What have you done to your mustang today?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Today I put together the new China Freight engine hoist I snagged for $99.99 a couple weeks ago.
Its first job is to bring home a '60s Ford 390 V8 we're buying from a friend for the '69

I screwed up and poked a hole in the rubber plug for the hydraulic fluid, so I'll have to replace that and top off the fluid before I can use it, but at least it's put together and it's no longer just 2 large heavy boxes leaning against various things in the garage

engine-hoist_20161230b.jpg

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Got the oil changed and looks like just in time. It's supposed to rain for the next 6 or 7 days straight.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Broke off a home-made harmonic balancer install tool off about 1.5 inches into the crank, and with help from God, managed to extract it with a chisel. Damn near shit myself on that one!

ATI balancer is now on, along with billet oil pump gears, and billet lower timing sprocket, and the Paxton install is finally going along nicely...

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
What was your tool made from that it broke? That is bizarre. Also that it managed to break inside the threaded area. WTF.

I am making one with the old crank bolt, a piece of fine threaded rod, a joiner (elongated nut,) and a thrust bearing.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm hoping the force used to draw on a properly fitted balancer hub is less than the tensile strength of what's probably a 3/4" bolt!

edit: it's M12, fine thread, 5000 lb on a napkin I'd actually figure it out but trying to get back into actually working after my xmas vacation ;)

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I multi-quoted below, sorry for the double post

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
What was your tool made from that it broke? That is bizarre. Also that it managed to break inside the threaded area. WTF.

I am making one with the old crank bolt, a piece of fine threaded rod, a joiner (elongated nut,) and a thrust bearing.

They make grade 8 all thread which is what you need to use. If there is a next time.....

I'm hoping the force used to draw on a properly fitted balancer hub is less than the tensile strength of what's probably a 3/4" bolt!

edit: it's M12, fine thread, 5000 lb on a napkin I'd actually figure it out but trying to get back into actually working after my xmas vacation ;)

That or a double shear bolt.

The threads are 12mmx1.5 instead of the regular 1.75, so all-thread, and a connecting nut was unavailable to me, so I just welded some all-thread to the old threaded portion of the original bolt with it's head cut off. Instead of a bearing like the kits usually have, I greases up a stack of washers, and it actually worked fine, my welds on my 3/8" all thread definitely didn't obviously, hahaha. It actually hung in there until the balancer seated, but just couldn't handle any more after that.

All I know is that my impatience could've costed me some very serious frustration, but I lucked out this time.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ah, that makes more sense. It's difficult to fit a weld around a substantial piece of that ~1/2" shank. I think I will use a larger threaded rod or bolt for the draw section, as long as it fits through the hub of the balancer you're OK.

travelers

Reaction score
The threads are 12mmx1.5 instead of the regular 1.75, so all-thread, and a connecting nut was unavailable to me, so I just welded some all-thread to the old threaded portion of the original bolt with it's head cut off. Instead of a bearing like the kits usually have, I greases up a stack of washers, and it actually worked fine, my welds on my 3/8" all thread definitely didn't obviously, hahaha. It actually hung in there until the balancer seated, but just couldn't handle any more after that.

All I know is that my impatience could've costed me some very serious frustration, but I lucked out this time.

You rolled the dice and it worked out for you. That's all that counts. Good job.

travelers

Reaction score
I just received the last piece for my trans T56 magnum XL swap today. The new driveshaft. In about 3 weeks. Also going with 3:73s as the first gear is 2.97.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
You rolled the dice and it worked out for you. That's all that counts. Good job.
Thanks man, I think when they sell you a balancer bolt, they should include a piece of all thread and matching nut that matches the bolt, but then selling harmonic balancer installation tools would be a little tougher I suppose.

travelers

Reaction score
Strange drop shipped the new C clip eliminator axels and received them today through JPC who also had the drive shaft in stock for the trans swap.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Ordered the new fuel system today will arrive Monday - should be dyno tuning before the end of the month with the new smaller pulley built shortblock- going to be running e-85- should be interesting on 15 psi and E.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Ordered the new fuel system today will arrive Monday - should be dyno tuning before the end of the month with the new smaller pulley built shortblock- going to be running e-85- should be interesting on 15 psi and E.
Are you still planning on running this power on 20" wheels like I think you stated on an earlier post?

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Yes a 20" mickey 305- I went back to the stock converter- so it will be a lot mellower out of the hole- should still pull 1.65-68 60's and the end goal is to go 9.50's in the 1/4 when dialed in and run a couple 1/2 mile races and hit 170mph. these are goals should be close- driver to get a diet plan as well- will have to switch to 3.31's though to do my 170 in the half-

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Replaced my pads and rotors with some zinc coated slotted rotors and Posi-Quiet brake pads. I ordered these from a company called RotorPros. They took a while to get here, but they were super inexpensive. The company uses Centric blanks, so they're not cheapo rotors. I couldn't believe what a bargain they are.

32045646741_bd61fc736d_c.jpg

I also installed a set of BMR GT500 performance springs. After installing my Bilsteins the ride was a little uncomfortable with the soft spring rate on the SP009. The higher rates from the GT500 springs made the car much more comfortable with the Bilsteins. The front sits a touch higher than I'd like, but overall I'm really happy with them.

32045645821_5d8a91e75e_b.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back