what next?

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I ran my car bone stock I got a best of 14.1 @98mph. Since then I have added a JBA axle back and a K&N panel filter which correct me if I'm wrong is good for close to nothing as far as power and speed. In the spring I'd like to go back to the track with drag radials and a C&L racer CAI/SCT X3 tuner combo which I can get for $575.00. Does anyone run the above combo with a similar car to mine and if so do you like it or not? This seems like the best kit considering I have to watch my budget.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I have the C&L Street CAI. I am thinking about replacing it with a PVC type elbow. The metal hold a lot of heat.

My buddy Scott has most of the same type of mods that I do, only he has a JLT II CAI and a Bama tune. He has always been faster than me...

Even now, I pulled a 12.844. I called him up braggin' like a champ. Two days latter he pulled a 12.835!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the C&L Street CAI. I am thinking about replacing it with a PVC type elbow. The metal hold a lot of heat.

Without dragging up the same old metal holding heat conversation that has been covered a hundred times, let me just say that the metal intake tube is not causing a problem.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
The metal intake tube also doesn't deform as plastic or PCV intake tubes can.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Without dragging up the same old metal holding heat conversation that has been covered a hundred times, let me just say that the metal intake tube is not causing a problem.

true shit

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
bitches, you can't polish that plastic shit up like the aluminum either, hahahaha

SixtySix

ZonieBaloney
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Werd! The naysayers seem to think that it's a static environment:idea:

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

My buddy Scott has most of the same type of mods that I do, only he has a JLT II CAI and a Bama tune. He has always been faster than me...

I was also looking into an Anderson Ford Motor Sport CAI but it is 500 bucks so I'm not sure its worth it when I can get a CAI/tuner for 575....Also are the SCT tuners easy to use if your like me and used to the fox body cars where everything was basic as could be not much computer mods?

88_Stanga

i did a best of 13.0@104 with slicks, SLP LM's and the C&L Racer kit.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i think the next step should be a supercharger haha

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

Kickin' around on the street I would agree. However, I have burnt my arm leaning against it by mistake after a few passes at the track. That can't help keep the charge temp down.

So, if the tube temp doesn't matter, why do I see people with intercoolers and ice boxes and bags of ice sitting on their intakes between runs? Same thing with CO2 coolers.

The metal intake tube also doesn't deform as plastic or PCV intake tubes can.

How fuckin' hot is it under your hood? LOL

bitches, you can't polish that plastic shit up like the aluminum either, hahahaha

Mine is a seriously pitted, painted AL tube. No way to buff it. I thing the Race version (still considering) is painted black too.

i think the next step should be a supercharger haha

Sure, you got $6k-$7K he can have?

BTW, are you keeping your old engine or are you gonna sell it?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im keeping it for now. haven't decided what to do with it yet. i may get the block machined and build an engine myself. see if i can do it following some books i've been reading. make a duplicate Short Block of what i have. or i may keep it stock, or just sell it and recoup some cash. Ive got the stock Tranny as well lol

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Well if you decide to sell it, I can think of about 10 guys here (including myself) that are willing to buy it.

I have to tell you, building an engine is A LOT easier than most tuners want you to think. I have built more than 5 as a hobbiest. They all ran great after dial-in.

The main reason why tuners still get build business from guys like me is because I have done 5 total in my life. Pro tuners might do 5 or 6 this month. You can't buy that kind of experiance.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ill definately keep you in mind. make me an offer. i might be swayed haha

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
$6.00 and I'll pick it up ;-)

How many miles / track passes on the current build?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back