What have you done to your mustang today?

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Now that the car is converted to HPT and I've figured out how to datalog with it I'm ready to work on the "cheater" tune for getting it passed OBD2 testing. Probably weekend after next will get that done. Long term I'll get pro help and see if it can be passed without cheating.

Also need to get a front license plate bracket and take the breathers off for a catch can setup instead. More stuff that has to be done before I can get this car licensed outside of MT.

Lito worked with me on mine. Got the actual tune to read all ready but the tune revision before the one I currently use is what actually passed.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Lito worked with me on mine. Got the actual tune to read all ready but the tune revision before the one I currently use is what actually passed.

Lito doesn't do Coyotes though.
Smart man. They're a pain in the ass.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Today I didn't do much on mine, but I did change the spark plugs in the wife's Shelby, and I'm glad I did, since in about a year and half that they've been in there, they've gone from a gap of 0.030 to anywhere between .031 to .038

36036636650_4e7eddc566_o.jpg

Pulled 2 of my plugs just to check their condition, the first and 3rd on the passenger side:

36433437105_39df341dbf_o.jpg

36433436915_473a91c49b_o.jpg

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Hmm wow. I haven't had mine out for a few years and 6000 miles. Still seems to run fine. Is that normal for it to drift that much?

Last edited:

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
PHIL- nice job on the front end facia upgrades- and fog lamp relocation conversion-
I installed new cervini gt500 style front splitter on mine today and a trickle charger- the new splitter fit well, looks good but was a pain in the ass tightening the 14 bolt screws with a 9/32 open box ignition wrench-. I am to old to be laying on the concrete with the car on ramps!!!

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Today I didn't do much on mine, but I did change the spark plugs in the wife's Shelby, and I'm glad I did, since in about a year and half that they've been in there, they've gone from a gap of 0.030 to anywhere between .031 to .038

36036636650_4e7eddc566_o.jpg

Pulled 2 of my plugs just to check their condition, the first and 3rd on the passenger side:

36433437105_39df341dbf_o.jpg

36433436915_473a91c49b_o.jpg

What did your plug gap spec at? Just curious- is the light brown on the threads a version of anti seize- I have only seen silver(only used it a few times)

travelers

Reaction score
That's copper anti-seize. And Gabe it looks like you have 2 plugs running a little lean compared to the others. The middle 37 and 38 unless it the lighting.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just curious- is the light brown on the threads a version of anti seize- I have only seen silver(only used it a few times)

That's the copper "high temp" anti-sieze...though it's been my experience it still turns to dust in high temp applications like exhaust stuff.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That's the copper "high temp" anti-sieze...though it's been my experience it still turns to dust in high temp applications like exhaust stuff.

Which is exactly the reason why it's recommended to use only "high temp" nickel anti-seize, as 2 different metals such as copper and aluminum don't mix very well to begin with anyhow lol.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Installed a set of 650 lb rate rear springs. Went from a set of basic lowering springs, to a coil over set at 350 lb. Two weeks later, I up those to 500 lb rate. Then another two weeks later I put in the 650's. It seems like the firmer I go, the more comfortable and enjoyable the ride is.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Anti-sieze on threads is supposed to be a no-no I thought. I used copper RTV on my o2 spacers. 200 miles later I took the spacers out it looked fine.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Anti-sieze on threads is supposed to be a no-no I thought. I used copper RTV on my o2 spacers. 200 miles later I took the spacers out it looked fine.

Before they changed the plug design, not using anti-seize was an invitation for broken plugs during removal!

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Sure but not on the threads. If you're talking about the old heads on the 3v cars. If you follow the TSB they have you put it on the ground shield.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score

That's what I thought too. Something to do with affecting the torque spec?

Phil1098

Reaction score
I thought it messed with the grounding of the plug...

Nope, not in the least. Always put anti-seize on any plug that goes into an aluminum head. Have probably done 100 and have never had one issue. From lawn mowers, to Ducatis, to too many cars to mention. I did the plugs in my 06 with the extended tips and have not had a single misfire, code, or issue.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The issue with the old plugs and heads is that without the coating of anti-sieze on the electrode ground shield the carbon build up ends up basically "cementing" the plugs into the head. That along with the fact the plugs are a weaker two piece design, which normally would not be a problem, causes them to resist being spun out. Leading to broken plugs. And cuss words.

Phil1098

Reaction score
The issue with the old plugs and heads is that without the coating of anti-sieze on the electrode ground shield the carbon build up ends up basically "cementing" the plugs into the head. That along with the fact the plugs are a weaker two piece design, which normally would not be a problem, causes them to resist being spun out. Leading to broken plugs. And cuss words.

Agree 100%, that said, if you have ever had a plug gall in an aluminum head, you would never install without anti-seize again. Just go to the Permatex site and look at Anti-seize. The first use listed is spark plugs, not 05-07 4.6 Ford spark plugs, but spark plugs. Once aluminum galls, it is over. The threads with just start pealing out of the head. The TSB says nothing about threads, just that the extended shield needs it, but make sure to not get any on the electrode strap.

travelers

Reaction score
Just got home from the AM show at Maple Grove drag strip. A lot of newer mustangs, some 99-04s, Fox bodys and a few early years. 1 Mustang II. I'll post a few pic tomorrow. Two were running the new Holley intake manifold. It got a little warm but had a good time.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back