Valve spring removal

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Got the heads back from shop today. This the best tool to change springs with? Any tricks or tips?
upload_2023-5-1_11-2-1.png

Wanted to order this, looks easier, but I think it only works on 2V’s..?
upload_2023-5-1_11-3-8.png

upload_2023-5-1_11-2-45.png

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have to ask… why didn’t the machine shop change the valve springs?

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I have to ask… why didn’t the machine shop change the valve springs?
I wanted to do it. I just wanted the machine shop to build the shortblock. I like working on things, I just don’t like all the technical specs, clearances, bla bla…just wasn’t comfortable building the shortblock. I did the cams & springs on my 2002 so I’m confident in doing them…just looking for the least amount of busted knuckles lol!!!

They said they checked the valve seals and all checked out good…I’m thinking about replacing them anyway, motor had 180k on it…should I? Felpro are only $30, seems like a no brainer. Trying to find vids on it now!

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
the top one looks similar to the one I borrowed from the local Ford dealer to do mine. Its pretty easy, get a little teloscoping magnet, it makes the spring retainers easier to keep track of. yes on replacing the seals while you are in there. A little dab of grease on the valve stems or retainers helps keep them in place on the re assembly before you release the spring.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
the top one looks similar to the one I borrowed from the local Ford dealer to do mine. Its pretty easy, get a little teloscoping magnet, it makes the spring retainers easier to keep track of. yes on replacing the seals while you are in there. A little dab of grease on the valve stems or retainers helps keep them in place on the re assembly before you release the spring.
Awesome thanks for the tips! Trying to decide on which seals, anyone have any experiences with these 2?

E5B14EB6-588B-43D3-8BDA-AE2A8B775570.png

ABBC3318-9BB2-4B07-A0D8-AA00146A7AEE.png

whitmanink

Reaction score
i got that same one i used (the first one posted e-cowboy) to change my roller followers ,, mine had to be modified as the gap was too wide on the legs and scraped head alum off when trying to put it in place,, squeezed the legs together some and worked perfect,

Reaction score
This is what I used when I did my cams a while back. Same idea as the second one that you listed. You do need the 3 valve specific part number though, since this tool requires a threaded hole directly above each valve spring.

I don't have any complaints about using the tool, except to do the work with the head out of the car if you can. My back wasn't right for a few days after leaning over the fenders all day.

https://www.euroexportinc.com/ford-modular-4-6l-5-4l-3v-valve-spring-compressor/

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
The FEL-PROs will do exactly what you need to do. They are Viton just like the pretty blue ones.
Ended up getting the Viton. Most the google searches I did pulled the Viton’s up and I saw on RockAuto that the FelPro where possibly out-dated versions…I dunno lol, figure both will work, me putting to much thought in it.

This is what I used when I did my cams a while back. Same idea as the second one that you listed. You do need the 3 valve specific part number though, since this tool requires a threaded hole directly above each valve spring.

I don't have any complaints about using the tool, except to do the work with the head out of the car if you can. My back wasn't right for a few days after leaning over the fenders all day.

https://www.euroexportinc.com/ford-modular-4-6l-5-4l-3v-valve-spring-compressor/
Dang how’d you find that? I’ve looked everywhere..I thought!! Ended up winning that 1st one off eBay for $15 but prefer the one you have. Looking for a cheaper knock off brand now…thanks for the link!!!

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
1st attempt was a failure!! I got the spring compressor for $15 and got what I paid for I guess. After much grinding I was able to force the hooks between the tower walls and the cam lobe but it was tight. It barely fit between center lobe and outer lobes. Bcz it was so tight I was never able to get any threads started. Have a new tool coming, hoping to get the job done.

How do I torque the cam sprockets bolts? Dont they have to be torqued before I install the timing chains?

8E1B00E8-2628-4060-A2AF-F423D335E94C.png

778E3503-DBA4-4F8A-BA1A-62192DE0134F.jpeg

09C6129A-0255-44FF-91A8-EB5F86EC197F.png

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I tried fighting valve springs years ago on my Bullitt and it was miserable, but I finally won. Last year when I went through my truck motor (5.4 3v) I took my mechanic's advice and just took the cam off. I swapped out the lifters and followers then carefully reinstalled the cam by tightening the cam caps a little at a time. Was a piece of cake.

IMG_0336.JPG

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
You have the heads off the engine. You can use a conventional C type valve spring compressor to do the job. Remove the cams from the heads to get them out of the way. Mark the cam caps so you can get them back in the same position and orientation.
There is a holding tool that bolts to the front of the engine and holds the cam sprocket in place while you do the torque and turn sequence on the sprocket bolt. It holds the sprocket by its teeth and does not put strain on the chain or cams.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
You have the heads off the engine. You can use a conventional C type valve spring compressor to do the job. Remove the cams from the heads to get them out of the way. Mark the cam caps so you can get them back in the same position and orientation.
There is a holding tool that bolts to the front of the engine and holds the cam sprocket in place while you do the torque and turn sequence on the sprocket bolt. It holds the sprocket by its teeth and does not put strain on the chain or cams.
Think I found the tool you’re talking about..thanks!! Sucks kinda, had I put the whole job together before I started I could’ve gotten a kit that contains everything for about $40! Kinda buying the tools I need as I go

CB635CC4-1849-4963-A5A9-A11A5B2EA53E.png

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
6 down..18 to go, man I’m gettin old lol!! New tool works really good. Hardest part so far is getting the old seals out, man those baby’s are in there. Currently I’m either using the little red flat head to try to pry up under them (angle to steep), or I can sometime grab one with the spark plug wire pullers (rubber coated tip), but most are coming out with needle nose pliers but if it slips off *BING* against the valve stem..very scary!! Gained 25yrs & 80lbs since I did this last..lower backs like “F you buddy” lol

1E192E11-B702-4F10-BF21-B8C44A725A8F.jpeg

whitmanink

Reaction score
1st attempt was a failure!! I got the spring compressor for $15 and got what I paid for I guess. After much grinding I was able to force the hooks between the tower walls and the cam lobe but it was tight. It barely fit between center lobe and outer lobes. Bcz it was so tight I was never able to get any threads started. Have a new tool coming, hoping to get the job done.

How do I torque the cam sprockets bolts? Dont they have to be torqued before I install the timing chains?

View attachment 87086

View attachment 87087

View attachment 87088

thats wat was wrong with mine,, the "legs" were alll wide scraping the sides of the heads. i had to modify mine to work

Back