Well, It's Addictive...Went to the track...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sooooo, guess where I went today........THE TRACK!!!

A bunch of friends and I went up to the Kennedale 1/8 Mile track in well....Kennedale, Texas....durrrr. First off I didn't think it was gonna be anything special, but it was...

This was my first time actually running on the track. I've been multiple times but never had the balls to throw my BIG FAT VERT on the track. This time, I did. I honestly was hoping for mid-low 9's with this being my first time though I knew 8's would or at least should be easy in obtaining. Lets check out the mods...

- Custom 93 Octane HPP Racing Tune
- C&L "Street" CAI
- FRPP Deletes
- Steeda UDP's
- FRPP 4.10's
- SLP LM's
- Optima Yellow Top (Yeah I know, but it's my favorite mod)
- CHE LCA's
- CHE UCA
- AUTOMATIC Tranny
- Stock BFG 18in Fanblades (I believe thats what they're called)

Don't forget it's a vert...

Now, I'm probably getting my hopes up for nothing, but I felt I did good for my first time around the track. I ran about 10 times or so but I'll get the exact number tomorrow. I did get all of my slips as well. I also had a horrible time at the tree, I kept jumping it, but that didn't effect my times so it's all good. I have no idea what good numbers are in a vert in the 1/8 mile so if someone could chime in and help me on that it would be amazing...

FIRST RUN

R/T -.213
60' 2.185
330 5.94
MPH 61.21
1/8 8.987
MPH 79.91

Is that good? What do I need to work on?

MY BEST RUN

R/T -.157
60' 2.129
330 5.803
MPH 62.48
1/8 8.791
MPH 81.26

I was pretty happy, and just straight up had fun...especially crapping on LS1's all night. Well except this damn ws6 running low 7's, it was pretty sweet though. Of course there was some sweet stangs out there running some insane 5's and 6's whooaaaa!!!

I really need some help on driving, and am now offically addicted. I'm ordering some tires sometime this week and maybe a DS, LT's, more suspension goodies, and whatever else is suggested to me... It's just sooo damn addicting and I LOVE it!!!!!

- Justin

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention. I need some tires!!!!!!!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get ya some tires and get ya some practice. That wasn't a bad start by any means.

Kennedale isn't a bad track at all. I haven't been down there in probably a year or so, but they used to have these two kids working there doing track prep that took pride in watching people break their axles and driveshafts.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they used to have these two kids working there doing track prep that took pride in watching people break their axles and driveshafts.

hahahahahahaha now thats my kinda kids lol

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Justin, welcome to the addiction!! :clap:

8.79 isn't bad, but a better torque converter would help a lot... provided you had good tires. Get that 60' time down a little lower, and you should see mid 8's.

Also, are you launching from and idle? Or did you powerbrake it?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get ya some tires and get ya some practice. That wasn't a bad start by any means.

Kennedale isn't a bad track at all. I haven't been down there in probably a year or so, but they used to have these two kids working there doing track prep that took pride in watching people break their axles and driveshafts.

Only had one person blow their tranny...Those kids picked it up pretty quick!!!

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether to say "congrats" or "I'm sorry for ya"

"Congrats" on a great time at the track

"I'm sorry for ya" that you have picked up that needle. It will own you now...:bonebh:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Justin, welcome to the addiction!! :clap:

8.79 isn't bad, but a better torque converter would help a lot... provided you had good tires. Get that 60' time down a little lower, and you should see mid 8's.

Also, are you launching from and idle? Or did you powerbrake it?

I need help with my launch tremendously. The first run I didn't heat up the tires and did decent, then my second run I turned the TCS off and slid all the way down the track through 3rd throwing tar all over the place and on the back of my ride which really blew balls and everyone laughed their asses off.

I did powerbrake it as well, I got it up to about 1500 then went all out with it. The tree kills me though, I always jump it....I'd be amazing at bracket racing...lol.

As of now I'm addicted. I'm doing the following as soon as possible.

- Tires
- Torque Converter
- Driveshaft
- Finish up CHE Suspension
- Maybe ARH Long Tubes if I have the funds
- DIET FOR ME AND CAR!!!!!

I was running with the tire in trunk, along with about an extra 100+ pounds of junk in the trunk ie some stock parts, school bag, tennis bag, car cleaning stuff, etc.

I also need some help on the converter as well. Maybe some of the suspension parts. For the tires I'm either going with M&H 325/45/17's or MT ET Streets 275/40/17's. I think the M&H's would accommodate the 4.10's way better though, what do yall think.

