Using a shiftlight for staging an A/T ?

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, how did you, all A/T drag racer, do your staging. I mean i feel the accelerator very sensitive. And many times i'm such in a hurry while staging because it takes me so long to find my rpm and watch the tree at the same time.

What is your tricks ?

I'm starting to consider putting a shiftlight staged at 2000 rpm for example.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I've thought of that as well... but if the light comes on at 2000, how would you know if it was actually over 2000, say 2200 or 2500?

Personally, I do it by feel right now. But I'll be the first to admit that it's not very consistent at all.

p.s. Moving this to track discussion section.

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The best would be to have one of those MSD things. But i know no one with one of this in an A/T. Parsed the web site but it's to technical for me.

At least the light could tell me i reach my point. Up to me to stop at this point.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Raptor will be offering a two stage shift light in the near future to do just this and act as a normal shift light. I don't want to divulge any secrets but Raptor does have something in the works. Once they become available we will let you all know. It's nice being 10 minutes from them.

don_w

Reaction score
Raptor will be offering a two stage shift light in the near future to do just this and act as a normal shift light. I don't want to divulge any secrets but Raptor does have something in the works. Once they become available we will let you all know. It's nice being 10 minutes from them.
Without divulging any secrets... are you talking about a light that goes on at one rpm (say 2000) and then off again at some higher rpm (say 2200)? If so, I'd be very interested in that.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
That would be correct, it will alert you once you are in your target RPM range and it will also alert you if you are out of that range.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think what would be cool is a shift light with two different colors.

Perhaps yellow for like a 300 rpm window 2200-2500 rpm or whatever, then green for your normal shift point of 6700.

don_w

Reaction score
That would be correct, it will alert you once you are in your target RPM range and it will also alert you if you are out of that range.
Sweet... definitely keep us updated on that! That will help many of us who don't have the luxury of a transbrake.

I think what would be cool is a shift light with two different colors.

Perhaps yellow for like a 300 rpm window 2200-2500 rpm or whatever, then green for your normal shift point of 6700.
Since I only plan on using it for preloading the converter on the launch, I wouldn't need it for a shift point. But, you could always use two different raptor lights to do what you describe as well.

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This would be nice.
:allhail:
The best is setting the rpm. press a button to lock it. go to wot, a release the button for launch.

don_w

Reaction score
The best is setting the rpm. press a button to lock it. go to wot, a release the button for launch.
I agree... but that ain't happening for us anytime soon (unless I swap to a different tranny with a transbrake). I just don't want to try to look at the tach while I'm concentrating on the tree... so this new Raptor gizmo will work for me.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Heck yeah, I'm all over that.

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree... but that ain't happening for us anytime soon (unless I swap to a different tranny with a transbrake). I just don't want to try to look at the tach while I'm concentrating on the tree... so this new Raptor gizmo will work for me.

Yeah i know. too bad.

For sure this new raptor seems good.

don_w

Reaction score
I wonder how much that costs... it has more features than I need, that's for sure.

don_w

Reaction score
$170ish at Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM%2D3388&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I picked one up at Tognotti's Auto World in Sac this afternoon for some mod fun tomorrow. Got online, did a little research and learned about getting a tach signal. grrrrrr
Thanks! Not as bad as I expected. Guess I'd need one of the 3-pod SOS pillars now. hahah

BTW, I haven't paid much attention to posts about tach signals... what's the scoop there?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back