What's my noise? Video included

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score

Just started knocking, stopped driving it. But I need to fix it ASAP. I unplugged both vct to see if the noise stopped, it didn't. Car has comp mutha thumpr cam switch phaser limiters.

Not sure if it's drivetrain or rod knock. It's very loud, only reason I think it may not be valve train/lifter noise.

Last edited:

The Big Herm

Build in Progress
Reaction score
What were you doing when this began? Normal driving? Revving it and/or pushing it hard? Sounds like rod knock to me, but I am on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
No real hard driving. I'm pretty easy on it. Had 4.10s installed, and put in my new bama tune. It started a week ago but was very quiet, I passed it off as normal 3v valve train noise, because it would do it when I cranked it up for 2-3 seconds and stop. Then I cranked it up one morning and it escalated to this, so I took the video and parked it.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like rod knock, which tends to be a double-knock. It's always hard to diagnose something like this over the internet. But I'm wondering if you have a broken follower, chain tensioner, VCT problem, etc.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like rod knock, which tends to be a double-knock. It's always hard to diagnose something like this over the internet. But I'm wondering if you have a broken follower, chain tensioner, VCT problem, etc.

This^^^ Sounds like one hell of an exhaust leak also....maybe just the video though

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Well if it is an exhausts leak u can hold some rags on the exhaust tips to make the exhaust leak louder. If it does get louder u know its an exhaust leak. If not use a stethoscope and see if u can hear if the noise is comming from under the valve covers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
i just recently started having this same noise. but mine is quiet at first and then loud when it warms up. and when you turn the car off it makes a pretty bad noise too. ill get a video.

im curious to see what you find. good luck

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's exactly how mine sounded when I had a cam follower go out to the point where it wiped out a cam lobe. Just came out of no where... No pre ticking, just started up drive for a bit.. Came to a stop and heard a knocking just like that. Time to pull the valve cover bro...

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
Was it louder on the drivers side? Asking as the video was only of the driver's side hood closed.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First I would make sure the spark plugs are all seated, then pull the valve covers and check everything out.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pull the valve covers. With aftermarket cams I am willing to bet its a valvetrain problem. Probably a broken follower. You can pull the valve covers in a few minutes.

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
I took covers off and didn't visually notice anything. Anything I should look for or keep an eye out for? I'll take pictures in the morning.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
How many miles are on the car? Are you on the stock spark plugs still?

Sent from my helicopter

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
Nota. Car has 95k in sure they are stock. If you want to come help, you are more than welcome! I live off of 181!

Bigchris. Phaser looks fine, from what I can see. And I unplugged the VCT and the noise continued

Last edited:

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
Nota. Car has 95k in sure they are stock. If you want to come help, you are more than welcome! I live off of 181!

Bigchris. Phaser looks fine, from what I can see. And I unplugged the VCT and the noise continued

I would stop by if I was in town. Next Friday I should be back. If you're still having problems I'll stop by. Check the spark plugs if you have a chance. It's probably time to replace the stock ones anyways. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Sent from my helicopter

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back