Don, I'll be with ya eventually man. I'ma touch those 7's eventually. But damn I dont want a roll bar!!!!!

Last edited:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether to say "congrats" or "I'm sorry for ya"

"Congrats" on a great time at the track

"I'm sorry for ya" that you have picked up that needle. It will own you now...:bonebh:

I already called HPP Racing and told em to get ready for me. I also need to call DynoJoe or message him on a possible Roll bar for the Vert. I'm soooo excited.....but it's gonna kill me....

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need help with my launch tremendously. The first run I didn't heat up the tires and did decent, then my second run I turned the TCS off and slid all the way down the track through 3rd throwing tar all over the place and on the back of my ride which really blew balls and everyone laughed their asses off.

I did powerbrake it as well, I got it up to about 1500 then went all out with it. The tree kills me though, I always jump it....I'd be amazing at bracket racing...lol.

As of now I'm addicted. I'm doing the following as soon as possible.

- Tires
- Torque Converter
- Driveshaft
- Finish up CHE Suspension
- Maybe ARH Long Tubes if I have the funds
- DIET FOR ME AND CAR!!!!!

I was running with the tire in trunk, along with about an extra 100+ pounds of junk in the trunk ie some stock parts, school bag, tennis bag, car cleaning stuff, etc.

I also need some help on the converter as well. Maybe some of the suspension parts. For the tires I'm either going with M&H 325/45/17's or MT ET Streets 275/40/17's. I think the M&H's would accommodate the 4.10's way better though, what do yall think.

Don, I'll be with ya eventually man. I'ma touch those 7's eventually. But damn I dont want a roll bar!!!!!

Most 1/8 tracks don't look twice for a cage until you dip below 7.20 OOPS - forgot you have a vert. Yep - need a cage if you want to go further. Time to call dyno joe.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I already called HPP Racing and told em to get ready for me. I also need to call DynoJoe or message him on a possible Roll bar for the Vert. I'm soooo excited.....but it's gonna kill me....

Not you....your wallet...lol

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are leaving on the third amber. So if you're going red leaving on the third amber, I'd guess you are staging too deep. Try shallow staging, i.e., just barely lighting the stage beams. That will slow down your reaction time. It will also reduce your ET by a little.

If you're N/A, I'd recommend the shorter tires (especially with the heavier vert). I actually ran on 275/40-17 DRs even after I had the KB (at 8psi), and they hooked fairly well. I didn't switch to the 28" tires until after the build and 12psi boost.

As far as the roll bar goes, verts need one at 13.49 in the 1/4. Not sure what the limit is for the 1/8. For non-verts, it's 7.35. Maybe your local track is more forgiving than others.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LoL, Hawg, When you gonna be in town man. You still out on business.

Here this week, San Antoino next week, Boston the following week for two weeks, then back here for a week, then North Carolina for a couple of weeks, then back here for two weeks, then Redmond Virginia for a LONG ass time.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are leaving on the third amber. So if you're going red leaving on the third amber, I'd guess you are staging too deep. Try shallow staging, i.e., just barely lighting the stage beams. That will slow down your reaction time. It will also reduce your ET by a little.

If you're N/A, I'd recommend the shorter tires (especially with the heavier vert). I actually ran on 275/40-17 DRs even after I had the KB (at 8psi), and they hooked fairly well. I didn't switch to the 28" tires until after the build and 12psi boost.

As far as the roll bar goes, verts need one at 13.49 in the 1/4. Not sure what the limit is for the 1/8. For non-verts, it's 7.35. Maybe your local track is more forgiving than others.

Trying to leave on the 3rd light, but I jump it. So, just let one of the light thingies light up when staging?

Also, the MT's would better suit me than the M&H'S?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here this week, San Antoino next week, Boston the following week for two weeks, then back here for a week, then North Carolina for a couple of weeks, then back here for two weeks, then Redmond Virginia for a LONG ass time.

Damn, your having a blast!! I was actually gonna see if ya might wanna help me with some headers possibly...

Though, I'm calling Wade up at HPP right now to see what I can work out...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Real quick, What size rim best fits the MT ET street 275/40/17? Also with the M&H 325/45/17's...

I'm gonna get some 18x9/18x10 Bullitts for the street, and need something for outback for the track. What wheel?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Going for the QUAD post....

Also, on the Converters what do yall think about a 3200 Stall on the street. I'll be putting on average about 50 miles a day on my car starting in Aug, I drive in a small town around town a bit, occacional Ftworth/Dallas traffic, some highway here and there. 2800, 3000, 3200........which one could be a possibility....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back