What have you done to your mustang today?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Inventoried all the aftermarket parts so I can remember what I have to remove before selling her. May have something coming this winter. Crossing my fingers.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Why do you guys part out your aftermarket parts before selling your car? The hours of labor you spend likely out-way savings/earning. You have to sell the parts for enough money that it offsets your labor to do the install AND removal... Don't forget the level of effort to sell the parts, shipping, the cost and value of the parts themselves... and that assumes the work actually affects the sale price of the car for the better.

Seems like WAY too much effort.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Why do you guys part out your aftermarket parts before selling your car? The hours of labor you spend likely out-way savings/earning. You have to sell the parts for enough money that it offsets your labor to do the install AND removal... Don't forget the level of effort to sell the parts, shipping, the cost and value of the parts themselves... and that assumes the work actually affects the sale price of the car for the better.

Seems like WAY too much effort.

1. I work on my car in my shop so there is no cost.

2. The shits fun to me.

3. I trade my car in to our dealership and aftermarket stuff obviously won't increase my buy figure.

4. I keep all my stock parts.

5. Many of the items will be put onto the possible new ride.

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
so it's a Mustang...

Oh boy... my wallet is already crying.

We need to talk before you drag all those parts up north though. LOL.

No, I will not let you destroy a perfectly good header. :asshat:

btw... what on earth makes you think I'd get anything else besides a Mustang?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
1. I work on my car in my shop so there is no cost.

2. The shits fun to me.

I can't help the fun part... but there is a cost for everything you do. Even if you do it yourself.

Lets say you make $40 per hour working. If you spend two hours installing a part and two hours removing a part, that is $160 in labor you could have earn if you worked for a customer or employer instead. Than, you need to clean up the part and make sure it it still in good condition to sell it. Post it on line. Spend time promoting it.

Once it sells, you have to get the shipping material, create it, take it to a shipping facility or pay extra for a package pickup, etc. All that stuff cost time and money. I can see easily spending another 2-3 hours with all that plus supplies.

Shit, if you are selling and shipping $250 LCA's, compared to leaving them on and going to work, you are going to have a net loss of $30 if you made back 100% of the $250 purchase price you spent. All the hours of labor, lost income, and likely wont affect your vehicle selling price. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Shoot, I got $2k over KBB for my jeep when I traded it and it was lightly modified.

Last edited:

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
No, I will not let you destroy a perfectly good header. :asshat:

btw... what on earth makes you think I'd get anything else besides a Mustang?

DAMNIT... I almost have it perfected how to totally fuck one up too.

and who knows with you... I thought at one point you had a Raptor on order? LOL

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I can't help the fun part... but there is a cost for everything you. Even if you do it yourself.

Lets say you make $40 per hour working. If you spend two hours installing a part and two hours removing a part, that is $160 in labor you could have earn if you worked for a customer or employer instead. Than, you need to clean up the part and make sure it it still in good condition to sell it. Post it on line. Spend time promoting it.

Once it sells, you have to get the shipping material, create it, take it to a shipping facility or pay extra for a package pickup, etc. All that stuff cost time and money. I can see easily spending another 2-3 hours with all that plus supplies.

Shit, if you are selling and shipping $250 LCA's, compared to leaving them on and going to work, you are going to have a net loss of $30 if you made back 100% of the $250 purchase price you spent. All the hours of labor, lost income, and likely wont affect your vehicle selling price. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Shoot, I got $2k over KBB for my jeep when I traded it and it was lightly modified.

I understand your logic, but money is money. I do this stuff for a hobby and I rationalize my time that way.

Why would I leave stuff in the car that amounts to $5K if I get maybe 1-2K for it more trading it in. Now, could I inflate a buy figure on my personal car? Sure, but that is totally irresponsible.

I would feel better selling the car with all the stock pieces too since we have had many cars come through with LT's and with VA emissions every year many customers don't understand how LT's, even with cats, can cause problems. The Kooks are worth my time to get out and sell.

Some of the items will be going to my GF's GT too, so that is another reason.

I would rather put all the stock stuff back on and sell the certain aftermarket parts than just sell the stock parts for a minimal amount of money.

DAMNIT... I almost have it perfected how to totally fuck one up too.

and who knows with you... I thought at one point you had a Raptor on order? LOL

Haha. I still do. >.<

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Spaz

while u make a valid point - two things - one you assume you can work those added hours. two - that time spent has better use.

for some those do no apply

NealAtTheWheel

forum member
Reaction score
I made my stang more aerodynamic last week.

Decided I didn't need a driver's side mirror, so I used a leyland cypress to help rip it off.

Now my car's wayyy faster because of less aero drag!!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I hate this rattle. Every time I think I've fixed it, it comes back. With the fender liner removed, its turned from a metallic rattle to something that sounds like pop rocks.

rage-face-530x298.jpg

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
I hate this rattle. Every time I think I've fixed it, it comes back. With the fender liner removed, its turned from a metallic rattle to something that sounds like pop rocks.

rage-face-530x298.jpg

my 2010 had that on the driver's side. i think it was the insulation where the fender and door meet. aka the white thing in this pic.

photo.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back