Upgrade brake choices foe 2007 GT w/ Bullitts

Homebrw

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Can anyone tell me if there are ANY brake upgrade options for a 2007 GT vert premium with 18" Bullitt wheels?

I'm looking for something that has better performance and better looks than my stockers. Car has 18k babied miles, and I will be adding a supercharger soon.

It seems that every brake kit option on AM calls for different wheels. I actually like these wheels and also don't want to spend the money on new ones.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• 20161105_201401.jpg
    20161105_201401.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 19

2007Vert

forum member
Reaction score
You can upgrade to stainless steel brake lines and Hawk performance pads.

Kuplex

Software Developer
Reaction score
It won't look any different but you can get bigger rotors and caliper brackets from 11-14 GTs (non-Brembo). Slide the rotors on, bolts up the new bracket and your current caliper. Throw on some good pads. Cheap and effective. Clears those wheels too and I have the same setup.

You can upgrade the brake lines while you're at it if you want.

RCrumb

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had/have the same issue. I went with the power stop kit (pads and rotors) which are good. I agree with the others, the braided steal lines are very effective and well worth the money. Had them on other vehicles and they made a huge difference. But nothing is a substitute for a big brake upgrade ket all around.Good luck.

Homebrw

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! What exactly do SS brake lines do?

Sounds like the only option to change calipers involves new wheels. Bummer!

Chris

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Can anyone tell me if there are ANY brake upgrade options for a 2007 GT vert premium with 18" Bullitt wheels?

I'm looking for something that has better performance and better looks than my stockers. Car has 18k babied miles, and I will be adding a supercharger soon.

It seems that every brake kit option on AM calls for different wheels. I actually like these wheels and also don't want to spend the money on new ones.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks,
Chris
IIRC, the later non-Brembo rotors are 13.2" vs the 12.4" you have now. The majority of any braking improvement - in terms of pedal effort required at the very least - would be coming from pads with better 'bite'. The 6% diameter increase is worth more for fade resistance than for any increase in braking capability at any given pedal force.

Either Ford's own HD fluid or ATE 200 fluid are appropriate choices for street-only driving, though the ATE 200 is also sufficient for occasional novice/introductory-level track time. Spending more on fluid brings on a responsibility for bleeding it on a more regular basis (it absorbs moisture more readily).

I have 16 track days on my car's little 12.4-inchers, and with track capable pads, slightly better fluid than the above-mentioned two, and a little extra front brake cooling they've been entirely sufficient for my driving at the intermediate level. Your street driving won't even be close to what track driving demands, so you don't actually need 14"-ers.

Pads: don't bother with Hawk's HPS (they don't feel a bit better than OE) or HP+ (these will eat rotors in street driving). I have no experience with the new HPS 5.0 pads. What I'd seriously consider would be one of the lower formulations of G-loc or Carbotech pads. High initial bite, gentle on rotors. Fair warnings, the R6/AX6 pads may dust a little or make occasional noise, and if you aren't road course tracking the car or you can't live with more than just a little of those consequences don't bother looking at the R8/XP8 and up.

Be a little careful about doing any rotor and caliper "appearance" mods. Generally, they detract from potential braking performance or durability.

Norm

Last edited:

Homebrw

Reaction score
OK. Got it. I'll leave well enough alone. They do look like crap though. Looks like a monkey was grinding on them! (Calipers).

Chris

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 for the '11-'14 brackets and 13.2" rotor upgrade. I did that, stainless brake lines and have been running the ATE 706202 Original TYP 200 DOT 4 Brake Fluid for years. When I upgraded I sprung for new take off calipers and brackets and ground the calipers smooth and cleaned them before painting them with caliper paint. The paint is holding up way better than when I just cleaned and painted the original calipers. When I installed the stainless brakes lines at the same time I flushed the ~3 year old DOT 4 fluid and put new in. I do have older aftermarket 18" chrome bullet wheels and they did touch the relocated calipers but a 3/16" spacer took care of that. I am very happy with the brake upgrade.

If you know anyone with a '11-'14 GT just try putting on of your wheels on the front of it and see if it will work.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! What exactly do SS brake lines do?

Sounds like the only option to change calipers involves new wheels. Bummer!

Chris

SS brake lines won't flex, like the oem rubber lines. The Typ SS line is a combo SS with teflon liner.

Carbotech 1521 is a good street pad as is the new hawk HPS 5.0 pad.

Slotted 12.4" rotors work good, a little less fade resistant, but are not really required.

I use 2.5" silicone hoses for the front brake ducts....onto mating 14" dust shields. That's a CDC setup, that works great with 12.4" oem size rotor's. Then toss in SS brake lines + ATE-200 fluid..or Wilwood 570 fluid.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back