Updated Camshaft Phasers

rzaenglein

forum member
Reaction score
As we all know with the 3 Valves, once you put certain stiffer valve spring on our cars you can get noise from the cam phasers unless you have the lockouts. I'm really trying to stay with the limiters because I want to keep the broader power band. I spoke with livernois today and they explained to me Ford has revised these phaser several times. They went on to tell me with Fords newest revision, known to them, that it has been updated with a lighter internal spring and lighter weight material. Livernois said they tested this unit with aftermarket springs. They found that as long as oil pressure stayed at 12psi or higher at the cylinder heads no noise came about with these revised phasers from ford.

New revised phaser part # ends in "HA"

Anyone have more info on this or have this fix their "phaser noise"?

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Awe man I wish that were true (not saying it is not). But I haven't read this before...

Would be nice to keep limited Phaser capability with high lift cams.

rzaenglein

forum member
Reaction score
Im gonna check into it some more, If I find the cam phasers ending in that part # I'm going to purchase them, Mine have a little over 60K anyways. Will report back with what I find

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
As we all know with the 3 Valves, once you put certain stiffer valve spring on our cars you can get noise from the cam phasers unless you have the lockouts. I'm really trying to stay with the limiters because I want to keep the broader power band. I spoke with livernois today and they explained to me Ford has revised these phaser several times. They went on to tell me with Fords newest revision, known to them, that it has been updated with a lighter internal spring and lighter weight material. Livernois said they tested this unit with aftermarket springs. They found that as long as oil pressure stayed at 12psi or higher at the cylinder heads no noise came about with these revised phasers from ford.

New revised phaser part # ends in "HA"

Anyone have more info on this or have this fix their "phaser noise"?

Just wanted to clarify a little bit on the cam phasers. There have indeed been several revisions to the cam phasers. These revisions made slight improvements over the years in the function of the cam phaser. Cam phasers prior to the "HA" revision tended to have some difficultly in various different scencarios with camshaft control and issues at idle depending on oil pressure. The new cam phasers improved on that though and are capable of more consistent operation across the board.

I'm not exactly sure on the internal spring and material weight that you mentioned, personally I'm not aware of these specific changes. There were some small changes internally to the phasers which allowed for slightly modified oil paths, but these things were very minor. They did improve the phaser function however. There was a spring change on some of the newer phasers, but this spring is external. It's the spring that's on the outside of the phaser. The newer phasers have a slimmer spring that is not as big as the older phasers. The newer springs also have slightly different bolt placement for holding the spring differently.

The newer phasers tend to be the more preferred phasers to use. Though the lockout and limiter kits will work in any model phaser. They fit them all as the internal structure is the same.

As far as the oil pressure goes, 12lbs is about bare minimum you can get away with. On a non-modified phaser without a limiter installed that's probably pushing the limits for low oil pressure without phaser noise. With a limiter installed you're still going to be at the very bottom of that threshold. Having closer to 15-18 lbs as a safe minimum is probably a better recommendation.

If you have other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'm not finding an "HA". Anyone have any more info on this? The newest part number I'm finding is the 3R2Z-6A257-DA, which has been around for a little while now.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not finding an "HA". Anyone have any more info on this? The newest part number I'm finding is the 3R2Z-6A257-DA, which has been around for a little while now.

I've got a new KA the spring is noticeably thinner than the stock ones on my 06
????????

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Why not just make a solid cam gear and get rid of all the extra stuff for us that are locking it?

While a solid cam gear would be a decent option, it would require tooling up to have them made. The gears would end up costing more than the solid aluminum inserts that fit into the factory cam phasers. They both do an identical job, so if you're looking for an option to completely lockout your cam phasers than I would recommend using the lockout kit.

Thanks

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score

That part number you're finding is actually the Ford part number for a cam phaser repair kit. That part number originated years ago and was tied to the TSB that Ford issued for the knocking cam phasers. This was actually the introduction of the "HA" part number phaser that was included in this kit.

The "HA" number is actually the suffix at the very end of the part number on the phaser itself. This number is printed on the front of the phaser. Using the kit number from Ford listed above will come with the newest Ford phaser included. This will be at least an "HA" part or newer.

Thanks

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I've got a new KA the spring is noticeably thinner than the stock ones on my 06
????????

Yes, this is correct. The very newest phasers have the thinner spring. This phaser will work just fine, though we recommend that you use a limiter or lockout if running aftermarket cams or valve springs.

Thanks

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just realized I didn't use the multi-quote. Sorry about that, I'll remember next time. If a mod could clean it up that would be appreciated. Thanks

Back