What have you done to your house today

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Helped my papaw feed the cattle today on the ice/snow. (I currently live on his farm.) Was definitely sketch.
24f2ee7cac09ef6c6513242646ca81b6.jpg

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Been cleaning up my house and property to get ready to close. Got inspections in couple days so took care of a few little things. New front door weatherstripping, new shower valves, cleaned out my shed. Holy crap, my shed was Jurassic Park. I had so many species of lizards living and breeding in there. I almost think maybe some new undiscovered species due to crossbreeding lmao. Seriously, no exaggeration probably 50+ lizards in a little shed that could hold like 3 or 4 push lawn mowers.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Been cleaning up my house and property to get ready to close. Got inspections in couple days so took care of a few little things. New front door weatherstripping, new shower valves, cleaned out my shed. Holy crap, my shed was Jurassic Park. I had so many species of lizards living and breeding in there. I almost think maybe some new undiscovered species due to crossbreeding lmao. Seriously, no exaggeration probably 50+ lizards in a little shed that could hold like 3 or 4 push lawn mowers.

Lol. Good luck on the inspections, man.

Our offer was accepted on the house! We close march 31!

Congrats! I'm looking forward to more pictures.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Went and checked on the house again today. More progress. All of the doors are in and adjusted, and most of the trim and window sills are in.

They've got the railing in, and are starting to drill for the rods.

The tile for the back splash in the kitchen is there, but they're waiting until the counter tops to go in.

It will go from the counter to the ceiling. The dust and sun kinda washed out this picture.

Still scratching my head about the that damn wall. Now that they have the pocket doors in that connect our bedroom to the bathroom, it's even easier to tell that it is off. Here's a picture of the door on my wife's side of the room. It is square.

Now here's the one on my side. There's about 2" from the edge of the doorway on the top, and only about 1.25" on the bottom. Plus the door drags a bit when it closes, but that might just be an adjustment.

Apparently they have a new building superintendent, so we'll see how he wants to handle the fix tomorrow. It will be interesting, since the bathroom is already tiled, and the interior painters are supposed to be starting tomorrow.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
^ Seems like their method of handling it is to ignore it until the repair would involve ripping apart half the house and hoping you'll simply accept it instead of waiting. They are trying to wait you out.

As I said earlier, I'd be knocking the fucking wall down and forcing them to address it.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
That first image of the pocket door is like a damn optical illusion.

Haha! It really is. I wonder if it was how I was standing, or the fact that I was shivering.

^ Seems like their method of handling it is to ignore it until the repair would involve ripping apart half the house and hoping you'll simply accept it instead of waiting. They are trying to wait you out.

As I said earlier, I'd be knocking the fucking wall down and forcing them to address it.

I really do think that's the case. I mean, they told me they were addressing it on numerous occasions, but never told me how -no matter how many times I asked. All the while, they continued moving on to the next element.

Haha, it might come to that. At least I'll have a method to vent all of my frustration. Should make for some pretty fun pictures.

Supposedly they are bringing over a superintendent from one of their other subdivisions to start handling things now. I'm wondering if they fired the other guy. I wouldn't be surprised.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Lol. Good luck on the inspections, man.

Thanks! The roof is the original roof which is over 18 years ago according to permitting. However there's no way, probably a roof that got done when a hurricane destroyed everyone's roof in around 2006. I didn't buy it until about 5 years ago. So we were kind of worried what the inspector would say. I had a roofer I know go up there to inspect it and he said it had 5 - 7 years left so that was a relief.

Got a few little things to clean up around here and I don't see much. Needed to replace the shower valves but got them in and the new valve wouldn't get the water very hot. Need to talk to my plumber and see what he says.

Here's a picture of the new house and my truck out front.

Exterior%20copy%202_zpsfqyqcys7.jpg

F150%20copy_zps0ffgeg1y.jpg

Supposedly they are bringing over a superintendent from one of their other subdivisions to start handling things now. I'm wondering if they fired the other guy. I wouldn't be surprised.

It makes a big difference. We were lucky and were able to get a new superintendent when the first one forgot he had an appointment to meet us for the first time. We already knew we wanted the other one so it really worked out in the end for us.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
What type of shower valve did you install? They all have limiting stops on them to protect kids from turning the water too hot and getting scalded.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Got the word that the underwriting went through. Closing Friday at 4pm. We went by Lowes to pick up some toilets we are replacing when we get the house and I found this rolling tool box for a steal so I picked it up!
da80a22051eaf1e396881755351e2c2b.jpg

a199c9a40f9e7beba44168083165912a.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Congrats! Being a single buyer without the benefit of two incomes I'm a bit tighter on qualifying. I have $60K of available unsecured credit on credit cards and can't use a dime of it until after closing. They are also giving me shit about not having enough income to pay two mortgages (no shit) but refuse to consider I will either sell or rent my house within 30 days of moving. I have an 824 FICO and $40K down, what more do they want?

And yes, new toilets are a requirement no matter what.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Being a single buyer without the benefit of two incomes I'm a bit tighter on qualifying. I have $60K of available unsecured credit on credit cards and can't use a dime of it until after closing. They are also giving me shit about not having enough income to pay two mortgages (no shit) but refuse to consider I will either sell or rent my house within 30 days of moving. I have an 824 FICO and $40K down, what more do they want?

Thanks Brian!

And that sounds ridiculous man. I don't know how you would have issues with that. Usually they don't consider any payments that will not continue after the purchase of the new home like previous rent or mortgage.

And yes I need the elongated bowls! haha

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score

Just find somebody that'll draw up a lease agreement to lease your house when you move. They don't give a crap once you close if they back out.

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score

That sounds crazy man, our bank would have let my wife qualify for our new house by herself (we havnt sold the old house yet) she makes 50k a year and has a 750 fico. It would have been a 220k current loan and a new loan for 290k. I told our bank it makes no sense not to have both of us on the loan... My score is like 10 points lower than hers and they wanted to use just here to save 10$ on our rate.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
What type of shower valve did you install? They all have limiting stops on them to protect kids from turning the water too hot and getting scalded.

It's a Delta shower valve and we just had to replace the cartridge. The package claimed it fit every Delta shower valve prior to 2005 or 2006. It ended up working and it got hot but for some reason when you put it on hot the pressure drops off. What's up with that? It passed inspection but I would still like to know. So if anyone knows lol.

That sounds crazy man, our bank would have let my wife qualify for our new house by herself (we havnt sold the old house yet) she makes 50k a year and has a 750 fico. It would have been a 220k current loan and a new loan for 290k. I told our bank it makes no sense not to have both of us on the loan... My score is like 10 points lower than hers and they wanted to use just here to save 10$ on our rate.

It just depends on so much stuff guys. If you aren't W2 for two years, have fun. They will bust your ass for every detail they can get. My first house was like that and now with W2s, wifey who makes about the same as me, we qualify for our new home while keeping our old house.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
It's only going to get harder for the younger generations to get home mortgages. Right now they are being extremely hard on individuals who still have student loans.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
The whole house is getting an IT upgrade. I finished pulling cat 6 from one end to the other, and now there's a healthy Zwave network going from garage doors to external and internal doors, to lights, to outlets, to driveway -- I'm having too much fun with this home automation.

Once I get the distributed audio and video figured out, I think I'll put wall mounted ipads throughout the house as means of control.

It's only going to get harder for the younger generations to get home mortgages. Right now they are being extremely hard on individuals who still have student loans.

No shit, the average amount of debt for an undergrad is about $30k, and 20% of those people default.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back