Utube and Mustang advise

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Last night I'm watching various posting on Utube and come across one on 2012 GT's 5.0 (I have a 2012 GT 5.0) So I listen to the guy about how important it is to check your oil level as the PV valve will cause your car to lose oil and you could damage your engine.

I'm getting ready to go on a car run this morning with other convertible owners so I decided I should check my oil level. Took a bit to find the dip stick but it is yellow, so found it and my level was full. I never check my oil level (not bragging) but I do watch for smoke out the tail pipes, oil on the garage floor and my gauges. I only put about 3,000 miles a year on my car as I put it away as soon as the state starts spraying the highway for ice control.

I change my oil every year before the car goes in storage for the winter so it will get new oil next week. Honestly, what I saw on the dip stick looked very clean.

I know many of the people on Utube are trying to make money by posting video's, not always sure how accurate their advice is. Not sure how good of a gage it is but if I start finding my engine dirty, I start looking for the cause. OK, my mechanic.

Clean Engine + 100s more.jpg

JC SSP

Reaction score
I know you just recently purchased this car but the first thing I do when I buy a used car is change the oil and filter. Also any other filters (air, cabin, fuel, etc.)

I also check spark plugs, brake pads and other fluids (coolant, transmission and rearend, etc.).

Obviously if the car has extensive documentation then I would still check some of these item but let it ride until the next service interval.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Are you asking about storing your car for six months?

Before I went to Okinawa in 86, the dealer told me to leave my GT on jackstands. I drained the oil and removed the battery, but that was because I expected to be gone for a year.

I think if you just went out the garage once a month, ran the engine until it was fully warm, ran the a/c for a few minutes, you'd be fine.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
The car stays in the garage for about five months. I do go out and run it for 15, 20 minutes and I move the car to have the tires resting in a new spot. I have never done the air- conditioner. I'm assuming that's to keep everything lubricated? I will start doing that as well.

Basically, I stop driving the Mustang when the state starts spraying the highway with salt and start up again when they no longer spray.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back