What have you done to your house today

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah please let me know.

I looked at the link you posted; not a bad way of thinking / building. Will net some savings, not great ones, but some. More about savings on framing materials and framing labor than anything else. The crew has to be on point though because a simple screw up in layout or lack of forethought / foresight will have pretty bad consequences as the margin for errors and " overkill " that is usually built-in in the regular platform framing ways are not there.

Yeah, I'm thinking that is what happened and now they're just trying to avoid the time and expense to make it right. They mentioned having issues keeping crews as a reason for our delays.

Count

forum member
Reaction score
Wife decided to do "touch-ups" in the kitchen...When I look at it it's all spotty...lol...Of course my OCD kicks in and I'm now painting the damn kitchen...I swear she does it on purpose....

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Wife decided to do "touch-ups" in the kitchen...When I look at it it's all spotty...lol...Of course my OCD kicks in and I'm now painting the damn kitchen...I swear she does it on purpose....

Sounds like her plan worked pretty well.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score

Wife and I have an agreement: I do drywall, mudding, and sanding, she does the prep, prime, and paint. Right now she's painting the living room, and I've planted my fat ass on the couch in the other room about to tear into Netflix.

We started doing it that way after she saw how shitty I was at painting trim. Of course, I was deliberately shitty. I hate painting.

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
AJ I'll ask my dad about that. He is a custom home builder and also a GC for his second company. I'll pm you after I talk to him.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Drywall mud around the joints

Also known as tape and bed or floating.

Thanks guys.

Quick Google search and a youtube video showed me that I've already done "mudding" even though I didn't know that's what it was called, lol

Looking at installing laundry hook-ups in the bathroom next.
No more downstairs laundry! :D

I think it might be my first PEX project.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I would never have the laundry room on an upper level, too much risk involved.

friend of mine lost everything in his country house because of this. water was flowing as long as a month before it was noticed

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The first year I lived in this house I left one evening for an hour, came home and my washing machine supply hose had burst. It flooded half my house. Another thirty minutes and I would have had to replace every sheet of drywall in the entire house.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I would never have the laundry room on an upper level, too much risk involved.

friend of mine lost everything in his country house because of this. water was flowing as long as a month before it was noticed

The first year I lived in this house I left one evening for an hour, came home and my washing machine supply hose had burst. It flooded half my house. Another thirty minutes and I would have had to replace every sheet of drywall in the entire house.

I'm gonna have all new piping and hoses for this, and I'm contemplating putting a drain in.
The washer/dryer will be side-by-side on raised shelves/drawers/whatever-those-things-are-called, to get them about a foot higher than normal.
Putting in a drain would be a good idea from what I'm seeing above.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its the hoses and the washer itself you have to worry about. I dont see a drain helping. If a hose bust and you arent home, a drain pan isnt gonna catch that water to divert it out.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Its the hoses and the washer itself you have to worry about. I dont see a drain helping. If a hose bust and you arent home, a drain pan isnt gonna catch that water to divert it out.

The girlfriend's townhouse has had the washer/drier on the 2nd floor the whole time, about 30 years now, with no leaks.
My condo I just recently sold has the washer/drier in the unit, and no leaks in the 24 years I've known the condo.

If it's done right, I don't see the issue.

I absolutely despise the thought of having to go into the basement for laundry.

Having it right next door from the bedroom makes all the sense in the world to me, and I absolutely LOVE the idea.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score

That's a pretty cool gadget, I'll look into it more. Thank you.

My uncle built his into a tiled tub deal with drain just to avoid any issues

Kinda what I was thinking. We're doing tile on the floor anyway, I could easily do tile on the walls around the washer, and build a small ridge in front of it, then put in a drain that I could connect to the tub drain, then a p-trap, then the actual waste pipe.
The tub drain will be only a few feet away, depending on which machine I install on the right.
If the washer goes on the right, then the washer will be about 1 foot away from the tub drain, so I could easily tie something into it.

Count

forum member
Reaction score
Wife and I have an agreement: I do drywall, mudding, and sanding, she does the prep, prime, and paint. Right now she's painting the living room, and I've planted my fat ass on the couch in the other room about to tear into Netflix.

We started doing it that way after she saw how shitty I was at painting trim. Of course, I was deliberately shitty. I hate painting.

lol...I should do that...my eyes are not the same as they used to be...lmao

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
I beginning to think so, too. I guess we'll see. I'm about to contact the building department, as per the inspector's suggestion.

Just my opinion, but you are in Denver and your house will see significant snow loads! Maybe they could get away with "efficient" building techniques in Arizona or some where sunny, but I would be a little worried.

I don't know what your contract says for building techniques, but I would start looking into it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back