valve fell in cly, HELP!!!

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
Since i got my new motor back i had blue smoke on start up, so i went head and started to change my valve seals. since leak down and compression test checked out. i was on cyl #7 and i had forgot to fill the cyl up with rope and move the piston up...well.. i took the spring off, then i pull the seal off and the valve falls into the cly. doesnt feel like the valve is still in the guild either, the pistion must be to low. anyone have any ideas on how to fish it out or am i out of luck and have to take the head off? tried to use a pick up tool magnet but they seem to be to big.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I think you know the answer.

The only chance you have is to stick a borescope down through the spark plug hole and see if it is possible to get it with a magnet.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
ohhh........................

enjoy removing the head....dont do it again

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Only chance I would think is if you pull the seal and guide and use a small flexible magnet down the spark plug hole. But that's wishful thinking and your probably sol.

Turbotungsten

forum member
Reaction score
You should be able to do it without pulling the guide. Not sure how you would get the guide out, then back in over the valve once you pulled the valve back out. Bore scope in the sparkplug hole, and a small rigid strong magnet throught the valve guide as Thumper stated. If you get a small enough, rigid enough, and strong enough magnet you should be able to get ahold of the tip of the valve and pull it back up.

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Hobby-N..._sim_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=15QMCKRXZEN1FXKBDNZT

Afix one of these to a .22 cal cleaning rod. Use a good epoxy so that you don't have a magnet loose in your combustion chamber.

These may work better. You may have to stack a couple of them as I believe this increases strength. These little magnets are strong but no guarantee they are strong enough. It may be worth the few bucks to find out.

http://www.amazon.com/MAGCREDIBLE%C2%AE-Magnets-Rare-Earth-Package/dp/104800001X/ref=pd_sbs_k_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AMEWC4T9XHV4444GGJ6

Last edited by a moderator:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
*cringe* like stated above a magnet and lots of patience may be able to do it.
It should be standing up in there anyway.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for the ideas...tried acouple of things but im going to have to remove the head. im sure i would of had the head off by now. :headscratch: just hate messing with the tubo kit.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
An off topic Quick question. Do i need to replace the head gasket or can the same one be reused. About 1.2k miles on the head gasket. Or can it be reused but best to chanhe it?

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
An off topic Quick question. Do i need to replace the head gasket or can the same one be reused. About 1.2k miles on the head gasket. Or can it be reused but best to chanhe it?

Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
New gasket and new bolts required if you used TTY bolts instead of ARP.
For what the FRPP head gasket kit costs it's not even worth thinking about.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't the head gasket kit just go from $89 to $329? :asslicker:

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
i just got a "warranty" replacement from the local auto parts store... this time im going to go with the 85lb setting on the arp studs. after seeing all these threads on arp studs and cracking blocks gets me alittle nervous. now ill be able to do this on the drive side no problem. my passanger side is torqued down to 100lbs... i think i can i just back it off and re torque it to 85ftlb? i know in the process of backing it off coolant might come out... but i also drained it all out. if there is some will this mess with the head gasket and need to replace it as well?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would not release the torque unless you replace the gasket. Just going to have to put it out of your mind.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It would have failed already, if you had gomered it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back