repairs and coverages, however depending on how much time/money I have to invest in that front I may move forward on the repairs on my own. I will at least be doing the mechanical removal of the engine and install of whatever replaces it (using the factory service manuals, which are still sorta in their infancy unfortunately), and then utilizing a dealer to complete the calibrations and scan tool procedures when installing a new motor.

I should have some pictures shortly of at least my findings. The only thing Ford's done so far besides a warranty cancellation is borescope the one cylinder to find scoring and bent valves.

At this point I'm looking at suppliers, engine builders, and doing my own cost/cap on repair vs replace. If I can get away for the same money on a shortblock with some chosen upgrades, or rebuild this one, then I will. Whatever goes in will be improved and the weakness that caused the failure will be corrected.

Sadly, I don't think I was abusing the car in any manner, but definitely in a higher risk area given the temps out here and lack of fantastic fuel options.

I'll have some pics later this afternoon. Now if anyone has any ideas on how to save money, make money, or get the car running sooner ..... feel free to contribute
smile.gif
. I'd be more upset about this, but its just a challenge to overcome.

Wharf Rat

Reaction score
That blows. You really haven't had good luck with that car. Cheapest option will be to find a complete engine out of a wrecked 5.0. I'm sure there's a few out there if you look around. Or, find the engine out of that Boss that got totaled at Firebird West a few months ago...

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this capt. This is also my main concern with my car. My car has had some weird valve train noise for some time and its been to the dealer numerous times and has had one tsb done but the noise is coming from the passenger side head and not the drivers side which is what the tsb specifies. Just out of curiosity why won't ford cover it?

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Ill say it.. what mods you got.

either way I have been there and wish you luck.. take your time. having friends help

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
I have good news for you ? I'm close and have an engine with under 750 miles on it if ur interested. I'm close, and in San Diego,too. PM me if I can help.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
the warranty is void due to modifications on the car and Ford's evidence of my going to HPDE/School days. I've screamed until I was blue in the face, there's no winning that battle unfortunately.

So I took a valvecover off today, and surprisingly, 16 well-retained valvestems were staring back at me. I was expecting to at least see some carnage around the ones that were noted as problematic. Its sounding more like the more-common piston issue, just in the wrong hole.

Some pictures:
a shot down the intake side
IMG_1276.JPG

overall
brokencoyote2.jpg

plugs 6,7,8 (not thrilled about that oil in 8)
brokencoyote1.jpg

not terrible wear anywhere
brokencoyote3.jpg

one of the valves I didn't expect to see
brokencoyote4.jpg

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
My question may seem irrelevant to some, not so to others, nor will it help with your demise, but:

What were your full list of mods?
Whos tune are you running?
Have you sought feedback recently via datalogging your tune since you've flashed?
What year/build date is your car?

I'm preaching to the choir here, but when we mod these cars or ANYTHING for that matter........tune, tune, tune is the key to longevity IMO. The different enviroments/conditions we push our cars in should be kept in check by datalogging and tuner feedback or else pay the piper. It's not FORD's responsibility to keep tabs on our tunes once we start modding.

Probably the combo of heat and detonation is what killed your motor. Sucks.

I'd shop for a 5.0 from a wreck and toss that in there.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Not sure whats going on with your car, have never seen a plug look anywhere near that bad. Also, looks like those valve guides are cracked/broken.
Something in the cylinder let go (likely piston), and the bits and pieces came in contact with the valve and bent it which generally breaks the guide as well.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
yeah, at a bare minimum without lifting off the head I'm down for 4 valveguides (2 presumably plus the two you see there), valves, and then hardware + valvejob and maybe more repair.

I'm thinking a piston came apart. there's something "significant" in there that's not just bent valves scoring and beating everything up.

Oddly not one ounce of smoke I could see, not any roughness (until now of course), just slowly gave up and the noises were introduced. I thought the car was going into a limp mode but temps were within norms, though ambient was 105.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
My question may seem irrelevant to some, not so to others, nor will it help with your demise, but:

What were your full list of mods?
Whos tune are you running?
Have you sought feedback recently via datalogging your tune since you've flashed?
What year/build date is your car?

I'm preaching to the choir here, but when we mod these cars or ANYTHING for that matter........tune, tune, tune is the key to longevity IMO. The different enviroments/conditions we push our cars in should be kept in check by datalogging and tuner feedback or else pay the piper. It's not FORD's responsibility to keep tabs on our tunes once we start modding.

Probably the combo of heat and detonation is what killed your motor. Sucks.

I'd shop for a 5.0 from a wreck and toss that in there.

I'll edit this post in a bit to include that info.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back