Upgrading the 5.0?

callahan318

Reaction score
I saw an article on how Ford really put a lot of work into this engine and it has been stated that the motor will have an 11:1 compression ratio.

I am wondering how difficult it will be to pull more power out of the engine.

Any educated guesses or ideas?

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
^ +1, going off of what others have said and the currently disclosed Shelby GT350 specs, F/I can also be used but low boost only unless the motor is built with forged rods/pistons.

Because of the new high flowing factory headers, longtubes are said to only yield 15 HP on the 5.0, but I thought that s197 longtubes only produced 10-20rwhp on N/A setups, so I don't see how that's bad.

Last edited:

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
I really don't think many aftermarket heads will outflow these. An if they do it will be minimal and not worth the price

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You know, there is plenty of info on this engine.....

I don't believe there will be any aftermarket heads, only reworked stockers. I feel that even early on, the hot ticket will be piston and rod sets. The crankshaft is plenty strong, fully counterweighted and forged. It's oil passages are radiused on the leading edge and the pump drive area on the crank was extended .2362" (6mm) to increase gear strength and pump volume due to the loss from piston squirters. If you haven't seen the main caps, they are massive in comparison to other "mod" motors. I think you will see the same mods on the new 5.0 as everyone offers with the 4.6. I believe that cam pricing will be higher than giraffe puss with the addition of 2 additional cams. I can also see that the phasers will not need to be locked, since the control the PCM has over them will be more accurate and because the new 5.0 is not an interference engine. That means piston to valve contact can occur if the VCT fails.

:2cents:

Last edited:

callahan318

Reaction score
Interesting. If the motor needs only good pistons and a few parts, won't that cut down on the cost needed to produce more horsepower when compared to a 4.6?

(I am not familiar with the 4.6 motors...but am learning.)

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not really, you just won't need a crank unless you are going from 302 to ~322 cubes. You will still make all the same basic upgrades elsewhere.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
i think the major expense with the cams will be the new TVicT or whatever it is...the 4V cam timing. All the big name cam companies already have blanks for 4V cars so theyll just have to make some for the 5.0 specific cars....it didnt take COMP long to have 3V cams out...hell i remember talking to BBR about cams back in 2005 for the 3V.

i dont think anyone will ever make an aftermarket 4V head for any of these cars....theres just no point in it. The stockers make plenty of power as it is.

o0Dan0o

forum member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Natural1. LT headers will probably add some power, as will a few other basic upgrades. But I don't know that these motors will be any more capable of pushing past the ole 400 rwhp limit than any other mod motor of the past, and if they do it will like be by revving it (like the old 4v NA cobras).
Dan

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
If I wanted more power out of the new 5.0 i´d just throw in lower CR pistons, Rods (if needed) and leave everything else stock, cams, heads, etc just to throw in a TS supercharger.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I wanted more power out of the new 5.0 i´d just throw in lower CR pistons, Rods (if needed) and leave everything else stock, cams, heads, etc just to throw in a TS supercharger.

It will need rods.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Wow. That will certainly mean that four of those suckers is going to get VERY expensive.

I hope we don't see four 5.0 cams costing much more than the 12-1400 for four 4v 4.6 cams, but it is an all new engine, so sadly the price hike is inevitable.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I personally think that with some good fuel, longtubes, cams, some sort of bigger better throttlebody/CAI, and a killer tune that this motor will make 500 hp (at the crank) no problem. This is my opinion, but based on the compression, cubic inches, and cylinder heads, this motor moves some serious air and easily has the potential to make some serious n/a hp.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Doubtful, that the VCT will add expense. However, I'd say that 2 extra cams will add considerable expense.
i meant that the VCT will be an added expense in regards to additional tuning, VCT lockouts, etc. just like we have in the 3V's.

Gene K

forum member
Reaction score
I really don't think many aftermarket heads will outflow these. An if they do it will be minimal and not worth the price

According to the engineer that designed them the factory header design had to be compromised because of Cat location. They took a pumping hit but its the best they can do with the limitations that were placed on them.

The factory headers are worth 6 bhp and 15 lb-ft over iron manifolds.

The lead engineer on the projest stated long tubes would be worth an estimated 15 bhp over the factory headers.

Disclaimer: This is all based on published quotes of these individuals. I have no direct knowledge.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back