What's the car's potential?

KDT

forum member
Reaction score
I have been to the local 1/8 mile dragstrip twice so I am very inexperienced when it come to racing. My best run so far has been a [email protected] and that was with a 1.86 60' time. I made this run with normal street tires. I plan to get some drag radials pretty soon and maybe a line lock to help with heating the tires. My rwhp is 443SAE. I have to ease it off the line and I still spin some when I hit second. I know the car is capable of better times. What do you guys think that I can realistically expect with a good set of tires and a good pass? I can still up the boost a little to get around 475-480rwhp, but I want to get the most out of what I currently have first. I wonder what I might could do in the 1/4? Any ideas. I just want to know where to set my goals. I would love to hear that I have another .4 - .5 seconds in it without changing the blower pulley.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you have the tire and suspension the car IMHO is capable of 11.5-11.7 or the 1/4

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
your welcome... the driver has to be capable as well. I know my car has .1-.2 more in it with a better driver then I.

KDT

forum member
Reaction score
No, not right now. I have run it on the street for a couple of days but I feel it is way too much power for the stock clutch and regular street tires. I plan to switch back to it once I get those two things taken care of. I also want to get all I can out of the 3.8" pulley before I go that route. My 1st outing at the strip resulted in a lot of wheel spin and a 8.19 ET. Last week I installed a set of BMR relocation brackets and readjusted my pinion angle. Just doing that dropped my ET to 7.78. I would love to get at least in the 7.40s before I change pulleys. I am hoping that I can get at least a 7.40 without upping the boost since I am trapping over 93mph.

Last edited:

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. That is encouraging to see you in the mid 400RWHP range with the base pulley. I want to bump mine up to about that level and have the 3.5 inch pulley, GT500 pumps and a CAI sitting in the garage. I might just do it phases and just try an updated tune with the CAI and pumps. But with headers, yours is obviously a little more free flowing.

I want to finally get mine to the track this year and breaking into the 11's is my goal.

KDT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. That is encouraging to see you in the mid 400RWHP range with the base pulley. I want to bump mine up to about that level and have the 3.5 inch pulley, GT500 pumps and a CAI sitting in the garage. I might just do it phases and just try an updated tune with the CAI and pumps. But with headers, yours is obviously a little more free flowing.

I want to finally get mine to the track this year and breaking into the 11's is my goal.
The GT500 pumps, competition intake, and long tubes seem to be worth an additional 35 - 40 rwhp. That should get you an 11 second time slip. I have also discovered that the Aeroforce performance computer is very accurate. I have run an 11.8 ET with the large pulley according to it. I ran an 11.5 with the 3.5" pulley with it but wheel spin through second was terrible. If I get everything working, I hope to run mid to high 11s on the big pulley and low 11s on the 3.5". Then it will be time to start thinking about a short block and a 3" pulley. LOL One thing I am learning right quick, there is more to a good time slip than just rwhp!

Last edited:

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, not right now. I have run it on the street for a couple of days but I feel it is way too much power for the stock clutch

I think you'd be surprised what a stock clutch can handle. I ran over 100 passes on mine before it gave up the ghost.

KDT

forum member
Reaction score
I think you'd be surprised what a stock clutch can handle. I ran over 100 passes on mine before it gave up the ghost.
The stock clutch has already surprised me but I try not to abuse it either, No hard drop clutch starts or ridding on it. I just slip it a little on the start from not much more than idle.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I have been to the local 1/8 mile dragstrip twice so I am very inexperienced when it come to racing. My best run so far has been a [email protected] and that was with a 1.86 60' time. I made this run with normal street tires. I plan to get some drag radials pretty soon and maybe a line lock to help with heating the tires. My rwhp is 443SAE. I have to ease it off the line and I still spin some when I hit second. I know the car is capable of better times. What do you guys think that I can realistically expect with a good set of tires and a good pass? I can still up the boost a little to get around 475-480rwhp, but I want to get the most out of what I currently have first. I wonder what I might could do in the 1/4? Any ideas. I just want to know where to set my goals. I would love to hear that I have another .4 - .5 seconds in it without changing the blower pulley.

Your 93+ mph trap speed should be good for 7.30's in the 1/8 mile with proper traction and driver skill. 7.30's is the rough equivalent of 11.50's in the 1/4 mile (at about 119 mph).

A friend of mine owns 2008 Bullitt #279 and recently had an Edelbrock E-Force blower installed. On a stingy Mustang Dyno, it laid down 455 rwhp at 10.8 psi boost. These E-Force blowers are very nice!

KDT

forum member
Reaction score
Your 93+ mph trap speed should be good for 7.30's in the 1/8 mile with proper traction and driver skill. 7.30's is the rough equivalent of 11.50's in the 1/4 mile (at about 119 mph).

A friend of mine owns 2008 Bullitt #279 and recently had an Edelbrock E-Force blower installed. On a stingy Mustang Dyno, it laid down 455 rwhp at 10.8 psi boost. These E-Force blowers are very nice!
Thanks Five Oh Brian. That info is very encouraging. I would be ecstatic if I ran a 7.30 in the 1/8 or a 11.5 in the 1/4. Especially without a pulley change. With me it is not about the lowest ET as much at it is getting the most out of what I have. I would be much more satisfied knowing that I got a 7.80 out of a 7.70 car than I would if I ran a 6.90 with a 6.50 car. That's what it's all about to me.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back