What are you running your Mac Pro Chamber with???

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I put off installing my pro chamber with the Mac mufflers I already had. I installed it this past weekend. I broke a stud in the process and paid the local stealership $36 for a stud and nut. Ouch! So, I cut the legs off my old OEM h-pipe to keep the catts, tie in the PC, and got her done.

The result was less than satisfying. It sounds a hair louder/deeper than stock but it could still be confused with an otherwise stock setup. At idle it's barely noticable and I have to rev it past 4K to get a decent sound out of it. It's like the PC is acting like a 3rd muffler. :omfg:

Prior to this, I was running a Bullitt H-pipe with Mac mufflers, NO pro chamber. The Bullitt H created all kinds of "burbling", popping, etc... I loved listening to when I'd downshift with no gas. The idle was nice/louder/deeper and an unruley bastard at WOT with no raspy trumpet sound.

I'm willing to try ONE more muffler setup before the Bullitt H-pipe goes back on. Getting rid of the catts is not an option for me.

Any recommendations?

Gerardo

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
You could try swapping the stock cats for some hi-flows. I installed a pair of DynoMax cats on my O/R X-pipe cause I got tired of the smell and they didn't lower the volume much.

They'll also be cheaper than a new axleback. I paid $140 for the pair and 60 to have em' welded in.

Wlkn Tal

forum member
Reaction score
Coinsidentally I installed Mac LT headers with Prochamber last week, using magnaflow axle backs. I was running stock headers with pypes H Pype. I like it better because it's a little deeper sound and it's a little quiter. Personally I like it better so it doesn't drown me and the wife out while driving around town.

Last edited:

28ONE

Reaction score
Maybe try some Borla Stingers? I'm currently running MAC PC O/R with Borla Stingers. Not as loud as I thought it would be but it sounds pretty dam good. My friend has Pypes O/R H with Mac AB's, hella loud! As you stated, it appears the PC is a third muffler when your running cats...hence it's quiet

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
As you stated, it appears the PC is a third muffler when your running cats...hence it's quiet

Yup!

It's not what I was expecting at all. They seem to be ideal for someone who's running O/R H-pipe and aftermarket mufflers for sure. Then they'd land on not too obnoxiously loud but could never be confused for a stockish exhaust. That's where I want to be... but with catts... lol!

Gerardo

BlackBullittZ

Reaction score
I ran Borlaug stingers with the Mac O/R ProChamber on my 08 Bullitt and really enjoyed the sound. Go with the FRPP version of the Stingers as they'll cost you half the pice.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
I don't feel like making a thread, so I'm just going to ask a question in here. For those of of you running a prochamber already, do you feel I would need a set of resonators, if I get an O/R prochamber, to keep it the same loudness as my factory h-pipe and kr500s. In the addition of the prochamber I'll also be adding some long tubes.

28ONE

Reaction score
I don't feel like making a thread, so I'm just going to ask a question in here. For those of of you running a prochamber already, do you feel I would need a set of resonators, if I get an O/R prochamber, to keep it the same loudness as my factory h-pipe and kr500s. In the addition of the prochamber I'll also be adding some long tubes.

For me, if I put had to put on resonators, I might as well keep stock h. Having o/r mac pc is louder but not obnoxious like a pypes o/r h.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
For me, if I put had to put on resonators, I might as well keep stock h. Having o/r mac pc is louder but not obnoxious like a pypes o/r h.

Ok, that's what I figured. I wanted it a little louder, but not o/r h loud because I've done that and no me gusta.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
do you feel I would need a set of resonators, if I get an O/R prochamber, to keep it the same loudness as my factory h-pipe and kr500s.

I stick by what I said here.

Yup! They seem to be ideal for someone who's running O/R H-pipe and aftermarket mufflers for sure. Then they'd land on not too obnoxiously loud but could never be confused for a stockish exhaust.

Gerardo

It's difficult to get that decibel level running while catts, IMO.

Gerardo

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got an o/r Mac Prochamber with Corsa axlebacks, stock headers. No drone, pretty quiet when idling/cruising, but loud when you get on it. Quick clip

I had o/r pypes with JBA a/bs before, straight up obnoxious and tons of drone and trumpeting.

I think you may need to go hi flow cats as well. I'd keep the PC over the Bullitt H, just change out the cats.

Why can't you get rid of the cats? Inspection? Keep the stock cats and swap it out once a year.

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
I just swapped out my Mac axle backs the other day for Pype Bombs and didn't get the volume I was expecting even though it's with my Pypes X-pipe and I still have drone. It got me thinking, if I swapped my mid for the Mac Prochamber, would it get me more volume and the sound of my Mac Axlebacks? Or would there even be a difference? I could go with new headers but I have to stay with shorties due to emissions (don't want to risk LTs and a high flow cat) and I don't want trumpetting. Can anyone help me out, I also didn't want to waste a thread.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
From what I've read and talked to a few people about, the prochamber seems to quiet it down more than an h or x-pipe. I also ran an O/R H with jba axlebacks (for about 2 days). I hated it. Trumpeted like hell and was pretty raspy. If you are looking to get rid of drone buy some kr500s mufflers, also called the fr500s. I have them and they are almost 99% drone free.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet vids Hatchman!

I bought these earlier today from a member of a local Stang club. The price was too good to pass up.

http://www.partscheap.com/SSS-Mustang-Terminator-Exhaust-p/ss053b.htm

SS053B-2.jpg

I plan to keep the Pro Chamber and catts in place and see how that sounds. Then, I'll try it with the Bullitt H-pipe, SSS mufflers, and NO pro chamber.
Wish me luck!

Gerardo

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I installed the SSS mufflers yesterday and this thing is still not loud enough for me!!! I gunned it to and from work last night and this morning.

The Pro Chamber is coming off and I'm going to run the SSS mufflers with the Bullitt H-pipe.
I really think the PC is for Stangs running O/R H-pipes. :tdown:

Oh well...

Gerardo

28ONE

Reaction score
Well, I installed the SSS mufflers yesterday and this thing is still not loud enough for me!!! I gunned it to and from work last night and this morning.

The Pro Chamber is coming off and I'm going to run the SSS mufflers with the Bullitt H-pipe.

Oh well...

Gerardo

What's the difference between the stock H and the bullit H?

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Oh well...

Gerardo

It's the cats, ditch the cats or get some hi-flows.

And besides, you can't have a Prochamber AND an H-pipe. The Pro Chamber will replace the H crossover. I think you meant the Prochamber works best without cats, a O/R Prochamber.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but you should be able to sell that Pro Chamber no problem.

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
Prior to this, I was running a Bullitt H-pipe with Mac mufflers, NO pro chamber. The Bullitt H created all kinds of "burbling", popping, etc... I loved listening to when I'd downshift with no gas. The idle was nice/louder/deeper and an unruley bastard at WOT with no raspy trumpet sound.

Same as me, that setup sounds perfect IMHO. All I want now is some hot rod cams to give it that lope and it'll be perfect!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back