What Can I Use to Clean Vinyl Decals?

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
On my racecraft, I have a large silver vinyl on the hood. I've had the car for 3/4 of a year and I noticed I have a lot of water marks on the vinyl. I'm very meticulous when I wash my car and always dry it off thoroughly. These water marks seem semi-permanent, or at least I cannot just wash them away. I have vinyls on other parts of the car, but none of them are affect(or so it seems). I don't believe its an "engine heat" issue, I think it might just be you cannot see it on the others b/c of the angles and placement. I called Saleen and they said they were unsure what to use. They suggested posting up and asking what others have used. Any suggestions? I found this stuff, what do you think? Thanks in advance!

vinylcleandt.jpg

or this

vinyldt.jpg

I've used Zymol before and really like their stuff. Pricey, but if it works it'd be worth it.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I use Meguiar's Quik Detailer on the entire car (between waxes) and even on the decals. My decals are 3yrs old, black and the car doesn't see the garage often. The decals are still in fantastic shape and I attribute that to the weekly application it gets.

Sub-par picture, but you get the idea.

Stang1.jpg

Boozshey

Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience take that shit off right now and get new vinyl. Mine started that way then eventually the shit started to basically disappear, wrought away and eventually would just be the adhesive there which doesn't allow you to remove it. The car will have to be repainted at this point.

Had I known what I know now, about those damn stains I would have removed the vinyl when I first saw it and got new stuff put on.

Good luck if you keep it on.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Hmm. Thats interesting. I had contacted Meguiars before about this issue and they suggested not to use any of their cleaners or waxes on the vinyls.

I contacted Zymol and they told me that if you use wax(or even more cleaners, not washes) on vinyls, they will eventually lift up and bubble off the car. They said a lot of it depends on the vinyl itself and that I should ask Saleen. When I called Saleen, they didn't really know what to use and suggested I post it up. I think I need to call them again.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Boozshey, I'll take a picture of it and show you. I really think its some sort of cleaning issue, but I appreciate the heads up. Lemme get a picture first and see what you think.

2NY

icedesign
Reaction score
Hmm. Thats interesting. I had contacted Meguiars before about this issue and they suggested not to use any of their cleaners or waxes on the vinyls.

I contacted Zymol and they told me that if you use wax(or even more cleaners, not washes) on vinyls, they will eventually lift up and bubble off the car. They said a lot of it depends on the vinyl itself and that I should ask Saleen. When I called Saleen, they didn't really know what to use and suggested I post it up. I think I need to call them again.

Haha..dont know if saleen reps will know anything about the vinyl on your car. But sounds like some type of hard water stain. Maybe they just dried on the perfect sunny day and etched into the vinyl? Im not really sure but if its an issue like Boozshey is talking about..maybe you can bring it to the dealer and have them take a look at it and maybe have it replaced.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Well, I couldn't tell you. It's been over 3 years and no issues with my hood decal. All I know is that my car gets subjected to bird shit, Houston road grime, millions of mosquito and love bug suicides and it still looks good, spotless actually. The vinyl that was used for mine is of decent quality, I'd have to at least assume. I replaced the striping on the driver's side after I accidently hit it with the tip of a pressure washer, cutting/peeling the vinyl but not scratching the paint under it. You can't even tell it has been replaced, as it still matches the others.. Contacting Meguiar's is going to get you a "no-go," because they don't want to assume liability for suggesting you use their product in a manner other than was intended. All I knowis, that is what I use.

Maybe they just dried on the perfect sunny day and etched into the vinyl?

I get the mineral spots but they come right off. I have never had spots etch themselves in. As I said, perhaps my vinyl (flat black) is different (quality??) and we are not comparing apples to apples. I can say that it is very flexable and not too difficult to remove if the need arises.

Last edited:

Boozshey

Reaction score
Found some pics before putting on new stripes... But this is how it started. The stripes are about 2 years old in this pictures.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 46

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back