What have you done to your house today

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
More shack building. Don't like to bench need to buy another slab instead of bolting 2 pieces together.

5eb1ba239dc776cceba64628f96ff8bb.jpg

3a00401991eb8b8327a287ade809124a.jpg

fa10db9e933ec08059b5d2fb324ac58e.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fresh paint. I moved everything, but hired a painter.

DSCN1297%20Large_zpswejxc1lf.jpg

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Removed the asphalt 40 feet out from in front of the garage and a couple of feet of concrete in the garage to fix some long standing water ingress/drainage issues. Re-sloped the nose of the garage slab to provide outward drainage since the builder had it sloping inward. Installed a drain channel between the nose of the garage and the new 30'x40' concrete driveway to allow water to run away from the foundation through buried drainage pipe. Finished off the last 30' of retaining wall where the driveway slab abuts. Final step is the asphalt work that will take place in a few weeks.

Picked a great time to pour concrete since the weather is going to be fantastic for the next week. Lots of dry cure time!

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That slab of oak would have made a damn impressive rustic coffee table.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Anybody here ever had to deal with Radon? We had a test done on the house we are buying and it came back with a level of 2.6. I guess 4.0 is the recommended level to put in a mitigation system, but even so my wife is dead set on having one installed anyways. I thinks she's being crazy, what do y'all think. I looked at some pictures of systems installed and they look pretty ridiculous mounted on the side of the house.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Anybody here ever had to deal with Radon? We had a test done on the house we are buying and it came back with a level of 2.6. I guess 4.0 is the recommended level to put in a mitigation system, but even so my wife is dead set on having one installed anyways. I thinks she's being crazy, what do y'all think. I looked at some pictures of systems installed and they look pretty ridiculous mounted on the side of the house.

If she's that scared of it then pass on the house because she will never be happy or satisfied there. It's an invisible ghost and impossible to fight so don't even attempt it. Just walk away and keep looking.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
If she's that scared of it then pass on the house because she will never be happy or satisfied there. It's an invisible ghost and impossible to fight so don't even attempt it. Just walk away and keep looking.

Agreed, it will always be in the back of her head that something isn't right.

If, however, she likes the house enough to get it out of her head with an air movement system, that is all you need. Basically, you want to install an air vent to remove air from the lowest point of the home since Radon is a heavy gas. Most systems look like a downspout and typically run next to an existing down spout to somewhat hide the system. If you're handy, you can install it yourself and save $$$$.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score

That reading is really low. I'd be willing to bet you'll get similar, if not higher, readings at every house you test in your area. An amount that small would probably be disbursed by the airflow of your regular entering and exiting through the doors, but you can also get mitigation systems that are hidden. Our system is completely hidden, except for a pipe coming up out of the roof of our garage.

Oh, and our house averaged a 12 something on the test, but had periods that read in the 20s.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
One thing to note is the sellers have their crawlspace vents closed, so if we open them up the readings might come down. My wife bought a Radon test to do our current house with. Results came back as to low to read, so of course she doesn't believe and ordered another test and is gonna place it somewhere different than the first test.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
One thing to note is the sellers have their crawlspace vents closed, so if we open them up the readings might come down. My wife bought a Radon test to do our current house with. Results came back as to low to read, so of course she doesn't believe and ordered another test and is gonna place it somewhere different than the first test.

Sounds like she is in full panic mode. Good luck bringing her back to reality.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back