What to buy 2014 Shelby GT500 or 2014 Corvette?

shawnxrox

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in a dilemma. I've been Mustang guy my whole life. Had a 2001 Saleen, 2007 Cervini C500 and just recently a 2013 Roush Stage 2 that I sold.

I'm looking to get a new toy. I am between a 2014 Shelby GT500 and 2014 Corvette z51.

I got rid of my 2013 because prices were crashing because of new model coming out. I like to have the "newest" toy. I feel like the "corvette" is more modern and styling then GT500. But GT500 has more power etc. Never had a vette before...

I'm 29, I checked insurance rates. GT500 is 2,000 more a year for car insurance then the vette. I'm in the 65K budget range.

What would you do?

shelbie67

forum member
Reaction score
Both are great cars. It's really comes down to what you can afford. The 2k+ in extra insurance is a lot! I love my mustang and wouldn't want to get rid of it. My dad is a corvette lover so I grew up with them as a kid. Fun cars to drive.

I would drive both and compare options vs the money and go with what makes a bigger smile :)

Good luck on your endeavor!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I'd start saving some money lol.....no seriously they r two totally different cars. I would go GT500 but that's me.

shawnxrox

forum member
Reaction score
I hate the idea that Shelby is so much for more insurance. 2K is a lot. If I keep it for 3 years or so that's $6,000. Both cars seem to hold there values very well...

Always been mustang guy and felt like Corvette was old mans car.

At a "car meet" what do you think would turn more heads Shelby or Vette?

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
the new vettes are going to become a common very quickly because of the styling and name...the gt500 wont and will probably hold its value better. At least in my area that is what seems to be true.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Are you really looking to the opinion of a bunch of people you don't know for such an important decision? Or are you wanting attention?

shawnxrox

forum member
Reaction score
Give me attention please!

No I just wanted to get feedback. And its not "that big of a decision". Its a car/toy...

They wont let you drive the Stingray unless you put deposit down to buy it. Was trying to get feedback from Shelby owners because I never had a Shelby.

Geico is my insurance. Vette very cheap to add only $400 every six months whereas Shelby is $1400 increase.

shelbie67

forum member
Reaction score
Try another company....that's complete bull$***.....

Stay gt500 if you can find another insurance company, if not then still stay gt500 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepImpactPony

forum member
Reaction score
I own a 2013 GT. This past Monday I went with my friend up to Tasca Ford in Rhode Island to pick up his 2013 Shelby GT500, after they did a stage 2 power upgrade to it. Rode back to Connecticut, as a passenger, and I have to be honest, other than the extra power, it was just like being a passenger in my GT. Of course when you see it outside it screams Shelby, but sitting inside the car, not much different then a GT. Power and handling, I'm sure as a package would be in favor of the vette, but sheer brute power would go to the Shelby, while the handling would pale in comparison to the vette.

06Rousher

forum member
Reaction score
Eh the vette's are all ready starting to become abundant in my area. IMO if I was at car show I wouldn't care too much for the stingray
Seeing a shelby almost makes me break my neck

shawnxrox

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to see what people thought.

My 2013 Roush turned heads ALOT but lacked power because it was stage 2. I've only seen 1 stingray on road here so far, nobody seems to have them.

If I'm going to spend 65K on a car, I want it to stand out which is why I asked about what turn heads more. Every insurance I'm looking at online so far Shelby is ALOT more.

At this point in my life, I'm out of the "racing" mode like I used to be in. Just want something real nice with balls to it to cruise around. 65K is my budget, I even thought about a AMG Benz, or M3 but they depreciate like ridiculous.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
At the age of 29, I'd love to know what you're doing for a living that allows you to buy a $65k car that's only a year newer than your last. I need to get into that line of work.

garner

forum member
Reaction score
Give me attention please!

No I just wanted to get feedback. And its not "that big of a decision". Its a car/toy...

They wont let you drive the Stingray unless you put deposit down to buy it. Was trying to get feedback from Shelby owners because I never had a Shelby.

Geico is my insurance. Vette very cheap to add only $400 every six months whereas Shelby is $1400 increase.

You need to find a different dealer. My dad test drove the c7 with no deposit.

But I definitely say vette. He has a c7 2lt and his interior is so much better than my 5.0(as I'm sure you know), that right there would be the deciding factor for me personally

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Wanna make both Shelby & Vette owners turn their heads?

Get a Prius and install a fart can.
Every time you pull up beside a Shelby or Vette at a red light, crack the throttle.
You'll have them turning their heads.....and laughing their asses off.

hotrod_renegade

Captain Hindsight
Reaction score
Wanna make both Shelby & Vette owners turn their heads?

Get a Prius and install a fart can.
Every time you pull up beside a Shelby or Vette at a red light, crack the throttle.
You'll have them turning their heads.....and laughing their asses off.

Doesn't the engine shut off when it comes to a stop? Still wouldn't hear anything... :crazy:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Discussing buying a Shelby or a Vette for $65k and making a measly $2k/year in insurance the deciding factor doesn't really need EITHER car!!!! I can see gas mileage as being the next deterrent................PRIUS or Corolla for you :nk:.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Stop making choices on what somebody else wants. What do you want?

If you want to turn heads, buying a brand new toy doesn't work as well as buying something obscure and older. I know I would rather look at an 80's ferrari over a new plastic toy any day of the week. Price point isn't even that much different.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back