What have you done to your mustang today?

claudermilk

Reaction score
Looks like a fun show.

I spent the day driving the snot out of mine up & down Angeles Crest Highway. Very light traffic (surprised, plus 95% of the slower people got out of the way promptly), on mostly perfect new pavement (not even striped yet). That was a good day.

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Engine finally done and car is running.
f3d2ee23a88998c077043b3c25994ab4.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
Nice car show, looks like some not seen very offend cars...

As for your on ramp run, the last time I did 80 on a on ramp I got a ticket from a NJ officer..

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Put 1" hubcentric spacers on all 4 corners to bring the OEM wheels out to the edge of the fenders.

5bQdMJt.jpg

BEFORE

tZxQwmf.jpg

AFTER

1KuUVSS.jpg

rPlpsZ1.jpg

BEFORE

4gLFYvP.jpg

AFTER

02mA8v7.jpg

BEFORE

bit7HlW.jpg

AFTER

Gwn5hQ6.jpg

AFTER

jsPNX95.jpg

NAJLinl.jpg

biRYyRL.jpg

5VvyzEH.jpg

DQPZspe.jpg

TDvZIxZ.jpg

Ufd7Dpi.jpg

dem PHAT hips doe!!!!!!

:party36:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder why the oem wheels are tucked in so much.. I've always heard things like clearance for tire chains! Good grief. Next year I'm doing 1" on rear and 7/8" on front.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder why the oem wheels are tucked in so much.. I've always heard things like clearance for tire chains! Good grief. Next year I'm doing 1" on rear and 7/8" on front.

During the wet season / fall / winter, IMO, you want them tucked in. I use the oem rims + rain tires from mid oct to mid april. Then swap to the wider rims + correct offsets for the next 6 months.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Heh, I don't really have a wet season. Winter from November to the end of April. Dry the rest of the time.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Why not just get wider wheels instead? In most cases the S197 will take all the way up to 11" wide wheels with little or no modification required (see sig).

I have always felt there was something "fake" about spacing narrow OE wheels out to try to make the car look like it has wide wheels on it - having wide wheels that completely fill up the wheelwells is the basic message that a flush appearance is trying to convey. I'd maybe expect this on a low-buck Honda . . .

Just to sort of stay on the official topic, I waxed most of the Mustang today. Cleaner wax and then a regular wax. Ran out of energy because I'd done my wife's Subie first, so I've got the doors and about half of each rear quarter left for tomorrow. Every time I do this job I get reminded of how much work it is and how little satisfaction I get out of it . . . :banginghead: . . . couple days from now it'll still be shiny but I won't even notice.

Norm

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Why not just get wider wheels instead? In most cases the S197 will take all the way up to 11" wide wheels with little or no modification required (see sig).

I have always felt there was something "fake" about spacing narrow OE wheels out to try to make the car look like it has wide wheels on it - having wide wheels that completely fill up the wheelwells is the basic message that a flush appearance is trying to convey. I'd maybe expect this on a low-buck Honda . . .

Just to sort of stay on the official topic, I waxed most of the Mustang today. Cleaner wax and then a regular wax. Ran out of energy because I'd done my wife's Subie first, so I've got the doors and about half of each rear quarter left for tomorrow. Every time I do this job I get reminded of how much work it is and how little satisfaction I get out of it . . . :banginghead: . . . couple days from now it'll still be shiny but I won't even notice.

Norm

Not everyone wants new wheels. I ran the OEM Bullitt wheels spaced on my car because I really like the Bullitt wheels and I wanted clearance for Brembos. The only reason I changed out my wheels is because I was tired of dealing with the spacers and finding a shop that could balance my wheels without the weights hitting my brakes. I'd have kept the spacers and the wheels if it wasn't for that problem. I wasn't trying to give off the illusion of wide wheels, just wanted something that looked much better than the factory offset.

I had also planned on getting the rears widened in the future. Who knows, maybe I'll hold onto the spacers and do it down the road. I'm still having a hard time bringing myself to post the Bullitts for sale lol.

16062475629_bab49be742_c.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
As Pentalab already brought up, when you're driving in the rain, or down dirt roads, or in winter conditions involving snow/slush/etc., you probably don't want your tires throwing all sorts of debris up at your car's paint.

Ford has to design for those conditions, even if they don't happen to apply to eighty6 or any other individual. A too-flush wheel positioning would soon cost Ford sales by the people who realize what would happen, who would at worst have learned that lesson the hard way once or twice previously.

Years ago, the similar fad was "chrome reversed wheels". That was when cars had their wheels really set back into the wheelwells. The S197 wheel location has nothing on these for being buried inside the metal.

bk1960electraconv7601.jpg

I do need to get to the rest of that waxing task.

Norm

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
7/8" spacers w/ Brembos FTW.

I planned on widening the wheels because it was the offset that killed it for me, but now I'm in the position to sell the car and move on.

99a822fa402819a44f672fc3273b91c7.jpg

bf7a4a049b3eb3c3e33b382cc04de411.jpg

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Oh so that's the reason....always wondered why. Even the high end exotics don't offer flush wheel fitment.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Got it ready to be repo'd since it is in the Ex's name and she filed bankruptcy on it. Had to clean my shit out of it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back