What have you done to your house today

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks Gabe. Will be getting some too.

You're welcome.

By the way, are you ever gonna change your user title from Admin to Site Owner or something more current?

I think it still says that under Kimmer's name?

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Bought a lamp for my desk and filled it with lost keys.

5a05305f8b8d7792a6a32f346a83b7b4.jpg

daa62fa1df9943aa4ffe14615fa22855.jpg

LOL we just cleaned out our spare key cabinet last week. It looks bare :beerdrink:

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
So we had our own inspector take a look at the foundation and framing of the house a couple of weeks ago, and he pointed out that the roof joists weren't lined up with the studs on the top floor. He did say that the builder was using a new building technique that allowed less materials to be used and more space for insulation without sacrificing structural integrity, and admitted that he didn't know too much about it. We submitted the report to the builder, and they said they were aware of it.

Yesterday I went by to check on the house, and it looked like they were moving along without addressing that issue. I asked the superintendent about it, and he said that the new technique allows for a bit of wiggle room on the joists lining up with the studs. He has been a pretty stand-up guy so far, so I am inclined to believe him, but what do you guys think? Are there any builders on here?

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
The inspector doesn't know the building code? Your area should have codes that specify stud spacing and everything you need to know.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
The inspector doesn't know the building code? Your area should have codes that specify stud spacing and everything you need to know.

Yeah, it's getting to be a bit stressful.

So a little bit of searching has lead me to believe the builder is using an advanced framing technique, which calls for in-line framing to be used. Supposedly, the in-line method allows them to use single headers. Since the picture shows a single header, I would think that it should be in-line.

I'm thinking I just need to call the inspector back and get him out there for a third time. Or, better yet, get someone who knows what's going on out there.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Looks kinda cheesy to me. Is that 18" or 24" spacing on the studs? 24" spacing is ok for a garden shed but a bit flimsy for a house.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Looks kinda cheesy to me. Is that 18" or 24" spacing on the studs? 24" spacing is ok for a garden shed but a bit flimsy for a house.

It's 24"

That's the whole advanced framing idea. I think I echo your feelings toward it, after all of this.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I don't know anything about carpentry/construction. I'd be the easiest guy to take advantage of in regards to it and I shamefully admit this.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
24" between studs?? No way id accept that. I wouldnt accept what looks to be a 2x4 as the only header between the 2 floors either.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about carpentry/construction. I'd be the easiest guy to take advantage of in regards to it and I shamefully admit this.

We're two peas in a pod, Cam.

24" between studs?? No way id accept that. I wouldnt accept what looks to be a 2x4 as the only header between the 2 floors either.

Supposedly, it's to make the home more energy efficient. It must work, because the builder is known to be one of the best energy-efficient builders in Colorado. In fact, they have the state's only passive house. It is about a block from my build.

Here's a link explaining the 24" concept.

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-030-advanced-framing

Of course, it all relies on everything being just so.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of fancy excuses for using less materials. Sorry, I know it's your baby and all but I'd rather have a stronger house with more conventional spacing and materials. In 10 years that floor is going to flex and squeak like crazy.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of fancy excuses for using less materials. Sorry, I know it's your baby and all but I'd rather have a stronger house with more conventional spacing and materials. In 10 years that floor is going to flex and squeak like crazy.

I beginning to think so, too. I guess we'll see. I'm about to contact the building department, as per the inspector's suggestion.

RedRide

forum member
Reaction score
Are there any builders on here?

I don't know where what you've been told came from; inline framing means everything should line up: whether it be a floor system ( studs line up / rest on top of joists ) or roof ( trusses or hand cut ) rafters should follow the stud layout.

Doing this allows you to use a single top plate ( the horizontal runner at the top of the wall studs ) otherwise a doubler ( sometimes called cap plate ) has to be there. You save very little material by doing so. New method of building...not really. It is usually used to accommodate some architectural fancies such as two walls stacked on top of each other to span the height of 2 storey in a stair well for instance, or when a foundation has "step downs" ( a concrete costs saving way ) and you build "knee walls" to bring everything to the same plane.

In the picture you posted it is absolutely inappropriate. The dead load of the floor will cause a greater than acceptable deflection in the system.

As for framing at 24" on center ( o.c. ) nothing wrong there; commonly done for a long time. It may only be done using 2" x 6" and up stud material though. This enables to use fewer studs and increases the depth of the stud bay; in which you'll now be able to cram thicker insulation with a higher R value.

Last edited:

RedRide

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at that picture again and noticed that where the girder is ( the joist that has a wider bottom member on the left ) has to have a point load under it ( studding under it, of the same width, going from base plate to top plate )

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Are there any builders on here?

I don't know where what you've been told came from; inline framing means everything should line up: whether it be a floor system ( studs line up / rest on top of joists ) or roof ( trusses or hand cut ) rafters should follow the stud layout.

That's what I am saying. The trusses are about 4" to the right of the studs. It's weird, because the basement and first floor are all inline, and half of the top floor is, but our master bedroom is off.

I meant to double check on the 2x6 thing, too. I am pretty sure those are 2x4s.

RedRide

forum member
Reaction score
I see you meant you were concerned with the 24" o.c. framing of the joists...sorry.

24"o.c. joists is not unheard of, but its not common either. Whenever building with engineered lumber you have to go from a plan made by a structural engineer based on what materials, loads and span. Maybe in your application its fine; I can't say.

However, in typical residential building there is no insulation in the ceilings from one floor to the next.

RedRide

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I am saying. The trusses are about 4" to the right of the studs. It's weird, because the basement and first floor are all inline, and half of the top floor is, but our master bedroom is off. I meant to double check on the 2x6 thing, too. I am pretty sure those are 2x4s.

I'm with you. That's some kind of screw up. Maybe some new guy did the layout. Who knows, but it should get corrected; simplest way ( now that everything is built ) would be to add studs inline with the joists and make sure they fasten them to the sheathing.

Last edited:

RedRide

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah please let me know.

I looked at the link you posted; not a bad way of thinking / building. Will net some savings, not great ones, but some. More about savings on framing materials and framing labor than anything else. The crew has to be on point though because a simple screw up in layout or lack of forethought / foresight will have pretty bad consequences as the margin for errors and " overkill " that is usually built-in in the regular platform framing ways are not there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back